New #1 Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New #1 Team

#1 is the kiss of death. QU should take a pass.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

I'm just saying...remember when BSU and RIT made the F4? It was cute. Then RIT disappeared again, and BSU joined the grind that is the WCHA. Boomdone.

Every year, some non-WCHA/HE team makes some sort of run in the regular season, only to be shut down. Get there, and stay there, and earn the respect. Don't puff your chest out (not you specifically) before you've really accomplished anything...
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        I'm just saying...remember when BSU and RIT made the F4? It was cute. Then RIT disappeared again, and BSU joined the grind that is the WCHA. Boomdone.

Every year, some non-WCHA/HE team makes some sort of run in the regular season, only to be shut down. Get there, and stay there, and earn the respect. Don't puff your chest out (not you specifically) before you've really accomplished anything...
        I understand what you're saying. I just disagree with your perceptions. ECAC's past performance (or BSU or RIT) has nothing to do with how good QU is this season. Now, they may not be the best team in the country, and they may not win a national championship; however, the Bobcats are a high quality team, and if they are ranked #1 this week, they will have earned it and deserve it. If they continue their high quality of play, they will be a team that is capable of winning the national championship.

Respect should be earned based on what you've done. QU can't control how Union only made the Frozen Four last year, or that Yale was upset by the eventual National Champion the year before. They can only control what they've done on the ice, and they've beaten some very good teams (more TUCs than any other team in the country) and played at a high quality level for the majority of the season.

Comment

There is no avoiding the 38th "Strength of Schedule" ranking ............ it creates doubt ...... it will all become clear in March/April

Comment

Lulz. Subscribed because this is hilariously preposterous.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Also, is polling all you dingii at Quinnipiac care about?

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes...ing-institute/
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                There is no avoiding the 38th "Strength of Schedule" ranking ............ it creates doubt ...... it will all become clear in March/April
                It depends on what SOS you use.

Quinnipiac's RPI SOS is 16th. By KRACH it is 36th. I think their 11 wins against TUCs is pretty impressive.

The problem with saying just wait until March/April is that teams are playing at different levels in January than they are in March/April. Which leads to an interesting question when doing the rankings, should you rank based on current play, or based on where you think teams will end up (or some other variation)?

What bugs me, is that a lot of people just assume Quinnipiac isn't deserving of the #1 ranking in January (meaningless for sure, other than hype for a program) because of how other teams performed in the NCAA Tournament in previous seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Mile High Hockey View Post

Quinnipiac's RPI SOS is 16th. By KRACH it is 36th. I think their 11 wins against TUCs is pretty impressive.

The problem with saying just wait until March/April is that teams are playing at different levels in January than they are in March/April. Which leads to an interesting question when doing the rankings, should you rank based on current play, or based on where you think teams will end up (or some other variation)?

What bugs me, is that a lot of people just assume Quinnipiac isn't deserving of the #1 ranking in January (meaningless for sure, other than hype for a program) because of how other teams performed in the NCAA Tournament in previous seasons.
                  What bugs me is that fans demand respect because of a (right now) flash in the pan season, and they haven't won crap yet. Go ahead, crown Quinnipiac as a #1 team. Big whoop. Merrimack was a #1 team, too, at some point recently. Wheeeee.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I'm curious, why do you even care about the #1 spot? It's bad juju.
                    Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      I'm curious, why do you even care about the #1 spot? It's bad juju.
                      Again, I'm not a Quinnipiac fan. I don't care if they are ranked 1st or 59th. I just dislike the "fans" here that discount Quinnipiac's season because of previous ECAC team's performance. It would be as ridiculous as saying that Minnesota wasn't deserving of the #1 ranking because North Dakota crapped the bed against Michigan and BC in the past.

Also, I find it hilarious that "fans" rip on a team that they've probably never even seen play. Of course, that goes back to equating past performance of a conference with current performance of a team. I certainly understand being skeptical of the team. I don't think I'll pick Quinnipiac to win the National Championship...barring significant changes. However, in my opinion, who is going to win the national championship in April and who is deserving of a #1 ranking currently are two separate questions. Do I think Quinnipiac is deserving of the #1 ranking right now, in January? Yes. If you don't, that's fine. I'm also not saying that there aren't several teams deserving of the #1 ranking.

Comment

Again, I'm not a Quinnipiac fan. I don't care if they are ranked 1st or 59th. I just dislike the "fans" here that discount Quinnipiac's season because of previous ECAC team's performance. It would be as ridiculous as saying that Minnesota wasn't deserving of the #1 ranking because North Dakota crapped the bed against Michigan and BC in the past.

Also, I find it hilarious that "fans" rip on a team that they've probably never even seen play. Of course, that goes back to equating past performance of a conference with current performance of a team. I certainly understand being skeptical of the team. I don't think I'll pick Quinnipiac to win the National Championship...barring significant changes. However, in my opinion, who is going to win the national championship in April and who is deserving of a #1 ranking currently are two separate questions. Do I think Quinnipiac is deserving of the #1 ranking right now, in January? Yes. If you don't, that's fine. I'm also not saying that there aren't several teams deserving of the #1 ranking.
                        I'm discounting the fans (and non-fans) who are proclaiming Quinn as a legit contender/good program. They are having a Cinderella season. That's fine. Enjoy it. But recognize it for what it is: an improbable run.

Comment

Go Bobcats!!! QU is the best team in the country. They are 8-0 against ranked opponents, 18-3-3 overall, and 11-0-1 ECAC. Come check them out at the TD Bank Sports Center or on nationally televised NBC Sports against Yale on February 23.

Comment

Originally posted by antioch1098 View Post
                            Go Bobcats!!! QU is the best team in the country. They are 8-0 against ranked opponents, 18-3-3 overall, and 11-0-1 ECAC. Come check them out at the TD Bank Sports Center or on nationally televised NBC Sports against Yale on February 23.
                            And that tie came to a team that was, at the time, dead last.

Comment

Originally posted by lpro1111 View Post
                              Did I say something funny? Are you ok with Q sitting at number 2 with the loss to AIC?
                              Are you OK with having your perfect league record being blown to the last place team (at the time) in the EZAC?

Comment

However, in my opinion, who is going to win the national championship in April and who is deserving of a #1 ranking currently are two separate questions.
                                They shouldn't be.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X