Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UM @ SCSU: Everything this series should be

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    And they would be correct to do so, just as they are correct to point to the Gophers dropping points to teams they should have swept - like the Whioux at home. Those games concern me and I wonder if the Gophers will be on top of their game like they were against BC and Notre Dame, or will they come out flat like against Tech, the Whioux, UAA and MSUM (yes I know all those teams played well to earn their points but the Gophs didn't play up to their best in those games)?

On the one hand, I think the formula for beating the Gophers is simple (though not easy), clog the middle, fill passing lanes, block shots, get good goaltending and capitalize on your opportunities. On the other hand, I think SCSU prefers a more up-temp game as well. As we all know, the Gophs prefer to play a "pretty" game rather than mucking it up and getting gritty goals. They can play gritty but they prefer not to. I think Motzko is a good enough coach to get his team to do the things they need to do to beat the Gophers, and Faragher (sp?) is certainly good enough to do what they need from him. I think this will be the biggest test the Gophers will face (at least until they meet BC again in the tourney ).

I think it'll be a split, but I agree the Gophs need 3 to stay in the race for the Mac.
    Excellent synopsis Goldy. There have been obvious inconsistencies in both of these teams at various points in the season. It's not necessarily what these teams have done in past conference or OOC games...it's at what level their playing at now. Both teams are peaking at the right time. An intense, playoff atmosphere of crazies in the NHC this weekend will be a clear 7th man advantage for SCSU, unless the Gophers can score early and play with the lead to somewhat take the crowd out. Notice I said, "somewhat". Talked to a long time Gopher season ticket holder in Mankato, he said they'll never go back to the NHC...too many threatening and drunken idiots with brain damage.

The only point I disagree with is Lucia will come up with a lot more of an aggressive game plan than "pretty" to keep SCSU out of the paint and plant guys like Bjugs, Ambroz, even Rau in front for the gritties. Special teams, block shots, hard hitting, and a fast and precise transition game will play huge roles for the Gophers in an intense series like this.

As has been said before, every team wants to make a statement against the #1 team in the nation. SCSU players will undoubtedly be hyperadrenalized to do just that. And I agree, this is a HUGE test for Gophers and if they don't bring all the guns to the battle from the puck drop, screw it...they don't deserve a conference championship anyway. It's series like this at this stage of the season that truly defines your team.

Go Gophers

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      I can't tell if many of the Gophers fans here are just trying to poke or if they don't realize STC deserves a ton of credit and that the Gophers better friggin come ready to play.
      There was a bit of concern regarding the selective use of conference only stats, but even those skeptic Gopher fans are predicting a split. The evidence we use to get to that prediction is irrelevant except for use in a postmortem.

Thanks for backing up my break down though!
      scsuhockey.com
      CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        I think I missed your point. You quote my post which uses different stats to show stats don't matter, by countering the stats I had, and then go on to say that stats don't matter, which was pretty much my point. Do you know if you are arguing against me or agreeing with me, cause you seem to do both.
        Ehhhh.... honestly neither. Its my last week at my current job, so basically I have been feeling like this at work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCVGI2hd3xw

Oh... and I'm supposed to give some acronym for "don't open this at work" with that, but I really don't care. If you're stupid enough to open up an unknown link at work when you could get in trouble for it, especially in an SCSU/MN thread, you deserve to get fired.
        Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        I think it's nearly a 1a and 1b situation across the board in conference:

Faragher has better stats in conference that Wilcox, but it's close.

Team Offense:
        2. STC
        3. UMN

Tead Defense:
        1. STC
        3. UMN

Power Play:
        1. UMN
        2. STC

Penalty Kill:
        1. STC
        2. UMN

PIM:
        10. UMN
        12. STC

I can't tell if many of the Gophers fans here are just trying to poke or if they don't realize STC deserves a ton of credit and that the Gophers better friggin come ready to play.
        A little of column A, a little of column B. The n00bs are the column B people.
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          I think it's nearly a 1a and 1b situation across the board in conference:

Faragher has better stats in conference that Wilcox, but it's close.

Team Offense:
          2. STC
          3. UMN

Tead Defense:
          1. STC
          3. UMN

Power Play:
          1. UMN
          2. STC

Penalty Kill:
          1. STC
          2. UMN

PIM:
          10. UMN
          12. STC

I think SCSU is getting a lot of credit from Gopher fans. I don't, however, usually just use conference stats when doing these types of comparisons. I like to look at the whole body of work.
          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 02-04-2013, 05:03 PM.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Ummm... weird, hockey talk on a Monday? For this series? If you guys insist....

I believe the only question marks we have are Rabey on defense and Oliver at forward, and I think both may be ready to go this weekend (though some in our fanbase question whether Rabey should be in right now even healthy). What does the injury bug look like for you guys?
            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
              Ummm... weird, hockey talk on a Monday? For this series? If you guys insist....

