Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UND @ UNO Dean and Dave take it outside Feb 8th & 9th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
    both will be serving
    Over served and under supervised, sounds perfect.
    "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
    Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
    The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
    Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Re: UND @ UNO Dean and Dave take it outside Feb 8th & 9th.

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
      Can you tell me if beer or liquor is served at either venue this weekend?
      It is unequivocally being served both places. The Centurylink Center (the "Clink") is a city owned venue and alcohol is served at every UNO game. Beer, wine, liquor, you name it. There is a huge full service bar at one end of the arena with a sweeping view of the rink. It is also sold at numerous kiosks and at every concession stand (beer, only) in the arena of which there are many. Be advised that this is an NHL quality and sized facility. It seats 17,100 for hockey. The cheapest beer in the entire building is at a kiosk near the south entrance to the arena where they sell two can of either Schlitz, Pabst, and I think Grain Belt for 6 bucks. The sign on the kiosk says across the top of it "Free Beer" and in smaller print below it "Tomorrow".

Same thing as far a TD Ameritrade is concerned. Owned and operated by the City and it's operating authority, MECA (the Metropolitan Entertainment & Convention Authority) and if you have ever taken a look at the UNO hockey fan forum (Mavpuck) there have been inquiries about this directed to MECA by board members over the last 30 days or so which has been discussed in a couple threads there and the answer was affirmative from MECA.

I've heard conflicting stories about how many times fans will be allowed "pass-outs". It started with one in all news reports I've seen but then I saw an interview with Omaha Sports Commission President Harold Cliff (the entity sponsoring the outdoor event) between periods of the UNO/Michigan Tech broadcast last Friday night and he said "a couple times" during the interview. Ask before you leave the park between games, if you do.
      Last edited by Red Cows; 02-08-2013, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Over served and under supervised, sounds perfect.
        Very fitting for the Whioux! Especially for any of the team who are scratched and sitting in the arena. Should even be warm enough to keep all their toes should they venture outside.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          Very fitting for the Whioux! Especially for any of the team who are scratched and sitting in the arena. Should even be warm enough to keep all their toes should they venture outside.
          Well UNO and UND are like minded programs who's fans and alum enjoy adult beverages during a game and being like minded we understand how schools like UMTC can be jealous of our facilities, policies, and ability to consume alcohol at a hockey game without puking on the bus ride back to the bar.
          "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
          Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Well UNO and UND are like minded programs who's fans and alum enjoy adult beverages during a game and being like minded we understand how schools like UMTC can be jealous of our facilities, policies, and ability to consume alcohol at a hockey game without puking on the bus ride back to the bar.
            Like minded programs but I doubt the red cows can match the Whioux players' proclivity for consumption of adult beverages. Even by those who are not legally adults.

Comment

I have a feeling the Whioux sweep this series. I just don't think Faulkner will be able to keep UND under 4 goals a night.
              Originally posted by SJHovey
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                I have a feeling the Whioux sweep this series. I just don't think Faulkner will be able to keep UND under 4 goals a night.
                I think the whole outdoor thing kind of makes the entire series a complete wild card. Coach Blais so wants his guys to focus on tonight that they are not even setting foot on the outdoor ice until tomorrow morning. By the way, the Omaha Lancers did practice on it yesterday and they pronounced the ice "awfully hard".

Aside from the game itself on Saturday, I think we're gonna hear quite a bit about the unsuitability of this facility for a hockey game come Sunday morning. There are not any real good sight lines anywhere. As I said in the UNO thread, Dave Ahlers, UNO's play-by-play man, during Coach Blais' radio show last week, expressed large concerns about his ability to call the game from the assigned vantage point for the broadcasters. He seriously thought they'd need binoculars.

About 12,000 tickets have been sold for tomorrow. UNO's promotion (just like that of almost anything hockey at our "hockey" school") has been predictably lackluster, almost non-existent, and unimaginative. Sigh...... There probably will be around 10,000 or so at tonight's game. They have undraped one section of the arena (upstairs) that normally is undraped to accommodate. I would not be shocked to see a reasonably good walk-up tonight and a crowd maybe even approaching 11,000 or so. The early start will hurt the crowd some, as it is hard to get (back?) downtown from the 'burb's here that early on a work day. It will be something of a late arriving crowd as well.

