Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvard @ RPI and Dartmouth @ RPI & Union (2/1, 2/2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard @ RPI and Dartmouth @ RPI & Union (2/1, 2/2)

This weekend really could be a mjor turning point for us this season. We are a vastly different team than the one that played at Harvard earlier this season. We have to take them seriously and we have to score enough so they cannot hang around late in the game when one call made by an official can affect the outcome. Dartmouth is a different can of worms. We did not match up well with them the last time and we will have to play a much different game. We need a successful weekend to get the trend going for the final 10 games. Go Red!!
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      This weekend really could be a mjor turning point for us this season. We are a vastly different team than the one that played at Harvard earlier this season. We have to take them seriously and we have to score enough so they cannot hang around late in the game when one call made by an official can affect the outcome. Dartmouth is a different can of worms. We did not match up well with them the last time and we will have to play a much different game. We need a successful weekend to get the trend going for the final 10 games. Go Red!!
      We can't take anyone for granted. Even if Harvard is playing undermaned, we have to give it our full attention and put them away early. Don't leave anything to chance.
      As for Dartmouth, I don't think we can take anything from that game, as Appert was sending the team a message and it probably cost us any chance of matching up with them.
      We still have to find a way to score more than two goals a game.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        We can't take anyone for granted. Even if Harvard is playing undermaned, we have to give it our full attention and put them away early. Don't leave anything to chance.
        As for Dartmouth, I don't think we can take anything from that game, as Appert was sending the team a message and it probably cost us any chance of matching up with them.
        Appert sent the message in the Harvard game. We played like scheiße against Dartmouth.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Appert sent the message in the Harvard game. We played like scheiße against Dartmouth.
          That's how I saw it. Dartmouth present a different challenge but I think we gain a certain advantage by playing them this time in Troy. I never underestimate the value of having home ice for the last change. When you go up against a team that you do not match up well with (either due to size, speed, or talent on some lines) it always helps to be able to put the guys out you want against their special lines. As EHF said, we have to put Harvard on the defensive early, we need to score more than 2 goals per game, and we just cannot allow that game to remain close so that one of the zebras can call a late interference penalty on us which could determine the outcome.

Comment

Unfortunately, the freakout jinx is showing up.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
              One game at a time please. I hope the boys don't read this blog, but some likely do. You can't take anyone lightly in this league. Nobody goes winless and nobody goes undefeated. If you don't bring your A game you have a very good chance of losing.

In my opinion, it is time to lay of the officiating. It is what it is and it won't change soon. The calls do tend to even out over the course of a couple of seasons and all teams are helped and hurt by bad calls. Everyone likes to beat up on this crowd's favorite whipping boy Hicks. He isn't very good, but he made a couple of bad calls at Union 2 weeks ago so it isn't just RPI that he bones.

In the end, if this team can finally find a couple of guys who can put the puck in the net consistently, the officials won't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                One game at a time please. I hope the boys don't read this blog, but some likely do. You can't take anyone lightly in this league. Nobody goes winless and nobody goes undefeated. If you don't bring your A game you have a very good chance of losing.
                Unless you're 1970 Cornell, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  Unless you're 1970 Cornell, of course.
                  or 1956 Clarkson
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

That's how I saw it. Dartmouth present a different challenge but I think we gain a certain advantage by playing them this time in Troy. I never underestimate the value of having home ice for the last change. When you go up against a team that you do not match up well with (either due to size, speed, or talent on some lines) it always helps to be able to put the guys out you want against their special lines. As EHF said, we have to put Harvard on the defensive early, we need to score more than 2 goals per game, and we just cannot allow that game to remain close so that one of the zebras can call a late interference penalty on us which could determine the outcome.
                    Agree with thoughts re: Harvard. Dartmouth is a skilled team that has had a roller coaster season so far -- a convincing win again UNH, close losses at Q and PU. I do think RPI is a far more complete team than we were the first time around and expect/hope the boys are ready to deliver some payback.
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Against Dartmouth, we always seem to have either two close games or two blowouts, at least historically speaking. The only exception I can see since I started at RPI is 07-08, also the only time in many years that we have been swept on Freakout weekend. I fully expect this one to be "over" by about 15 minutes into the third. Which way? Who knows. Read, though: I follow the tenth commandment of RPI hockey.

Comment

Dartmouth associate head coach Dave Peters told me today that Brandon McNally won't be available this weekend.

McNally, their fifth leading scorer, has 6 goals and 5 assists in 16 games. He was injured against Brown on 1/18 and hasn't been back since.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                          In my opinion, it is time to lay of the officiating. It is what it is and it won't change soon. The calls do tend to even out over the course of a couple of seasons and all teams are helped and hurt by bad calls. Everyone likes to beat up on this crowd's favorite whipping boy Hicks. He isn't very good, but he made a couple of bad calls at Union 2 weeks ago so it isn't just RPI that he bones.
                          I don't think anyone's claiming he has a vendetta against RPI, if he made moronic calls at Union 2 weeks ago that's just more evidence of incompetence.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

This weekend really could be a major turning point for us this season. We are a vastly different team than the one that played at Harvard earlier this season. We have to take them seriously and we have to score enough so they cannot hang around late in the game when one call made by an official can affect the outcome. Dartmouth is a different can of worms. We did not match up well with them the last time and we will have to play a much different game. We need a successful weekend to get the trend going for the final 10 games. Go Red!!
                            I agree w the Good Doctor! This is a big weekend... I suspect the middle of the ECAC pack will remain tight for the next few weekends. Let's take the initiative with some points this weekend. See you on Friday night! GO RED!
                            Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
                              I agree w the Good Doctor! This is a big weekend... I suspect the middle of the ECAC pack will remain tight for the next few weekends. Let's take the initiative with some points this weekend. See you on Friday night! GO RED!
                              I have always believed hockey is a game that is won and lost on special teams and a game that is one of match ups. Playing at home we have a distinct advantage-coach SA has the ability to pur who he wants out there against whatever line up he sees. Against Harvard it might not be as important-but against Dartmouth he has to come up with a battle plan of who he wants against each line and get it to work. They just man handled us in their barn. Against both these teams we just need to have the special teams play result in a net positive each night. If we can do that-we have the best chance to get a 4 point weekend. There is no question in my mind after watching this team and getting this far into the season-we can beat anyone and perhaps everyone if we execute those two things. There is a world of talent on this squad-a lot more than we have had in a long time. We could be one of the toughest teams to play for anyone-that is of course if the officials call a consistent and fair game.

Comment

I have always believed hockey is a game that is won and lost on special teams and a game that is one of match ups. Playing at home we have a distinct advantage-coach SA has the ability to pur who he wants out there against whatever line up he sees. Against Harvard it might not be as important-but against Dartmouth he has to come up with a battle plan of who he wants against each line and get it to work. They just man handled us in their barn. Against both these teams we just need to have the special teams play result in a net positive each night. If we can do that-we have the best chance to get a 4 point weekend. There is no question in my mind after watching this team and getting this far into the season-we can beat anyone and perhaps everyone if we execute those two things. There is a world of talent on this squad-a lot more than we have had in a long time. We could be one of the toughest teams to play for anyone-that is of course if the officials call a consistent and fair game.
                                Dartmouth certainly isn't short on talent; heck, I'm surprised it has taken them this long to finally get it together, as I do recall for a couple of years picking them at the top of the league. RPI's keys to the game are as follows:

1. Stay out of the box
                                2. Patience on the power play
                                3. Stay out of the box

Comment

Working...
                                X