Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Did Tipsy steal your login? They went 17-3-5 or .800 through Jan 19 including an 11-1-3 stretch at the end of it. Since Jan 19 they are 4-4-2. Pretty glaring difference.
    But of those weekends, which one did they play two good, consistent games both nights?
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
      But of those weekends, which one did they play two good, consistent games both nights?
      North Dakota - If not for Hunt and Shep Gophers win instead of tie.
      - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
      Go you Green and White
      Go Bemidji Beavers
      Fight with all your might!
      Rah! Rah! Rah!
      We are here to cheer you
      We are out to win your fame,
      So, Go Bemidji Beavers
      Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

I still think this gopher team will kick it in gear when the tourney begins. Last year they showed some grit and intensity, and this year's team has shown those qualities as well. While they might not play as well or with as much fire as much of the time as you all would like, this team has at least shown it can play with that attitude, unlike gopher teams in the not too distant past which gave us Nodaks a reason to want to get up in the morning and will forever remain dear to our hearts.

I've gotten to where I adjust my expectations to avoid the risk of disappointment and depression. I nurse my scotch and smile when they do something good. Goals are fun. If they win a handshake battle now and then, even better. If they steal one from the gophs, I giggle on my way to bed. If they lose, there's always the gud dam refs.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          I still think this gopher team will kick it in gear when the tourney begins. Last year they showed some grit and intensity, and this year's team has shown those qualities as well. While they might not play as well or with as much fire as much of the time as you all would like, this team has at least shown it can play with that attitude, unlike gopher teams in the not too distant past which gave us Nodaks a reason to want to get up in the morning and will forever remain dear to our hearts.
          That has been exactly my sentiment, but last night has got me questioning. I viewed this weekend not as a must-sweep, but definitely as a must-perform. Mostly because I figured the Mac was out of reach, and a split to go along with a sweep next weekend would be good enough for 2nd in the conference. So putting two strong games together against an NCAA Tournament-type team was important in preparation for the play-offs, and a split was important for conference standing.

But last night they did not perform. And that has got me a bit worried.

Comment

For as horribly as it sounded like they played (I missed the whole game) they essentially lost 1-0, were we lucky to be down by only 1? Or did we still make it a game playing crappy?
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
              For as horribly as it sounded like they played (I missed the whole game) they essentially lost 1-0, were we lucky to be down by only 1? Or did we still make it a game playing crappy?
              I thought Wilcox kept it close.
              To be honest, Denver did not look all that impressive with the puck. They did a good job taking away passing lanes and protecting their netminder.
              But Wilcox made a couple big-time saves, and I think that kept things a bit closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                we were lucky we won a face off... It was PUTRID - No effort at all, soft baby passes, no one wanted the puck , no one wanted to take body. If it were not for TWOCOX it would of been a 7-0 game
                - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                Go you Green and White
                Go Bemidji Beavers
                Fight with all your might!
                Rah! Rah! Rah!
                We are here to cheer you
                We are out to win your fame,
                So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
                  North Dakota - If not for Hunt and Shep Gophers win instead of tie.
                  Fair enough, I wasn't able to watch that series at all

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

Talking with a buddy pre-game, we decided that the one redeeming thing about the Friday game is that the Gophers played about as dead a game as they could, and basically lost 1-0 on a fluke bounce off a skate, then the ENG.

My concern was that I didn't like the complete and utter lack of effort. Tonight was a total 180 from last night. If they keep playing like they did tonight, I have no real worries the rest of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post
                      Talking with a buddy pre-game, we decided that the one redeeming thing about the Friday game is that the Gophers played about as dead a game as they could, and basically lost 1-0 on a fluke bounce off a skate, then the ENG.

My concern was that I didn't like the complete and utter lack of effort. Tonight was a total 180 from last night. If they keep playing like they did tonight, I have no real worries the rest of the year.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post

Agreed, but the PP needs to start clicking. It's been not just bad, but Wisconsin-like the past 4-6 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                          Agreed, but the PP needs to start clicking. It's been not just bad, but Wisconsin-like the past 4-6 games.
                          Actually UW managed to go 2 for 8 this weekend

Comment

So what are they up to, 10.2% on the season?

Comment

DU: the most important series of the year. Not because it was worth more than 4 pts nor that DU was the best team.

But this is the recipe of how the Gophers lose (if they do) down the stretch. Defense always comes to the front in the NCAAs. The primary risk to this team is a defensive struggle where the opponent scores first. Hopefully the contrast between these two games sticks with the team for the next month and a half.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Hard backchecking = good games for the Gophers.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                                Twenty red lights in his honor
                                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X