This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    They won't win very many wcha games getting outshot 2-1, with a bad pk and pp, going against 2 more high powered wcha teams coming up.

Posick mentioned during yesterday's broadcast we fans better get used to seeing UW play a lot of non Friday-Saturday series.Anyone have any inkling why? Is the BTN gonna scheduling more Friday/Sat BB games, thus pushing BTN hockey to weeknight games?
    Dark times ahead, IMO. Attendance problems will only get worse when we start seeing more Sun-Mom series.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: WISCONSIN Hockey Vol. XXIV - Craziest Season Of All Time

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Dark times ahead, IMO. Attendance problems will only get worse when we start seeing more Sun-Mom series.
      No question.

I think they should close the 300s till the 200s are sold out. Al least have everyone who is there down lower.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        They won't win very many wcha games getting outshot 2-1, with a bad pk and pp, going against 2 more high powered wcha teams coming up.

Posick mentioned during yesterday's broadcast we fans better get used to seeing UW play a lot of non Friday-Saturday series.Anyone have any inkling why? Is the BTN gonna scheduling more Friday/Sat BB games, thus pushing BTN hockey to weeknight games?
        I think that what will happen is more Friday-Sunday or Sunday-Monday series along with single games on Wedensdays and Fridays. If BB can travel for a single weekday games, so can hockey. The other possibility is playing two teams in a weekend.

About the only Fri-Sat series that will exist for B1G schools are the NC games (even then it may eventually be limited to Away NC games).

Not a good change, IMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
          A quick refresher, a sub .500 team CAN'T make the NCAA tourney as an at-large bid, but they can be a TUC in the PWR? I was glancing at that today and noticed both NMU and CC are below .500, but I know their RPI can be above .500 to count despite their record.

Also, for ****s & grins today, I switched the 1st game of the year against NMU to a tie, and the friday CC game to a tie. UW is 13th in the PWR in that scenario, and both those opponents would not be TUCs at this point. Amazing how small changes like that can really swing the PWR.
          Correct, sub 0.500 can be a TUC, but can't make the NCAA without winning the autobid.

That is a perfect example of the TUC-cliff at work.

Comment

In keeping in mind some ccha officials are going to get employed by the b16, I was not too impressed with the ccha officials of the Miami/UND game. They allowed way too much interference to occur. I want interference called a lot and I want to see up and down, racehorse hockey. My fear is the b16 hockey conf just turns into the ccha rev 10. Clutch and grab, Tuesday night hockey...dark times are indeed ahead.

I will also say this....The hockey series being Fri/Sat. series have a feeling like it's a true EVENT, being that on the weekend special events occur, like football games or racing for instance. Excitement builds as the week goes on. Weekday baseball or basketball or even nhl hockey games feel like just another game. College hockey on the weekend feels like something more, a lot more.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
              I think that what will happen is more Friday-Sunday or Sunday-Monday series along with single games on Wedensdays and Fridays. If BB can travel for a single weekday games, so can hockey. The other possibility is playing two teams in a weekend.

About the only Fri-Sat series that will exist for B1G schools are the NC games (even then it may eventually be limited to Away NC games).

Not a good change, IMHO.
              This, should it come to pass, would be horrible. That changes 40+ years of UW Hockey tradition just for the B1G. BB is a revenue making sport, hockey is probably close to break even, maybe not these days, so it makes sense from an economical prespective to have a series on back to back days or the same weekend against the same team. The B1G is just as spread out as the WCHA was for UW (w/ the exception of Alaska). I just don't think weekday games are going to work, or at least not in the short term for the fans who have followed Bucky for decades (or even years) and have an expectation of the weekend series.

I agree w/ Timothy A, the weekend series is an event. I have had hockey weekends blocked off on my calendar for years now. This is minnesota weekend, this is the Denver weekend, this is Miami (OH) weekend, etc.
              Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
              Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
              Originally posted by UWisco
              It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Not a good change, IMHO.
                I think this is drastically overblown. I don't foresee any single game Big Ten games. That doesn't even make sense with the way college hockey is set up. College basketball does it because they play single games all season, I don't see this happening with Big Ten Hockey.

Will there be some Thursday/Friday, Friday/Sunday, Saturday/Sunday series? Probably, but we've known that for a while. Obviously the Big Ten Network is going to try and get as many games on its network as possible, but to say the only Fri-Sat series will be NC doesn't even make sense.

Remember that regional broadcast stations like FS Wisconsin and FS North will still show games that aren't live on the Big Ten Network.

