Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ugly Helmets are going down the TUBES

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    UM has been an incredibly successful program. And they should be. Their recruiting resources, from budget, facilities, travel accommodations, tradition and institutional ptestige are second to none in al of college. Unless hit by an avalanche of key injuries, there is no excuse for them to not make the tourney, and no excuse whatsoever for them to get beat by D-II teams like Northern, LSSU, Tech, Ferris and Fairbanks (1-6-2). Add to that the fact that Ann Arbor fans are hardly known for bring polite or humble is a prime reason they should not be surprised when it flows back the other way.
    Other great programs have had bad years. It happens. I think you're severely underrating the parity in college hockey these days.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      This is just like football in 2008. The bowl streak ended and the nightcrawlers came out from under their rocks.

And then Michigan went back to it's usual ways not too long after. I expect hockey to restart their streak next season. This season is an anomaly. No leadership on that team and goaltending problems spells disaster for any team. Even the immortal Michigan program that has been doing what every team wishes they could do every year, for over 2 decades.
      The key difference is that this team has become the subject of Happy's "going down the tubes" thread, which changes everything. Teams don't go back up the tubes.

But at least they will be in a conference of cupcakes. It'll be like the Eisenhower years again.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Other great programs have had bad years. It happens. I think you're severely underrating the parity in college hockey these days.
        But should there be parity? If you have 10x the money and 10x the brand prestige, I can see losing a seaon series to a D-II rival here and there, but not all of them. The bottom line is that UM, MSU and other think they're too big to make even home series trades (they want 2 and 3 for 1) deals with those teams who have proven to be very competitive with them.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

But should there be parity? If you have 10x the money and 10x the brand prestige, I can see losing a seaon series to a D-II rival here and there, but not all of them. The bottom line is that UM, MSU and other think they're too big to make even home series trades (they want 2 and 3 for 1) deals with those teams who have proven to be very competitive with them.
          OK, so it seems you just have an axe to grind with bigger programs. That's fine. And to answer your question...in a vacuum, no, Michigan shouldn't have the record they do against the schools you mentioned, but in certain years it happens. That's just the way it is. It happens to all the great programs at some point. Sometimes there are coaching changes, sometimes injuries, top notch recruits don't pan out, bad leadership, no puck luck, pro defections...you name it. So, on paper, yes, Michigan should be great every year...it just doesn't work that way. It's not that easy.

Comment

the Coach is 10X as old, too.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

If Michigan doesn't make the finals at the Joe they'll probably have to hand tickets out on the streets to get any kind of attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                the Coach is 10X as old, too.
                I'm surprised we haven't seen a "Fire Red" thread, similar to one about Eaves. But that one magically disappeared, about the same time Wisconsin started to win most every game.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  I'm surprised we haven't seen a "Fire Red" thread, similar to one about Eaves. But that one magically disappeared, about the same time Wisconsin started to win most every game.
                  For an old guy I'd bet Red is still capable of kicking some a**!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    For an old guy I'd bet Red is still capable of kicking some a**!
                    No doubt true, but is he still capable of leading his team to its former glory?
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyredshoes View Post
                      Being they are losing games, is their band still playing that god awful song 50+ times a period? Or do they choose to do it after the simpler things, like s.o.g. and successful passes now instead of goals.
                      So, what is your record against Michigan, again? Molly is calling and wants to know.

Comment

That's a pretty tired argument. So, is that your excuse for NMU not winning a thing in the CCHA?

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                          I hope you guys get it fixed quickly, the Gophers need some competition next year.
                          Funny how that only matters in hockey, though.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                            Funny how that only matters in hockey, though.
                            Yeah, it is funny that something hockey related matters on a college hockey fan forum. Oh, the irony!!!!
                            This is THE State of Hockey. Check your teams roster. I bet there are some Minnesotans on it
                            www.twitter.com/johnnyredshoes

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              OK, so it seems you just have an axe to grind with bigger programs. That's fine. And to answer your question...in a vacuum, no, Michigan shouldn't have the record they do against the schools you mentioned, but in certain years it happens. That's just the way it is. It happens to all the great programs at some point. Sometimes there are coaching changes, sometimes injuries, top notch recruits don't pan out, bad leadership, no puck luck, pro defections...you name it. So, on paper, yes, Michigan should be great every year...it just doesn't work that way. It's not that easy.
                              An axe? He's been repeating the same rhetoric for years. He's down to his handle, if there is anything left at all. Poor, poor DII schools. So, is this the same argument that other "non" D1 schools in other programs use against Minnesota or Wisconsin in the WCHA? Probably not, because some of them don't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyredshoes View Post
                                Yeah, it is funny that something hockey related matters on a college hockey fan forum. Oh, the irony!!!!
                                No irony here. We all know what stirs the drink at Michigan, though and it is the opposite at Minnesota, so when their hockey program is down it is unmitigated tragedy. Not the same impact at Michigan.

Comment

Working...
                                X