Minnesota State at Alaska Anchorage 1/18 & 1/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota State at Alaska Anchorage 1/18 & 1/19

UAA has 5 points in 16 games in league play. The Mavericks have 16 in 16 games played. This series, with no offense to UAA, is a MUST SWEEP for Minneaota State. Plain and simple. Make the long trip north and west, get two wins, and get home. Keep the rodents out of your heads until next week, boys.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Re: Minnesota State at Alaska Anchorage 1/18 & 1/19

The excitement for this series is just crazy....
    AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      UAA has 5 points in 16 games in league play. The Mavericks have 16 in 16 games played. This series, with no offense to UAA, is a MUST SWEEP for Minneaota State. Plain and simple. Make the long trip north and west, get two wins, and get home. Keep the rodents out of your heads until next week, boys.
      I think the Seawolves will be a bit more desperate than Mankato, so it's a MUST SWEEP for them. If they play with the passion they had when they were beating the Gophers on Fri, they will get some points. They also need to STAY OUT OF THE BOX. No more major penalties, please! Pound that into their heads Shyiak. Sit a player or two if you have to, but get this under control.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Good news for UAA, Bailey will be able to play on Friday night. And Kwas was granted an additional year of eligibility since he won his NCAA appeal.
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
          I think the Seawolves will be a bit more desperate than Mankato, so it's a MUST SWEEP for them. If they play with the passion they had when they were beating the Gophers on Fri, they will get some points. They also need to STAY OUT OF THE BOX. No more major penalties, please! Pound that into their heads Shyiak. Sit a player or two if you have to, but get this under control.
          I understand your point to a degree, but I think this is the "easiest," if there is such a thing in this conference, series left for the Mavericks. Four points is crucial in a push for home ice. UAA has virtually no chance at home ice. The Mavs need it more.
          AF 99

Comment

I understand your point to a degree, but I think this is the "easiest," if there is such a thing in this conference, series left for the Mavericks. Four points is crucial in a push for home ice. UAA has virtually no chance at home ice. The Mavs need it more.
            On top of home ice a loss would knock us right out of the top 16 in the pairwise rankings meaning we would have a very difficult road to the NCAA tourney.

Comment

So, we've established that this is a "must-win" for both teams. I'd love to see our boys come out hot this week. I think they will. From what I understand there was a pretty nasty bug going around the team last weekend. Might have played a role in the results (of course, that's just speculation) and I think they will be ready for this series. Like I said in the MSU thread, I don't see Hastings allowing his teams to play lazy on a regular basis.
              Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

There's a nice writeup on Mavericks goalie Stephon Williams in our local newspaper today. Here's the link:

http://www.adn.com/2013/01/17/275659...fairbanks.html

Should be a good series against our unofficial WCHA rivals, GO SEAWOLVES!

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                  So, we've established that this is a "must-win" for both teams. I'd love to see our boys come out hot this week. I think they will. From what I understand there was a pretty nasty bug going around the team last weekend. Might have played a role in the results (of course, that's just speculation) and I think they will be ready for this series. Like I said in the MSU thread, I don't see Hastings allowing his teams to play lazy on a regular basis.
                  Well, neither team looked very sharp tonight. Had UAA not given away the second goal, they would have won. But man it was ugly until the last half of the 3rd period. About put me to sleep.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Well, neither team looked very sharp tonight. Had UAA not given away the second goal, they would have won. But man it was ugly until the last half of the 3rd period. About put me to sleep.
                    Brutal tie for the Mavs.
                    AF 99

Comment

Brutal tie for the Mavs.
                      The Gophers tied up there too. Don't freak out just yet.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Like I said in another thread, the Friday game is not a gimme vs. UAA for the traveling team. Better teams other than the Mavs have been knocked off on Friday......although not this season. Of greater concern is that the Seawolves scored their two third period goals on four shots. Fortunately the Mavs didn't allow a shot on goal in the OT period.

Comment

A couple of things that have been on my mind ... Matt Bailey needs to be on a line with Blake Tatchell. Bailey will produce more if he doesn't have to do everything himself. While Kory Roy does work hard he never seems to contribute to any scoring plays. I do think that Bailey and Roy have a certain chemistry. But Jordan Kwas is holding Bailey back in big ways. Kwas goes soft into the corners, hasn't been strong on the puck in open ice and generally looks disinterested in really playing hard. I've yet to see a single instance where Kwas has lived up to the potential he showed in his first season when he actually played with passion. If he really is just going through the motions as it appears to me then it's time for him to take a seat.

The line combinations have been pretty consistent all through the season. Maybe some changes will create a spark here or there. Can't hurt in my mind. Leave the 4th line as it is though ... Crowell has stepped up his game enough to be skating regularly and Currier's hustle there has created pressure. The other three lines can be juggled.
                          Last edited by uaafanblog; 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                            A couple of things that have been on my mind ... Matt Bailey needs to be on a line with Blake Tatchell. Bailey will produce more if he doesn't have to do everything himself. While Kory Roy does work hard he never seems to contribute to any scoring plays. I do think that Bailey and Roy have a certain chemistry. But Jordan Kwas is holding Bailey back in big ways. Kwas goes soft into the corners, hasn't been strong on the puck in open ice and generally looks disinterested in really playing hard. I've yet to see a single instance where Kwas has lived up to the potential he showed in his first season when he actually played with passion. If he really is just going through the motions as it appears to me then it's time for him to take a seat.

The line combinations have been pretty consistent all through the season. Maybe some changes will create a spark here or there. Can't hurt in my mind. Leave the 4th line as it is though ... Crowell has stepped up his game enough to be skating regularly and Currier's hustle there has created pressure. The other three lines can be juggled.
                            Wow DD, I thought Kwas showed a lot of hustle and was one of the better players in the last few games. I also think he and Bailey are a good match. Kurt mentioned that specifically last night.

I am disappointed with the effort shown last night, where is the high energy team I watched last Friday?

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I couldn't agree more... I was pretty bored for the 3rd period and doing other things... apparently the Mavs were asleep as well and allowed those 2 goals. Both teams looked like crap last night, but seemed like UAA had more control. Mavs didn't look quite as crappy as last Saturday, but if they keep playing like this we will end up finishing in 10th.

As a side note, the b2 network should feel ashamed that their paid streaming looks like crap compared to Alaska's free one.

Comment

Working...
                              X