X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine 2012-13 Part 3D: Still digging

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
    And isn't it ironic that Diamond has hurt the team all year........and then finally comes through just in time to save TIMMAY's neck..........yay!
    I wouldn't lay too much blame on Diamond for this season...he's one of a few that comes to play each and every game...he's a heart & soul type and for sure he has done some dumb things on the ice,but I would rather have him on my team any day...he plays hard and if you watch him during the game...he's always there when someone is bumping the netminder or one of his linemates...he's a player with heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
      I wouldn't lay too much blame on Diamond for this season...he's one of a few that comes to play each and every game...he's a heart & soul type and for sure he has done some dumb things on the ice,but I would rather have him on my team any day...he plays hard and if you watch him during the game...he's always there when someone is bumping the netminder or one of his linemates...he's a player with heart.
      Not to mention his ice awareness which is outstanding. Hey, lets face it, he was put in a nearly impossible situation having to captain a team with little experience and no one to work with him on the ice initially. But it appears he may have figured out how to become effective out there amidst teammates that are finally coming around a bit. True, his fuse is short, be as long as he keeps his temper under control he can be a major factor out there and should be an all HE selection when its said and done. He has had some huge and clutch goals in his career....to go with his unclutch and ill timed penalties. He's a big stage type player, its too bad we couldnt have seen him play in a national championship game because I think it'd be a real treat.
      Last edited by all bear; 02-04-2013, 06:09 PM.
      sure why not

Comment

Well if Marty keeps playing as well as he has, he'll match what Rawlings did tonight and Maine might get a few more points at home when BU shows up in 10 days or so. That weekend's not looking so bad now....

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

With the exception of the season ending series @ UNH, pretty much every game from here out is winnable. If Maine goes roughly .500 from here to the end, and factoring in that Maine has been basically .500 since December 1, I think it's pretty much a lock Timmy stays on. Not saying he necessarily deserves it, but there are enough talking points between the turn around, the grades, etc. that it can be justified in the court of public opinion.

Comment

Congratulations to Joey Diamond and Martin Ouellette for receiving player of the week and goalie of the month awards in Hockey East. At this point in the season the team appears to be developing and coming together at just the right time and is capable of finishing strong in the conference. What we all wanted to see (at least some of us).

Comment

happened to catch the tail end of the timmay show on the radio last night where they were talking about next year's schedule and it sounded like the following for next year (expected slate of 34 games):

Conference Games
              Boston College x2
              Boston University x2
              Merrimack x2
              Providence x2
              Lowell x2
              Northeastern x2
              Notre Dame x2
              UMass x2
              Vermont x2
              New Hampshire x2

Out of Conference Games
              UMass x2
              Vermont x2
              New Hampshire x1 (still working on this one, but they are thinking it'll be a yearly thing perhaps alternating between Portland/Manchvegas)
              Army x1 (though still trying to lock in a date, Portland)
              Florida Tournament x2

not sure who else they may have already scheduled either through reciprocating agreements, etc, but that still leaves six open dates (possibly road OOC)
              timmay stated that it was tough getting teams to come all the way out to orono...
              Last edited by gscott13; 02-05-2013, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Cosgrove gets 3 year extension

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                  With the exception of the season ending series @ UNH, pretty much every game from here out is winnable. If Maine goes roughly .500 from here to the end, and factoring in that Maine has been basically .500 since December 1, I think it's pretty much a lock Timmy stays on. Not saying he necessarily deserves it, but there are enough talking points between the turn around, the grades, etc. that it can be justified in the court of public opinion.
                  right, and some of us were hoping that players in a Maine uniform would one day be able to compete for a national championship

and we are pretty sure that that will NEVER happen as long as Whitehead is there ensuring that Maine finishes around .500 at best, year after year... and that is .500 with wins against Army and Mercyhurst.

so it is not really "Anti-Maine" to hope for the team to perform so poorly that the AD MUST get rid of the problem... sooner rather than later.

that said, it was really nice to be there and see the boys receive a well-deserved standing ovation for a few minutes after Joey's OT goal.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                    happened to catch the tail end of the timmay show on the radio last night where they were talking about next year's schedule and it sounded like the following for next year (expected slate of 34 games):

Conference Games
                    Boston College x2
                    Boston University x2
                    Merrimack x2
                    Providence x2
                    Lowell x2
                    Northeastern x2
                    Notre Dame x2
                    UMass x2
                    Vermont x2
                    New Hampshire x2

