Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
    It will be interesting though if Bucky gets in the NCAA tourney, that would be 6 WCHA teams if everything falls in place. Good chance to get a couple of them at the Frozen Four.
    Wouldn't they probably knock out Denver if Wisconsin snuck in?

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
      An all WCHA Frozen 4 works for me

I don't know if you are familiar with the Massey Ratings. He has 4 WCHA teams ranked among the Top 6 teams, and 5 out of the Top 9 for this season.

One thing I don't like about his site is I can't figure out how to find out what the week by week ratings were for past seasons. It would be nice to see how he had the teams rated BEFORE the tourney started. But in his final ratings for 2004, he had 4 WCHA teams rated #1-#4, and he also had WCHA teams rated #7, #8 & #9. And that was the first time since 1997 that we did get more than 1 team into the Frozen Four. And of course you know what happened in 2005.

He had 3 WCHA teams rated in the Top 4 after that season, with 5 of the Top 8 spots being held by WCHA teams. Michigan was the #1 team going into the tourney that year, so it would make sense even with their being upset in the 2nd round, that they still hung on in the Top 4.

Then in 2006, another year we got 2 teams into the FF, he had 3 WCHA teams in his Top 4.

So from what I can tell, his rating system did pretty accurately judge the strength of the WCHA during that time period.

So we might not get all 4 again this year, but it wouldn't be a huge shock if we did.

Comment

More all-game packages for the Final Five were sold before the field was determined, Lucia said, than ever before. "You would think we will have the best attendance we have ever had," he said. "We're playing Friday night, and there will be a great crowd whoever we play." St. Cloud State coach Bob Motzko agrees with Lucia... "This could be a special weekend," Motzko said on his radio show... "Tickets are going off the shelves. People can't find tickets."

Lower-level tickets for Saturday's championship game are selling for as much as $146 apiece on the lower level, and $107 on the upper level on Stub Hub and it's only Monday.

Sadly, Motzko said, the teams in the Final Five this year will be in three leagues next season. Coaches who have been around for long time, Lucia said, will miss the tournament more than players and fans. "That why getting piece of the MacNaughton Cup was so important. ... And this is our last chance at the Broadmoor Trophy."
        The record attendance total for a WCHA Final Five at the Xcel Energy Center was 88,900 in 2007, including a record 19,463 for the championship game. The Gophers won that game against UND on Wheeler's diving shot (always worth watching again ):

Comment

Nothing like laying it all out there. Thanks for the video that was a special moment. I always love hustle plays.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
            The record attendance total for a WCHA Final Five at the Xcel Energy Center was 88,900 in 2007, including a record 19,463 for the championship game. The Gophers won that game against UND on Wheeler's diving shot (always worth watching again ):

I really can never get enough of watching that. Especially the complaining look on the Whioux defender when Blake just pushed his stick out of the way. You can tell he was looking for a "holding the stick" call, but he should probably have been called for hooking, so I'd say it's a wash

Comment

I actually think Lee was holding his hand out because he thought Wheeler was taking a flop.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post
                I really can never get enough of watching that. Especially the complaining look on the Whioux defender when Blake just pushed his stick out of the way. You can tell he was looking for a "holding the stick" call, but he should probably have been called for hooking, so I'd say it's a wash
                It was Brian Lee and of course you never get tired of watching that highlight, that was when handlebars were standard on gopher jerseys! I'm sure Lee didn't have a complaining look the next week........

"The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post

"...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                    It was Brian Lee and of course you never get tired of watching that highlight, that was when handlebars were standard on gopher jerseys! I'm sure Lee didn't have a complaining look the next week........

pretty amazing it's been 13 years since UND had a good team.
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                      pretty amazing it's been 13 years since UND had a good team.
                      Haha remember all your "....haven't won an NC in 10 years.." trash? Might as well aim that dung slinging cannon right in your face!
                      "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                      Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        Well maybe they assume SCSU won't win more than one at most, so that takes out one bracket for the WCHA.

Are the women on tv today? And when are the Women's frozen four times and does anyone know if it is on tv? Might be worth watching.
                        Tickets have been sold out for a while. Big Ten will have the championship game on TV if the Gophers are in the finals.

Comment

Haha remember all your "....haven't won an NC in 10 years.." trash? Might as well aim that dung slinging cannon right in your face!
                          did I miss where you guys have won a NC? I can't remmember your last one at all.
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                            did I miss where you guys have won a NC? I can't remmember your last one at all.
                            Here this will help:

https://www.google.com/

Comment

Here this will help:

https://www.google.com/
                              Did Google exist the last time UND won a champion-chip? I didn't know they were in business that long ago...
                              "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Originally posted by firstpusk View Post
                                Did Google exist the last time UND won a champion-chip? I didn't know they were in business that long ago...
                                Last time they won a title you had to look it up on Netscape.
                                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                                X