Ohio State vs St. Cloud 1/18 - 1/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs St. Cloud 1/18 - 1/19

Coming off a pointless weekend at Wisconsin, it is paramount that we take care of business and get six points this weekend. I don't normally predict sweeps, but we have to get six points this weekend and maintain our spot in the top four. It is crunch time, and we cannot afford to leave any points on the table against teams below us in the standings. We need to come back with a vengeance this weekend, and I am sure our team will be up to the task.

Re: Ohio State vs St. Cloud 1/18 - 1/19

Pgb, what are your thoughts on this series? Any St. Cloud fans out there making the trip down to Columbus for this? Can you tell us what to expect from your team?

Comment

Need 2 Wins. Bringing 'A' Game Very Highly Recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
        Couldn't agree more. We have to get six points when they are there for the taking. This team can accomplish whatever goals they have set for themselves. They are that good! They just need to take care of business and not leave any points on the table.

Comment

Yup. It figures to be a down-to-the-wire, sprint to the finish. Holding anything back just isn't an option. Definitely looking forward to this weekend's games!

Note that a bit of to do has been made of Wisconsin taking over second place. While it's true they now hold second by 5 points, they've also played two extra conference games. Two wins = six points. So the reality is that it's essentially a dead heat, with UND & UMD threatening to join the party.

Comment

So the reality is that it's essentially a dead heat ...
            If OSU can take five points from MSU, then it is a dead heat. A sweep and the Buckeyes are ahead. However, we won't know this for a while, given you won't be playing the Mavericks next.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The standings could be very interesting and seriously tight with the right results this weekend. Results entirely plausible IMO. I would expect, or predict the Buckeyes get 6 pts. on the weekend. Don't tell anyone I said so...but I expect UMD to get 6 as well. Then if UND can sweep...well, you would have a regular log jam. Among those series...the UND sweep has the better chance of not happening, but if it did turn out that way... As Jimmy Dugan might say...game's gettin' pretty interesting.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                Don't tell anyone I said so...but I expect UMD to get 6 as well.
                OK, mum's the word!

(but I agree with you, brooky!)
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  If OSU can take five points from MSU, then it is a dead heat. A sweep and the Buckeyes are ahead. However, we won't know this for a while, given you won't be playing the Mavericks next.
                  Exactly correct, and exactly what I had in mind. Admittedly I glossed over the complexity with the term "essentially."

That said, this weekend's games with the Huskies are no less important simply because they "aren't Mankato." Nobody in the "horse race" can afford to leave any points on the table, especially at home.

Comment

Exactly correct, and exactly what I had in mind. Admittedly I glossed over the complexity with the term "essentially."

That said, this weekend's games with the Huskies are no less important simply because they "aren't Mankato." Nobody in the "horse race" can afford to leave any points on the table, especially at home.
                    Oops. . . looks like somebody left some points on the table. OSU should realize by now that the Huskies (for whatever reason) ALWAYS play the Buckeyes tough.

Comment

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
                      Oops. . . looks like somebody left some points on the table. OSU should realize by now that the Huskies (for whatever reason) ALWAYS play the Buckeyes tough.
                      As long as we take care of business today and get the five points, I am not going to sweat it. Yes, we left a point on the table last night (shootout win), but there's a lot of season left to play. Three points today will move us back into a second-place tie with Wisconsin if UND sweeps.
                      Last edited by osualum86; 01-19-2013, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Pgb, are we going to see your "unofficial" three stars of the game from last night? I am guessing some St. Cloud players will figure into this edition, as well as maybe Ally Tarr (GWG) and the usual stellar play of netminder Chelsea Knapp!

Comment

Definitely did not bring the 'A' game last night. I expect the girls to bring their 'A' game today. They will be ready today.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                            As long as we take care of business today and get the five points, I am not going to sweat it.
                            That's well and good in the context of the WCHA race, but the Buckeyes' record still has them alive and well in the NCAA picture. Nationally, last night's game is just a tie, and a tie at this point of the season to a last-place team does hurt. If you want your team to be taken seriously in the national picture, and based on your previous comments, you do, then the days when you can shrug off bad performances against lesser teams are gone. Every game matters a ton. With all due respect to The Boomer's squad, last night's result is the type of thing I've seen all too often from OSU in the second half over the years.

UMD, UW, and UND struggled in October. All have gotten much better since then, and they've proven their bones in prior seasons. It's not that people disrespect your team; we're all skeptics, and a team has to prove themselves before we're truly going to believe they will be around at the finish.

Good luck to both teams today. I hope they put on a good show.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
                              Touche; this gets to the heart of the matter. But for a more nuanced view of "points on the table," see my Unofficial Three Stars, now available on the WCHA thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X