1980 US Gold Medal Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 US Gold Medal Team

Was thinking about this today. How many of you think that the US Gold Medal in 1980 was more meaningful than all of the Gold medals won by the Soviet team in the 60's and 70's?

I mean, the Soviet Union didn't break any rules by using professionals on their teams, but I personally think it was more impressive that the USA won it's Gold medals in 1960 and 1980 with only amateur players.

Isn't that why that victory over the Soviets in 1980 is so celebrated? I just don't understand the people that claim it was just like any other Gold medal. To me, our Gold medals were more impressive than theirs.

Am I wrong?

Re: 1980 US Gold Medal Team

I've never, ever heard anyone say that the 1980 gold medal was "just like any other."

You should take this to hfboards where you could probably get a rise out of Canadians () or maybe some of the international posters.

I assume that's your goal like every other thread you start. Came in here expecting this to be about how the Gophers basically won the 1980 gold.

Comment

It isn't more meaningful to any one but an American hockey fan. The Russians or the Canadians don' think it is anything special.
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

I'll admit to a serious dose of hockey bias, but in my opinion the Miracle On Ice was the single biggest sporting achievement in the 20th century. Any sport. Any level. Imagine if a group of college football players had played a game in 1980 against the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Steelers played it like it meant as much as any Super Bowl they played in. Those college kids would have been beaten down in epic fashion, and had they won, that highlite would probably still be leading SportsCenter every night, 33 years later.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
          Was thinking about this today. How many of you think that the US Gold Medal in 1980 was more meaningful than all of the Gold medals won by the Soviet team in the 60's and 70's?

I mean, the Soviet Union didn't break any rules by using professionals on their teams, but I personally think it was more impressive that the USA won it's Gold medals in 1960 and 1980 with only amateur players.

Isn't that why that victory over the Soviets in 1980 is so celebrated? I just don't understand the people that claim it was just like any other Gold medal. To me, our Gold medals were more impressive than theirs.

Am I wrong?
          A Goofer did not score the game winner in the USSR game.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
            the Canadians don' think it is anything special.
            Well, maybe if we won the Gold by having Rob McClanahan or Jack O'Callahan break Kharlamov's leg and knocking him out of the Olympics, then the Canadians would respect it more.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

It isn't more meaningful to any one but an American hockey fan. The Russians or the Canadians don' think it is anything special.

Nor should they other than it being a big upset.

It was meaningful in the context of American hockey and American politics.

Outside our borders, why would anyone care? Other than the families of Russian players who were sent to Siberia or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                Well, maybe if we won the Gold by having Rob McClanahan or Jack O'Callahan break Kharlamov's leg and knocking him out of the Olympics, then the Canadians would respect it more.

Again, this comment would be GOLD on hfboards.

Comment

You don't think Canadians, who also only used amateurs, would by and large say that the 1980 Gold medal was more impressive than any the Russians won using professionals against amatuers?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    A Goofer did not score the game winner in the USSR game.
                    I am well aware

Comment

It was named the #1 moment by the IIHF during their 100th Anniversary, so I think it might have some meaning outside the US.
                      Last edited by Dirty; 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM.
                      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                        You don't think Canadians, who also only used amateurs, would by and large say that the 1980 Gold medal was more impressive than any the Russians won using professionals against amatuers?
                        They would have been complaining about how they couldn't use their MJ kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          Nor should they other than it being a big upset.

Other than the families of Russian players who were sent to Siberia or worse.
                          ...North Dakota
                          Originally posted by CavalryNate
                          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            LOL! I still have Cold War on Ice on my DVR. That Summit Series was insane!

Comment

Originally posted by flagdude08 View Post
                              they would have been complaining about how they couldn't use their mj kids.
                              lol

Comment

Working...
                              X