Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

It will be Minnesota and Michigan making the NCAA's every year, since Michigan has the best recruiting class every year and we are Minnesota and have the best history and tradition.

Comment

I think these teams with a some what decent history and tradition (MSU and Sconi) Truly shot themselves in the forehead (especially sconi) when they went along with the BIG idea. It will be many rough years ahead for those institutions in hockey. They may get more money, but certainly not more hardware.
      - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
      Go you Green and White
      Go Bemidji Beavers
      Fight with all your might!
      Rah! Rah! Rah!
      We are here to cheer you
      We are out to win your fame,
      So, Go Bemidji Beavers
      Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
        It will be Minnesota and Michigan making the NCAA's every year, since Michigan has the best recruiting class every year and we are Minnesota and have the best history and tradition.

Yeah, but we're entitled, so I see 3 B1G teams getting in each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Yeah, but we're entitled, so I see 3 B1G teams getting in each year.
          Considering the sizable border you share with Minnesota, I'll have to agree with you.
          You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
            A. It was a joke. Quit being so sensitive.
            B. So because they were some of your best means they were good? If you compare them to other goalies in the league at that time, their numbers say they were pretty average. Here are some just off the top of my head:

.926 Marc Cheverie (2007-10)
            .924 Bobby Goepfert (2005-07)
            .924 Sam Brittain (2010-present)
            .922 Richard Bachmann (2007-09)
            .920 Jase Weslosky (2006-09)
            .920 Jean-Philippe Lamoureux (2004-08)
            .917 Mike Lee (2009-12)
            .917 Peter Mannino (2004-08)
            .913 Patterson, Kent 2009-2012
            .913 Shane Connelly (2005-09)
            .913 Kenny Reiter (2009-12)
            .912 Aaron Dell (2009-12)
            .912 Kangas, Alex 2008-2011
            .912 Scott Gudmandson (2007-11)
            .910 Alex Stalock 2006-09
            .910 Mike Zacharias 2005-09
            .906 Brad Eidsness (2008-12)
            .901 Frazee, Jeff 2006-2008
            At that time? The above is not correlational, it's a meta-analysis. And you came up with this off the top of your head? Wow, impressive. JFYI, in his senior year, Patterson was named to the All-WCHA First Team and received the WCHA Goaltending Champion award as the goalie with the lowest goals against average of 2.06...not too shabby. The Avalanche signed him last year to a two-year, two-way contract for $1.25 million.

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            I believe we see three teams making the tourney and maybe once in a while four teams. We will see.
            I suspect the name brand and broad media exposure should attract some of the best college hockey recruits available to conference teams and soon make the BTHC one the strongest D1 conferences. With other B1G schools like Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska possibly being added over the next five years or so, the conference will help facilitate expansion of the sport in new markets as well. All good stuff. By the way, you're a wiener.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
              With other B1G schools like Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska possibly being added over the next five years or so
              IALtO
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                At that time? The above is not correlational, it's a meta-analysis. And you came up with this off the top of your head? Wow, impressive. JFYI, in his senior year, Patterson was named to the All-WCHA First Team and received the WCHA Goaltending Champion award as the goalie with the lowest goals against average of 2.06...not too shabby. The Avalanche signed him last year to a two-year, two-way contract for $1.25 million.
                No, I thought of the goalies off the top of my head. Then looked up their save percentages. I used career SV% because that was what your fellow Gopher fan used to show how good Frazee, Kangas and Patterson were. Do you honestly think that at any point in his career Patterson was the best goalie in the WCHA? Also, please explain why you think GAA is a more accurate statistic to use when comparing goalies.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Fascinating discussion here. So because the Big Ten has fewer teams and less chance to send teams into the NCAA's perhaps over a period of decades the Big Ten might have difficulty keeping up with NCAA wins, National Championships of other current powers. As of right now you could have it where 4 or 5 big ten teams made the NCAA tournament but in the future that is going to be much less.

Does that make any sort of sense?
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                    Aren't you guys jumping the gun a little bit assuming the BIG will get an auto bid? I mean, is there another conference in the country with only one team in the top 20 PWR?
                    I believe it will be business as usual. The big tourney champ will still get the unofficial automatic bid. On another note I predict BiG fans will brag about how it is harder to win the BiG than the national championship.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                      IALtO
                      I also once thought Penn State would never jump in the icebox.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                        I also once thought Penn State would never jump in the icebox.
                        And what are the odds of catching lighting in a bottle a second time and in the next five years?
                        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                          No, I thought of the goalies off the top of my head. Then looked up their save percentages. I used career SV% because that was what your fellow Gopher fan used to show how good Frazee, Kangas and Patterson were. Do you honestly think that at any point in his career Patterson was the best goalie in the WCHA? Also, please explain why you think GAA is a more accurate statistic to use when comparing goalies.
                          Absolutely - he was the best goalie in all of NCAA D-1 Hockey last year. Yes, there are a handful of goalies with better numbers, but NONE of them come even close to playing 43 games last year.

Go Bemidji Beavers
                          Go you Green and White
                          Go Bemidji Beavers
                          Rah! Rah! Rah!
                          We are here to cheer you
                          So, Go Bemidji Beavers

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                            Fascinating discussion here. So because the Big Ten has fewer teams and less chance to send teams into the NCAA's perhaps over a period of decades the Big Ten might have difficulty keeping up with NCAA wins, National Championships of other current powers. As of right now you could have it where 4 or 5 big ten teams made the NCAA tournament but in the future that is going to be much less.

Does that make any sort of sense?
                            Whoa, NO ONE in this discussion EVER said that..... I am pretty sure the U of M's will do just fine being the only perennial representatives of the B1G

Go Bemidji Beavers
                            Go you Green and White
                            Go Bemidji Beavers
                            Rah! Rah! Rah!
                            We are here to cheer you
                            So, Go Bemidji Beavers

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                              And what are the odds of catching lighting in a bottle a second time and in the next five years?
                              Not likely, but they are starting a Big Ten Hockey Conference for the first time in conference history. What happens if the Jimmy John's CEO jumps in the Icebox? It will be interesting and of course I have my doubts we see a new Big Ten school jump in today or ten years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post

I suspect the name brand and broad media exposure should attract some of the best college hockey recruits available to conference teams and soon make the BTHC one the strongest D1 conferences. With other B1G schools like Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska possibly being added over the next five years or so, the conference will help facilitate expansion of the sport in new markets as well. All good stuff. By the way, you're a wiener.
                                You really got to try Nate's Dogs they are awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X