Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colgate & Cornell @ RPI & Union (1/18, 1/19)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate & Cornell @ RPI & Union (1/18, 1/19)

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    All very sensible-how do you suppose a parent should react to truly bad behavior on the part of their child? And should that reaction be proportionate in its response to just how bad that act is? Just curious as a parent myself and also a former psychiatry resident. (I know-not really hockey related but just passing some time today before all the excitement of this weekend)
    Policeman in Phoenix out here tased his step son for getting a bad report card. I think that is bad. He got fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Havasu M View Post
      Policeman in Phoenix out here tased his step son for getting a bad report card. I think that is bad. He got fired.
      A woman killed her child for failure to memorise the Quran.

Comment

FF: You at least give this a lot of thought-and I commend you for it. Unfortunately-the population at large for the most part does not. It is all black and white to them-either hitting or absolutely no hitting. As you point out this is not at all simple. The effects of positive and negative reinforcement have been documented over many years-and still not many people can agree. As you have said-and I agree totally-every case and probably every instance has to be individualized.
        It always puzzles me a bit that we require people to reach a minimum age and get specialized training and pass a licensing exam before we give them the legal right to drive a motor vehicle. We require people to pass a background check before they are allowed to purchase a rifle for hunting. Yet we allow any twit with an ovary to raise a child without any limitation at all??

very gnarly. it used to be society put limits on such behavior through shaming and family support systems (e.g., grandparents raise children of teen mothers). That has disintegrated and nothing has yet taken its place.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          It always puzzles me a bit that we require people to reach a minimum age and get specialized training and pass a licensing exam before we give them the legal right to drive a motor vehicle. We require people to pass a background check before they are allowed to purchase a rifle for hunting. Yet we allow any twit with an ovary to raise a child without any limitation at all??

very gnarly. it used to be society put limits on such behavior through shaming and family support systems (e.g., grandparents raise children of teen mothers). That has disintegrated and nothing has yet taken its place.
          My dad never raised a hand to his children. However, he could make one small statement or a look and you felt overwhelmed with guilt. Worked like a charm with me. But you have it right-you need a license to do just about anything else in this country except have a child.

Now back to hockey this weekend-tonight NBC sports is showing Princeton at Massachusetts at 7PM. I suppose all these college broadcasts may disappear after this weekend as the NHL gets restarted. I missed the NHL but sure hope we still get these various NCAA games on TV.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

My dad never raised a hand to his children. However, he could make one small statement or a look and you felt overwhelmed with guilt. Worked like a charm with me. But you have it right-you need a license to do just about anything else in this country except have a child.

Now back to hockey this weekend-tonight NBC sports is showing Princeton at Massachusetts at 7PM. I suppose all these college broadcasts may disappear after this weekend as the NHL gets restarted. I missed the NHL but sure hope we still get these various NCAA games on TV.
            Providence (not PU) vs UMass-Lowell
            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

• Originally posted by turk181 View Post
              According to the TW Cable guide, it says Princeton. Either way, I'll be watching.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                Comcast had it as Princeton in their guide. Thanks for the correction. I had thought it odd since the ECAC was only playing league games.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  Comcast had it as Princeton in their guide. Thanks for the correction. I had thought it odd since the ECAC was only playing league games.
                  It could be Princeton DrD. They don't have an ECACH game either on Friday or Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                    It could be Princeton DrD. They don't have an ECACH game either on Friday or Saturday.
                    Nope-as usual Comcast does not have its act together. It is Providence. I'll watch a bit of it-but I have less interest since it does not involve an ECAC team.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      Nope-as usual Comcast does not have its act together. It is Providence. I'll watch a bit of it-but I have less interest since it does not involve an ECAC team.
                      Yup. TW Cable is just as incompetent. Well, at least you can watch Harvard-Yale tomorrow night on the same network. I'll be at the RPI game.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                        Yup. TW Cable is just as incompetent. Well, at least you can watch Harvard-Yale tomorrow night on the same network. I'll be at the RPI game.
                        May be an NBC Sports program listing issue - Dish showed Princeton as well.
                        Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

Game day LET'S GO RED!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
                            Game day LET'S GO RED!!
                            Right! It's okay to "spank" the opposition!
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Blog post on Ned Harkness that 3 of the 4 teams involved this weekend can appreciate. I don't know who is behind this blog - certainly not me!
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                Blog post on Ned Harkness that 3 of the 4 teams involved this weekend can appreciate. I don't know who is behind this blog - certainly not me!
                                Until I saw the URL, I would have guessed a Colgate fan.

Very nice article.

Comment

Working...
                                X