Comment

I have watched the 1st 2 periods so far of the Sunday game. They basically got some good bounces for once (a longtime coming) and also have hit 2 posts so far. I like the physicality they are playing with as well. They need to continue to hammer people. I also like the sparks I have seen in the wrestling after the whistle stuff, they are playing like they hate these guys. Woods seems to be coming on a bit, he did the same thing last year as well. Watching him in space w/o the puck, Zengerlee just doesn't seem to have a spark inside of him right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                    I think this is drastically overblown. I don't foresee any single game Big Ten games. That doesn't even make sense with the way college hockey is set up. College basketball does it because they play single games all season, I don't see this happening with Big Ten Hockey.

Will there be some Thursday/Friday, Friday/Sunday, Saturday/Sunday series? Probably, but we've known that for a while. Obviously the Big Ten Network is going to try and get as many games on its network as possible, but to say the only Fri-Sat series will be NC doesn't even make sense.

Remember that regional broadcast stations like FS Wisconsin and FS North will still show games that aren't live on the Big Ten Network.
                    The only reason that the WCHA did the two game series initially is to limit travel costs (both $$ and time) out to CO. Out east they generally don't play weekend series, the ECAC does the travel partners and Hockey East has been playing weeknight games for years. I'm not saying that it is going to happen next season, but I do believe that with the move to the BT that the weekend series particularly for conference games will gradually fade away to help fill time on the BTN.

Comment

I think this is drastically overblown.
                      The tone in Posic's voice was not encouraging. The fact that he even brought it up says something, he's kinda got to toe the company line as he's the voice and a face of the UW.

Comment

The only reason that the WCHA did the two game series initially is to limit travel costs (both $$ and time) out to CO. Out east they generally don't play weekend series, the ECAC does the travel partners and Hockey East has been playing weeknight games for years. I'm not saying that it is going to happen next season, but I do believe that with the move to the BT that the weekend series particularly for conference games will gradually fade away to help fill time on the BTN.
                        Yes, there are odd weekday games from time to time out east, but look at the distance between the schools compared to the Big Ten.

Comment

Yes, there are odd weekday games from time to time out east, but look at the distance between the schools compared to the Big Ten.
                          If basketball can play single games, so can hockey.

Look at how much more money is in the Big Ten and with the BTN specifically. The traditional Fri-Sat series days are numbered, we may still have Fri-Sun or Sun-Mon series going forward, but I have to believe that eventually single games will become the norm with the need for BTN programming.

Tradition, as a reason for not doing something, is dead in college sports. Even with the Big Ten, money has come to rule the day.

Comment

but I have to believe that eventually single games will become the norm with the need for BTN programming.

From a viewership standpoint, I would LOVE this. It's irksome that all of the games are on the same two nights a week. I enjoy watching other college hockey games, but often miss them due to the Badgers playing at the same time.

From a ticket-holder's point of view, I don't like it and believe that it will mean less games attended by me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Almington View Post
                              In basketball they don't play conference opponents 4 times. It makes zero sense to pay for travel twice to Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, or Michigan State to play single game road games, or vice versa.

Never going to happen. I'm with Chuck on this. There might be a Friday/Sunday, Sunday/Monday, Thursday/Friday, etc... series, but nothing like there is out East.
                              Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 02-19-2013, 02:19 PM.
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Look at how much more money is in the Big Ten and with the BTN specifically. The traditional Fri-Sat series days are numbered, we may still have Fri-Sun or Sun-Mon series going forward, but I have to believe that eventually single games will become the norm with the need for BTN programming.

Tradition, as a reason for not doing something, is dead in college sports. Even with the Big Ten, money has come to rule the day.
                                You've brought up good points but in a sport with already dwindling attendance in a lot of places (including the team we follow), your theory would absolutely murder attendance numbers across the board. Hockey isn't the sport basketball is where they can draw 13k regardless of the night. You could play Wisconsin/Minnesota on a Wednesday in hockey at the Kohl Center and not draw 10k. The marginal potential gain in ad revenue (remember, spread out through 14 teams now, even though 8 don't have hockey) for a random week night hockey game isn't enough to offset the potential revenue losses from attendance decline of doing away with weekend series.

Yes, there will be occasional Thursday and Sunday games, but I do not foresee the Big Ten going to single game system, especially when you have to play each team in the conference four times per season. Basketball only plays twice per season, so they are only making one trip (max) to each town. It's just not financially feasible to make two trips to these towns per season for single games, especially since Wisconsin charters to most of these places.

Comment

Working...
                                X