• Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten- Adding affiliate members for hockey isn't off the table

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    For Ohio State?
    Don't even go there!

Comment

I'm not going to read the whole thread (so I apologize if it's been said), but...

If the B1G is to add affiliate programs, obviously they would pick programs 1) in high level markets, 2) with decent facilities/attendance, 3) mediocre programs.

This will allow lots of income, but keep the official members in the spotlight (Minn/Mich/etc). NoDak, for example, would not work because (though they would bring in revenue), they are respectable enough to make State(s)/Sconnie bottom feeders. Delany knows that we need all the B1G teams to fill the top spots traditionally.

Comment

Whatever schools are added will be based on expanding the reach of the B1G into certain markets and areas of the country. It is ALL based on money.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          Whatever schools are added will be based on expanding the reach of the B1G into certain markets and areas of the country. It is ALL based on money.
          Texas to D-1?
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

UNO and UMD should be on the list of possible affiliate members if the B1G does in-fact do this. Both universities are "sister-schools" of current B1G members.

Comment

This is who should be added:
              DU
              CC
              UND
              ND
              UMD
              MTU

No other teams have the required history to even be mentioned.

Comment

This is a bad idea. Why give a program free branding? In fact if they are not AAU members they should not be admitted as an affiliate. Delaney just say NO!
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                  For Ohio State?
                  No, that was Woody Allen.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                  And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                  Twenty red lights in his honor
                  Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
                    Lacross can go catch on fire and die for all I care after what it did to that regional semifinal game I really wanted to watch between Nodak and UNH like 4 years ago.
                    That was 4 years ago already?!?!?! Crap I am getting old.
                    UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

That's the deal. Money. Big national brands. Fan base demographics.

That's why NCHC/WCHA teams to BTHC would never happen. The avid pro hockey/B1G fan in Philly, Chicago or NYC who might just get turned on to college hockey has no interest in Denver or UND.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

There is one thing that I've been wondering about that hasn't come up and that's if all these "super conferences" come into being would they have the ability to defy the NCAA if they felt the need?

Comment

There is one thing that I've been wondering about that hasn't come up and that's if all these "super conferences" come into being would they have the ability to defy the NCAA if they felt the need?
                          My guess is that they wouldn't defy the NCAA as the NCAA plays an important role in terms of regulations, organization, day to day management, etc. Rather I suspect the super conferences would just take more control of the key tourney decisions and cash.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            My guess is that they wouldn't defy the NCAA as the NCAA plays an important role in terms of regulations, organization, day to day management, etc. Rather I suspect the super conferences would just take more control of the key tourney decisions and cash.
                            My thoughts on this were how much would or could such a super conference stand up to the NCAA defending one of it's members if the NCAA went insane on punishments breaking it's own bylaws doing it say using what they did to Penn State as an example?

Comment

OK, I've read thru all 5 pages of this thread, and there is still one question that nobody has offered an answer to; what possible reason would BIG have for wanting to add affiliate members to their hockey conference?
                              Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                                OK, I've read thru all 5 pages of this thread, and there is still one question that nobody has offered an answer to; what possible reason would BIG have for wanting to add affiliate members to their hockey conference?
                                None! They have a conference, but I'd think they'd want Notre Dame as an affiliate if they could get them.
                                "My greatest achievement."
                                Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Working...
                                X