Out of Conference Games
                    UMass x2
                    Vermont x2
                    New Hampshire x1 (still working on this one, but they are thinking it'll be a yearly thing perhaps alternating between Portland/Manchvegas)
                    Florida Tournament x2

not sure who else they may have already scheduled either through reciprocating agreements, etc, but that still leaves six open dates (possibly road OOC)
                    timmay stated that it was tough getting teams to come all the way out to orono...
                    With the move to the LTHC and BTHC it is going to be nigh impossible to get those teams to leave their own barns, except maybe to go to Notre Dame to appear on the NBCSN. I would be shocked if we ever see North Dakota, Michigan State or Denver again. Hockey East ought to enter a scheduling agreement with the new WCHA before the ECAC does or else we're going to end up seeing AHA teams for a while. It would also be good karma. It was the WCHA that helped Hockey East when we broke off from the ECAC so it would be nice of us to return the favor. Given a choice between Mercyhurst, Bentley and Robert Morris or Northern Michigan, Bemidji State and the Alaska schools, give me the latter every day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      With the move to the LTHC and BTHC it is going to be nigh impossible to get those teams to leave their own barns, except maybe to go to Notre Dame to appear on the NBCSN. I would be shocked if we ever see North Dakota, Michigan State or Denver again. Hockey East ought to enter a scheduling agreement with the new WCHA before the ECAC does or else we're going to end up seeing AHA teams for a while. It would also be good karma. It was the WCHA that helped Hockey East when we broke off from the ECAC so it would be nice of us to return the favor. Given a choice between Mercyhurst, Bentley and Robert Morris or Northern Michigan, Bemidji State and the Alaska schools, give me the latter every day of the week.
                      agreed. loved the old interlock schedule b/c we got to see those teams regularly.

don't really like the prospect of potentially having to watch up to 7 games between maine and either umass/uvm if playoffs somehow broke that way
                      Last edited by gscott13; 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post

Conference Games
                        Boston College x2
                        Boston University x2
                        Merrimack x2
                        Providence x2
                        Lowell x2
                        Northeastern x2
                        Notre Dame x2
                        UMass x2
                        Vermont x2
                        New Hampshire x2

Out of Conference Games
                        UMass x2
                        Vermont x2
                        Florida Tournament x2

UMass and Vermont in the nonconference? That's gross. There isn't significant history to need to play those teams at home every year. Are the conference games home/home or 2 game series rotating home/away by year? If home/home, that'd be a ton of Sunday games for Maine. Also terrible. I like the idea of an annual Portland/Manchvegas game for Maine/UNH.

Comment

I would think the B1G schools would be looking for OOC possibilities. If they play home and away series with each other, that is still only 20 games. Can they really insist upon 10 or so more home games? I would think they would be looking for quality opponents to alternate series with yearly. Not that I'm a big fan of the NC$$ stepping in with more rules, but I would be in favor of them saying that no more than 55% of a team's games can be home games.
                          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                            UMass and Vermont in the nonconference? That's gross. There isn't significant history to need to play those teams at home every year. Are the conference games home/home or 2 game series rotating home/away by year? If home/home, that'd be a ton of Sunday games for Maine. Also terrible. I like the idea of an annual Portland/Manchvegas game for Maine/UNH.
                            It is gross. Having 5 games against teams in your conference count as out of conference is dumb. The potential to play a team 7 times in a 34 game schedule is even dumber.

Comment

• Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                              It is gross. Having 5 games against teams in your conference count as out of conference is dumb. The potential to play a team 7 times in a 34 game schedule is even dumber.
                              I would be okay with those games if they were against BU or BC but it seems a bit strange to schedule extra games agains UMA or UVM. As someone else said not a lot of history there. Hopefully in a few years things are back to normal and the schedule is more attractive. I am a fan of only playing each team twice instead of three times.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                                I would think the B1G schools would be looking for OOC possibilities. If they play home and away series with each other, that is still only 20 games. Can they really insist upon 10 or so more home games?
                                Yes, they can. And when you make the gate that some of these western teams make every weekend it's hard to turn them down. As far as the Pairwise is concerned, feasting on cupcakes at home is a lot safer than playing even a decent team on the road and risking a loss. This is going to be one of the unforeseen consequences of these new conferences: It'll open up the schedule so the LTHC and BTHC can start scheduling cream puffs like the SEC does in football.

Comment

Working...
                                X