January 21st Poll Speculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 21st Poll Speculations

Was a good discussion last week, let's see what we get this week. So who's #1 (specify poll)?? FWIW, here is my (almost like the real thing) RPI calculator. It differs from Prof's computer in that I do not count the D-II's (but include Canton)

Code:
    This	Last 	Name	                 RPI
    1	 1 	Norwich	                 0.6148 
    2	 4 	Bowdoin	                 0.6079 
    3	 2 	St. Norbert	         0.6055 
    4	 6 	Utica	                 0.6048 
    5	 3 	Hobart	                 0.6021 
    6	 5 	Oswego	                 0.5979 
    7	 7 	Wisconsin-Eau Claire	 0.5959 
    8	 8 	Adrian	                 0.5926 
    9	 9 	Babson	                 0.5827 
    10	 10 	Massachusetts-Boston	 0.5726 
    11	 14 	Neumann	                 0.5716 
    12	 12 	Wisconsin-Stevens Point	 0.5629 
    13	 11 	Manhattanville	         0.5595 
    14	 16 	Amherst	                 0.5582 
    15	 17 	Plattsburgh	         0.5575
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: January 21st Poll Speculations

If I'm Plattsburgh, I'm thinking I'm better than at least half of the teams you have rated above them. UM-Boston??? Really?? How does Babson keep their spot losing to St. A's (DII game)?? Here's the new "common sense" poll from actually watching the teams play some games:

1. Norwich
    2. St. Norbert
    3. Utica
    4. Oswego
    5. Hobart
    6. Bowdoin
    7. Eau Claire
    8. Amherst
    9. Adrian
    10. Plattsburgh
    11. Neumann
    12. Babson
    13. Stevens Point
    14. Geneseo
    15. Manhattanville

Comment

It's RPI (math), not a poll. And I quite clearly stated that I exclude games against non D-III competition -- as does the NCAA.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Who cares what the list looks like 2 through 15, but I think it would be fun - FUN - to have Utica #1 for a week and read the threads...don't you?
        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
          Who cares what the list looks like 2 through 15, but I think it would be fun - FUN - to have Utica #1 for a week and read the threads...don't you?
          Are you saying Utica isn't #1?
          Larry Normandin
          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

To me all the polls do is give the fans a chance for bragging rights. I could care less about the polls but certainly hope Norwich makes it Lake Placid. Would be nice for a rematch with St Norbert in the Finals so the Cadet Seniors could go out with a win the same way they did in their freshman year. St Norbert has had the better part the last two years in the semi finals.

Comment

Originally posted by VT bragging rights View Post
              To me all the polls do is give the fans a chance for bragging rights. I could care less about the polls but certainly hope Norwich makes it Lake Placid. Would be nice for a rematch with St Norbert in the Finals so the Cadet Seniors could go out with a win the same way they did in their freshman year. St Norbert has had the better part the last two years in the semi finals.
              Read what Peter Langella wrote over on d3hockey about polls from the players' POV.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                10-4,Im sure all teams know how good utica is, but when that #1 goes on your back other teams take notice and ramp up their games for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
                  If I'm Plattsburgh, I'm thinking I'm better than at least half of the teams you have rated above them. UM-Boston??? Really?? How does Babson keep their spot losing to St. A's (DII game)?? Here's the new "common sense" poll from actually watching the teams play some games:

1. Norwich
                  2. St. Norbert
                  3. Utica
                  4. Oswego
                  5. Hobart
                  6. Bowdoin
                  7. Eau Claire
                  8. Amherst
                  9. Adrian
                  10. Plattsburgh
                  11. Neumann
                  12. Babson
                  13. Stevens Point
                  14. Geneseo
                  15. Manhattanville
                  Have you seen Bowdoin play or are you just assuming they aren't as good as their record and the computers would suggest?
                  Go Polar Bears Plaaaay Hockey!

Comment

No, I think Bowdoin is a very good team. I have seen them play 4 or 5 times (2 Midd, 2 Williams and Tufts I think). Frankly, I think #6 is a pretty good rating. Further, I think every team ahead of them would have a similar record if they played Bowdoin's sked.

The only real impressive win was at Amherst.The two vs. Williams aren't bad either. I know they play the schedule they are given, blah, blah, blah....but OOC vs. Suffolk, Salve,UNE (2X) and Southern Maine (2X) is the weakest of any of the contenders you must admit.

I watch enough DIII hockey (yes, even the West) to form my opinion and don't put much emphasis on computer rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Read what Peter Langella wrote over on d3hockey about polls from the players' POV.
                      Nice article by Peter. No question that rankings are very important to programs and players. I have been fortunate to live close enough and follow the Cadets since Norwich built Kreitzberg Arena. Their success certainly helps with recruiting and gives them an advantage.

Comment

Fair enough. It's tough to defend the OOC, no doubt about it. I actually was just curious because it seems like you were giving teams like Oswego and Norwich the benefit of the doubt wIth only 1 or 2 'good wins'. I would make an argument for Bowdoin to be ranked 1 or 2 this week but I really haven't seen some of those other teams play.
                        Go Polar Bears Plaaaay Hockey!

Comment

I've seen Norwich's "A" game (1-0 vs. Platty) and they have the total package. Speed, depth, defense, goaltending, coaching, etc. They are as talented a team as there is. But you make a good point with their lack of "good wins". Same for Oswego. These are two teams I pay very close attention to and maybe it's time to start giving more credit to the new kids on the block. It's just that I consider at least Oswego's sked considerabally tougher and I doubt the Polar Bears would be 15-1-1 if they tried it out.

So, some of my opinions may be biased to the teams that are usually there. Benefit of the doubt as they say.I try not to let some of Utica's posters affect their ranking....but it's hard!!

Comment

Here is how I would vote 'em:

1. Bowdoin
                            2. Norwich
                            3. St. Norbert
                            4. Utica
                            5. Hobart
                            6. Oswego
                            7. Eau Claire
                            8. Adrian
                            9. Neumann
                            10. Manhattanville
                            11. Amherst
                            12. Babson
                            13. Plattsburgh
                            14. Williams
                            15. Geneseo
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

I think that Oswego is too high. They have one and a half good wins - Plymouth and Hobart. Plattsburgh is probably about right because they have also played a tough schedule and have given as good as they have gotten. I think you can say the same thing about Manhattanville as you can Oswego. They have lost to a lot of good teams, but the best team they have beaten all year is Wentworth.
                              Plattsburgh '11 Go Cards.
                              National Champions 1992, 2001
                              21 SUNYAC Championships

Norwich University
                              National Champions 2000, 2003, 2010

University of Vermont
                              Future National Champions 201?

Comment

Working...
                              X