This is as big a series as UNO has ever played, by the way. Arguably, THE biggest. There's an article on College Hockey News today lamenting the potential impact on the conference race of a novelty game (it also mentions the upcoming Minnesota/Wisconsin game at Soldier Field as well). I'm not sure I disagree with it.

Tonight's game is the one that will really have "the atmosphere", I think, and it will set the tone for tomorrow, too.

One last thing, I hope North Dakota fans can restrain themselves this time and not mob our athletic director for autographs again before the game while he's making the rounds. That was very unseemly the last time you were here.
                Last edited by Red Cows; 02-08-2013, 12:55 PM.

Comment

I don't think any outdoor game has good sight lines. It's about the event. Look at pictures of any winter classic, football or baseball stadiums. You are far away and the sight lines suck. You go for the game and the event, it's more about aesthetics.

Comment

Roll Tribe!

Comment

Just got home from the game.

1. I very much have to hand it to North Dakota fans who gave Husker fans in these parts a taste of what it must have been like for years for Kansas State fan every time the Huskers played down in Manhattan. Yeah, UNO fan outnumbered North Dakota fan tonight, but, not by any meaningful margin whatsoever. They "outrooted" us as well.

2. Considering what was on the line, this was one of the poorer efforts by our guys I have seen in a very long time. Probably, ever, at least, in a game that meant something. I need to think about that statement a little bit more before being entirely definitive. After the first period, and, particularly after the 2nd period, the effort was simply not there. In the 5 to 7 minutes left in the game time-frame, UNO fans began leaving the building around us, despite the fact that it was "only" 2-1. I actually gave it some consideration myself. There was a general "we aren't going to tie this game, much less win it" conversation going on around me in our section at that juncture, with good reason, that's how obvious this was.

3. Kudos to Dave Hakstol and his players for pretty clearly sensing this. It was also pretty obvious to them it appeared as well and that was another thing that was openly discussed between me and the fans around me in the 3rd period, given the game tactics they employed at that point. Normally, when a team in front starts playing not to lose, like North Dakota obviously did, that's a danger signal, UNLESS your opponent isn't making a very good or meaningful effort and looks like the proverbial deer in the headlights like UNO did during the last 10 minutes of the game.

4. For UNO to not be able to put more fans in the building for a game of this import than they did is disgraceful to every fan like myself who has been on board since day one and to the program in general. Other than perhaps the CCHA tournament semi-final game that UNO played against Michigan in 2000, this was, IMHO, the most important game in the history of the program (until tomorrow). To barely outdraw last week's game against Michigan Tech on Saturday night is utterly ridiculous, particularly since a goodly chunk of the crowd tonight was made up of North Dakota fans. Trev Alberts should be ashamed beyond words. I know I am.

All my negativity aside, the worst case scenario tonight, at least, did not materialize. SCSU lost. To say that tomorrow is a must win is an understatement of the first water. As far as the game tomorrow is concerned, I think almost any crazy thing you could imagine might happen, under the circumstances.

Congratulations, again, to North Dakota who came in and did what they needed to do to win and looked like a team that had been there, done that, which is what a good team does in situations like tonight. UNO looked like they wanted to win while North Dakota looked like they expected to.

As an aside, it's some measure of what Coach Blais really thinks of John Faulkner, starting Beflour instead, and giving him his first ice time of the entire season. That he did this under these circumstances confirmed my feelings about Faulkner, really, and I do not have warm fuzzies about where the rest of our season is going at all no matter whether we are in a 3 way tie for 2nd or not. I don't have a lot of faith in our goaltending and barely more than that in our vastly overrated defenseman.

Onward and upward tomorrow.
                      Last edited by Red Cows; 02-09-2013, 12:03 AM.

Comment

It was a Friday game. Just be happy it outdrew your last Saturday game and move on
                        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Start time of game now moved to 6:05 due to ice issues.

Comment

Now the rain will come. Just cut your losses and move the game indoors for tomorrow.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

That's the other concern in this discussion at the event I am currently at. We all just got a look at the Omaha radar. Might rain before the end of the game, it looks like. Many unhappy people in evidence.

Ice condition pic at end of Lancers game:

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/sta...258112/photo/1

The North Dakota SID now says that they are going to attempt to play the game at 6:07. That that is "plan A".
                              Last edited by Red Cows; 02-09-2013, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Serious discourse and rumors now ongoing if game will be played today at all and if not, will North Dakota even stick around to play it tomorrow due to blizzard about to begin between here and Grand Forks. Lots of rumors flying right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X