Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
    Brooks and Johnson hated each other and you could tell that carried onto the ice.
    Big time.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      Not during the 70's they weren't. And if Mariucci were alive to answer for himself, I'd guess he'd say the biggest rival when he was coaching was Michigan. Biggest rivals when Herbie was coaching were probably Tech and Wisconsin.

I'm just sick of talking about it. Sick of the whining about it. I almost don't want to play them again because I'm sick of the complaining. Like I said, I've moved on.
      Yep. If you can't get up for Michigan, Wisconsin and even MSU...you might as well hang up the remote.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

My first season having tickets was in 1972-73, so I can speak from experience. There is no doubt that in the 70's the Gophers' biggest rival was Wisconsin! Their fans traveled very well...the old barn here always had lots of red in the stands when the Badgers came to town, and they made a LOT of noise. Gopher fans were of course just as passionate. It also didn't hurt that beyond the battles in the league both teams were such national powers. Between my first year in 1972-73 and 1982-83 (11 years) the Gophers and Badgers won the NCAA title 7 times. Toward the end of that timeframe North Dakota was coming on strong too and they gradually became just as big of a rival, eventually surpassing Wisconsin as the Gophers' No. 1.

Now with the Big Ten looming I expect Wisconsin to start out being the Gophers' No. 1 again, and then we'll just have to see what develops from there. Too early to say for sure right now, IMO, but if I had to guess I think it will eventually be Michigan. They are down right now but I don't expect that to last long.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

One problem I see for the Gopher's future is Seth Helgeson cant handle wings with outside speed. Did Lucia sit him the last 10 min. and OT for the ND game? Rocco and Kristo aren't the only fast wings in the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie2dog View Post
            One problem I see for the Gopher's future is Seth Helgeson cant handle wings with outside speed. Did Lucia sit him the last 10 min. and OT for the ND game? Rocco and Kristo aren't the only fast wings in the WCHA.
            Valid. Although I don't know that he hits like it, the guy is like 6 foot 10 or something. His speed is not bad for his size. Anyways, he's just one player and he's a veteran so his mental errors are relatively few. We'll see.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
              New rivalries will grow. Growing up the UND rivalry wasn't nearly what it is now. I've moved on.
              I am 43. In the 70's and the early to mid 80's it was BADgers and Tech. Today it's und and tomorrow? Who knows but my guess would be Wisconsin and Michigan.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I admit I will miss the Gophers playing UND, those games are intense and playoff-like no matter what time of year or where they are played. I know other rivalries will rise up, but playing the sioux\sue\whioux usually brought out the best and worst of players and fans alike. Fun stuff.
                Originally posted by CavalryNate
                Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                sigpic

Comment

For those not listening to the Lucia show on KSTP, the schedule next year:

20 game B1G
                  2 Mariucci Classic
                  2 Notre Dame
                  2 BC/Northeastern
                  2 @BSU
                  Vs SCSU @ MN Cup
                  vs UMD/MSUM @ MN Cup
                  2 UMD (@Mariucci)
                  2 MSUM (@Mariucci)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post

20 game B1G
                    2 Mariucci Classic
                    2 Notre Dame
                    2 BC/Northeastern
                    2 @BSU
                    Vs SCSU @ MN Cup
                    vs UMD/MSUM @ MN Cup
                    2 UMD (@Mariucci)
                    2 MSUM (@Mariucci)
                    At Bemidji...very cool.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                    Twenty red lights in his honor
                    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      I am 43. In the 70's and the early to mid 80's it was BADgers and Tech. Today it's und and tomorrow? Who knows but my guess would be Wisconsin and Michigan.
                      I'm close to the same age, and remember it the same as you do. The Badgers and Tech when I was really young. My guess is Wisconsin rivalry intensifies. Michigan could heat up too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post

20 game B1G
                        2 Mariucci Classic
                        2 Notre Dame
                        2 BC/Northeastern
                        2 @BSU
                        Vs SCSU @ MN Cup
                        vs UMD/MSUM @ MN Cup
                        2 UMD (@Mariucci)
                        2 MSUM (@Mariucci)
                        Looks good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                          At Bemidji...very cool.
                          That is because they were left out of the MN Cup tournament. The odd team out gets a home series against the Gophers.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            That is because they were left out of the MN Cup tournament. The odd team out gets a home series against the Gophers.
                            And the 2 teams we don't play night 1 @MN cup come to UMN

Explains the schedule nicely. I extended our group thanks to tDon for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post

20 game B1G
                              2 Mariucci Classic
                              2 Notre Dame
                              2 BC/Northeastern
                              2 @BSU
                              Vs SCSU @ MN Cup
                              vs UMD/MSUM @ MN Cup
                              2 UMD (@Mariucci)
                              2 MSUM (@Mariucci)
                              Thanks. I thought we already know next year will be BC coming to Mariucci and us going to ND? If so, MN cup counts as home games?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                Thanks. I thought we already know next year will be BC coming to Mariucci and us going to ND? If so, MN cup counts as home games?
                                My understanding is MN Cup does count as home games.

Comment

Working...
                                X