Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

I went down to Mankato for the epic game three a few years ago. Best hockey game I've ever attended.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I went down to Mankato for the epic game three a few years ago. Best hockey game I've ever attended.
      I was down there for all three. I will die before I reach 50 because of it.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        If that was the playoff game, I was at Senser's in Bloomington with friends. And they promised to stay open until the game ended. That was Mankato Meltdown weekend (Fri)
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

According to Burton, the Gophers won't be scheduling UND for a few years because he thinks Lucia doesn't like the extreme physical play and typical rough stuff that characterizes the rivalry.

This is an example of how deductive reasoning can make a blog writer look naive and disconnected. I highly doubt Lucia's comment regarding the "rough stuff" meant he was completely resistant to scheduling UND in the future. IMO he was simply making a comment about the physicality and intense nature of the rivalry that unfortunately has tended to become violently out of control in the past (e.g. Ben Blood incident).

Don Lucia commented on the future of scheduling Gopher-UND games with Russo:

“We have a four-year deal with Northeastern and Boston College [starting next year], so it’s something I want to continue to do – at least every year get out to the east coast. Right now, we’ll have our 20 Big Ten games, our eight in-state games – that’s 28, we’ll have our tournament, that’s 30, so that will leave us with four games a year.

Right now we’re locked in with Notre Dame, B.C. and Northeastern, and when that drops off, we’ll get North Dakota back on when Notre Dame drops off. When B.C. drops off, that will free up another opportunity to go out East to play somebody every other year back and forth. The plan is to try to get out to the east coast every other year.”

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
            According to Burton, the Gophers won't be scheduling UND for a few years because he thinks Lucia doesn't like the extreme physical play and typical rough stuff that characterizes the rivalry.

This is an example of how deductive reasoning can make a blog writer look naive and disconnected. I highly doubt Lucia's comment regarding the "rough stuff" meant he was completely resistant to scheduling UND in the future. IMO he was simply making a comment about the physicality and intense nature of the rivalry that unfortunately has tended to become violently out of control in the past (e.g. Ben Blood incident).

Don Lucia commented on the future of scheduling Gopher-UND games with Russo:
            Goon believes what he wants to believe. And honestly, if completely ignoring the facts wasn't annoying enough, he has completely beaten this subject into the ground the last few months.

Personally, I am going to miss the on-ice play that comes with this rivalry the next 4 years, but won't at all miss some of this crap that comes with it.
            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
              How health is Haula now?
              So do you sit Haula and let him heal some more or does he play against the purple land cows?
              - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
              Go you Green and White
              Go Bemidji Beavers
              Fight with all your might!
              Rah! Rah! Rah!
              We are here to cheer you
              We are out to win your fame,
              So, Go Bemidji Beavers
              Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                He only writes at night so the black helicopters can't spy on him.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                Twenty red lights in his honor
                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Tough to see the end of the UND series. Reading the Wis thread, where even their fans, following a number of wins, are complaining about how boring they are to watch. Tough to get fired up for that being the biggest rival. And Mich seems to be completely down the tubes. I've heard 4 years (Lucia quote) until they play UND again, and 2 years (Potulny quote). In 4 years, we'll have lost all the players who experienced this year's and last year's games and could share the history of the rivalry with new players. Hopefully they'll have some meetings in Regionals in that time period to keep the rivalry from dying too quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                    Tough to see the end of the UND series. Reading the Wis thread, where even their fans, following a number of wins, are complaining about how boring they are to watch. Tough to get fired up for that being the biggest rival. And Mich seems to be completely down the tubes. I've heard 4 years (Lucia quote) until they play UND again, and 2 years (Potulny quote). In 4 years, we'll have lost all the players who experienced this year's and last year's games and could share the history of the rivalry with new players. Hopefully they'll have some meetings in Regionals in that time period to keep the rivalry from dying too quickly.
                    New rivalries will grow. Growing up the UND rivalry wasn't nearly what it is now. I've moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                      New rivalries will grow. Growing up the UND rivalry wasn't nearly what it is now. I've moved on.
                      This. UND who? The relationship means more to them than us. I moved on.

Bring on Michigan, Michigan St, OSU, etc. Any time we can beat up on fellow big ten teams...count me in.

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
                      So do you sit Haula and let him heal some more or does he play against the purple land cows?
                      Don't know enough about the injury...but I say play em. He'll be gone permanently soon enough...and we need him sharpened for the playoffs after several weeks off.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        How old are you? Because Lou Nanne said he considered NoDak as always being their biggest rival. He said the same thing of John Mariucci.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

There's no question the UND rivalry has been the biggest and most heated for Gopher hockey.
                          Others have cropped up and been super intense over the years (Tech, Denver, Wisco, Mich) but none of them have had the consistency of mutual hate and big moments like UND has.

That being said, things are changing. As much as some of us want to grasp to hold on to the old, it will be different. We can either adjust and move forward or try to cling, kicking and screaming, to something that has passed.

C'est la vie.
                          I don't need UND to find joy, passion, pride and emotion in Gopher hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            How old are you? Because Lou Nanne said he considered NoDak as always being their biggest rival. He said the same thing of John Mariucci.
                            Not during the 70's they weren't. And if Mariucci were alive to answer for himself, I'd guess he'd say the biggest rival when he was coaching was Michigan. Biggest rivals when Herbie was coaching were probably Tech and Wisconsin.

I'm just sick of talking about it. Sick of the whining about it. I almost don't want to play them again because I'm sick of the complaining. Like I said, I've moved on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                              There's no question the UND rivalry has been the biggest and most heated for Gopher hockey.
                              Others have cropped up and been super intense over the years (Tech, Denver, Wisco, Mich) but none of them have had the consistency of mutual hate and big moments like UND has.

That being said, things are changing. As much as some of us want to grasp to hold on to the old, it will be different. We can either adjust and move forward or try to cling, kicking and screaming, to something that has passed.

C'est la vie.
                              I don't need UND to find joy, passion, pride and emotion in Gopher hockey.
                              The past 30 years? You bet. Before that, no way.

Comment

Brooks and Johnson hated each other and you could tell that carried onto the ice.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                                Twenty red lights in his honor
                                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X