I believe the only question marks we have are Rabey on defense and Oliver at forward, and I think both may be ready to go this weekend (though some in our fanbase question whether Rabey should be in right now even healthy). What does the injury bug look like for you guys?
              Pretty healthy (a part from losing Connor Reilly for the season before it began). Haula said in an interview that he's back to 100% and will be back at center. We've been discussing in the season thread where it would be best for him to play considering how hot our second line has been with Condon centering it. Condon will be filling in for Lucia on the Lucia Show tonight. Wonder if this question gets asked?

Comment

Since it is only Monday...I'm staying off topic by sharing that the "Graphic Artists" on this site with their clip art $uck at it! carry on...
                "You can't let a kid come across the blue line that far unmolested" Lou Nanne commentating during the MN high school tournament

Losing to the Mavericks would be as pathetic as the sight of my MySpace page.....HFR

Comment

I hope I can stay away from game results threads and text messages this weekend because this series is going to be the most exciting to watch and I plan on having a dvr Sunday College Hockey-thon.
                  "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                  Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                  The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                  Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                    I hope I can stay away from game results threads and text messages this weekend because this series is going to be the most exciting to watch and I plan on having a dvr Sunday College Hockey-thon.
                    I never can understand how people DVR games and watch later, and have to avoid all communication. I tried that once and after 3 quick goals for the Huskies, I ended up fast forwarding to see if the score held. I have no patience.
                    "You can't let a kid come across the blue line that far unmolested" Lou Nanne commentating during the MN high school tournament

Losing to the Mavericks would be as pathetic as the sight of my MySpace page.....HFR

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU HELMET GUY View Post
                      I never can understand how people DVR games and watch later, and have to avoid all communication. I tried that once and after 3 quick goals for the Huskies, I ended up fast forwarding to see if the score held. I have no patience.
                      I do it all the time, you know,play with the littl'uns, read some bedtime stories, then down to watch the game. I only fast forward if my squad is getting hammered though.
                      You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU HELMET GUY View Post
                        Apparently cross cheque is a big Gopher hoops fan.

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
                          I do it all the time, you know,play with the littl'uns, read some bedtime stories, then down to watch the game. I only fast forward if my squad is getting hammered though.
                          Me too. Needs to big a big lead too. (Other than commercials and between period stuff.)

As some are aware, I am primative and still use VHS. A couple times I've been in the Cities at my Dads on the weekend and asked him to tape a game. Made it clear I didn't want to know results. First time, he greeted me at the door when I got back, a dejected look on his face, tape in hand, and said something like "you can watch this if you want to waste your time." Not sure if I was more upset at Gophs loss to a team they should have beat, or Dad for ruining it.

Next time, I recounted this story, and reminded him I didn't want to know. This time he greeted me at the door with the tape saying something like "I won;t tell you the outcome", but he had a huge grin on his face.

Last year, out of town for entire NCAA and left strict instructions to label 4 tapes with number for each game and to put in a bag for me and not say a thing. I taped 1st game just to be sure. He followed through, except he commented 2nd game was also on DVD. (Course I knew outcome of first game then.) Put in 1st tape - bug races. Luckily I had my tape, but I was off an hour on start time so missed half of game. 2nd tape - bug races. Luckily had DVD to watch Gophs stomp Sioux. Third tape - bug races. Tried to find vid of third game online and saw final score, so never saw game.

Haven't had great luck. Am really hoping can watch these in real time.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                            Me too. Needs to big a big lead too. (Other than commercials and between period stuff.)

As some are aware, I am primative and still use VHS. A couple times I've been in the Cities at my Dads on the weekend and asked him to tape a game. Made it clear I didn't want to know results. First time, he greeted me at the door when I got back, a dejected look on his face, tape in hand, and said something like "you can watch this if you want to waste your time." Not sure if I was more upset at Gophs loss to a team they should have beat, or Dad for ruining it.

Next time, I recounted this story, and reminded him I didn't want to know. This time he greeted me at the door with the tape saying something like "I won;t tell you the outcome", but he had a huge grin on his face.

Last year, out of town for entire NCAA and left strict instructions to label 4 tapes with number for each game and to put in a bag for me and not say a thing. I taped 1st game just to be sure. He followed through, except he commented 2nd game was also on DVD. (Course I knew outcome of first game then.) Put in 1st tape - bug races. Luckily I had my tape, but I was off an hour on start time so missed half of game. 2nd tape - bug races. Luckily had DVD to watch Gophs stomp Sioux. Third tape - bug races. Tried to find vid of third game online and saw final score, so never saw game.

Haven't had great luck. Am really hoping can watch these in real time.
                            Nice comedy of errors! Doing the VCR thing is a pain unless you can wait until it's over to start it. I typically dislike, mistrust and generally fear technology, but as my wife wants to have a cable box that can record,I make an exception and I get to reap the benefits of said device.
                            You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Condon filled in for tDon on his radio show tonight. Said he's playing with Bjugstad and Rau this weekend, which means Haula is back to centering Budish and Warning.

He also said the Gophers need to come out strong on Friday, and that this is a great, intense rivalry. Hard to argue with any of that.

Comment

Originally posted by EASTgrandforks View Post
                                Honestly... It's SCSU congrats your relevant for once now roll over give us the 4 points and the Gopher's will be on their way
                                Learn how to use apostrophes.
                                St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Working...
                                X