Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013 Part II: Mmmm, Iron City Beer!

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    One of the *ahem* highlights. That game, and the Legg goal I know about, and have seen highlights from, but obviously will never know that pain.
    The game where Aaron Broten put the puck through the net but the Refs never saw (but later patched a hole in the net between periods) was very tough to take as well. From my angle in the balcony, there was zero question if it was a goal. That line was just phenomenal to watch.
    Last edited by Koho; 01-27-2013, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
      I didn't get to watch last night's game but did see Holl scored. Could not be happier for a kid, he is quickly becoming one hell of a forward.
      He had his best game yet as a forward. He had a couple other chances, walked a guy and went around the goalie on another play, and was constantly taking the puck away from players. He seems to have settled in pretty well to the position. Looks like maybe it is a good thing Lucia didn't listen to posters early on whining about him playing forward. Every once in awhile, the coach seems to get lucky and get it right and a few posters are wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
        I made the comment a few days back that I thought over the long run, UND is hands down the biggest rival from a MN perspective.
        What I mean to say is that if you look, on aggregate, at the rivalries in Gopher Hockey history UND has found itself on that list higher up and for longer than any other team.

My dad grew up in MPLS. When he was 13 his dad passed and his family moved to Grand Forks to be close to his grandparents. The stories he tells of going to games in the late-50's in Grand Forks are worthy of their own documentary.

Certainly other rivalries have cropped up and grown, but over the long haul it seems hard to argue the relationship that MN and UND have had.

For the record, I started watching Gopher hockey in the mid 80's, and I was young at the time. So my first hand experience is quite limited, admittedly.
        I'd say that is pretty fair. UND was good before the Badgers were, so I agree that they have probably been near the top of the Gopher's rivalry list for the the longest period of time. Not by a whole lot though. I'd say overall, it's been pretty close between UND and UW.

The point I was trying to make was that whom we consider the "Top" Gopher rival has been fluid over time. So, in 5-10 years, I think history has shown us that the UND rivalry is going to diminish some whether we play them or not. Playing them in non-conference games won't feel the same after a while. We saw it with the Michigan rivalry when they moved to the CCHA. I think in the next 5-10 years we will see our rivalries with UW, Michigan, and maybe Michigan State heat up a lot more as we start battling those teams for conference position, etc..
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
          The game where Aaron Broten put the puck through the net but the Refs never saw (but later patched a hole in the net between periods) was very tough to take as well. From my angle in the balcony, there was zero question if it was a goal.
          Balcony too.....was a no doubter.
          What hurt most of the Legg goal-UMi game was Bonin hit the pipe square with a wide open net and ~30 seconds to play.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
            The game where Aaron Broten put the puck through the net but the Refs never saw (but later patched a hole in the net between periods) was very tough to take as well. From my angle in the balcony, there was zero question if it was a goal.
            Even today it bugs me.
            The Harvard loss in the championship still butt hurts.
            There were some great teams in the 80s that fell just short. Poor woog and company. I remember when his name came up to fill the coaching spot there were plenty of unhappy campers. If I remember correctly he was the third or fourth choice maybe fifth. Oh, fun times! Iam going to miss the wcha.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
              Balcony too.....was a no doubter.
              What hurt most of the Legg goal-UMi game was Bonin hit the pipe square with a wide open net and ~30 seconds to play.
              We were stunned at the time basically we didn't know what happened because we never had seen anybody do it before. Ugh! Still ticked.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

The game where Aaron Broten put the puck through the net but the Refs never saw (but later patched a hole in the net between periods) was very tough to take as well. From my angle in the balcony, there was zero question if it was a goal. That line was just phenomenal to watch.
                I had the perfect viewing angle on that goal, right on the rail just above where the Zamboni came out at center ice. Wicked slapshot! When the puck went past the goalie I could clearly see the net bulge behind him, and there was no one else around the net who could have caused that to happen.

The Gophers loss to Harvard in the NCAA championship game was disappointing but not devastating for me personally, only because I happen to be a Harvard alum. By the time that game was played I had been a Gopher season ticket holder for 17 years, so I was very familiar with the players and the program compared to Harvard's, which I was no longer following much at all. I remember it being a weird feeling when the final horn sounded, ending what was probably the most exciting college hockey game that I've ever witnessed. Even though Harvard had some outstanding talent on that team, so did the Gophers and they were deeper - Gophers should have won that one!
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  I had the perfect viewing angle on that goal, right on the rail just above where the Zamboni came out at center ice. Wicked slapshot! When the puck went past the goalie I could clearly see the net bulge behind him, and there was no one else around the net who could have caused that to happen.

The Gophers loss to Harvard in the NCAA championship game was disappointing but not devastating for me personally, only because I happen to be a Harvard alum. By the time that game was played I had been a Gopher season ticket holder for 17 years, so I was very familiar with the players and the program compared to Harvard's, which I was no longer following much at all. I remember it being a weird feeling when the final horn sounded, ending what was probably the most exciting college hockey game that I've ever witnessed. Even though Harvard had some outstanding talent on that team, so did the Gophers and they were deeper - Gophers should have won that one!
                  What bothers me so much about the missed goal, is the Gophs actually scored and it didn't count, versus the other two games where things just didn't go the way they seem they should have. Pipes happen. But when most of the fans see a goal, and it is ruled no goal, there is just a hopeless feeling.

Comment

What bothers me so much about the missed goal, is the Gophs actually scored and it didn't count, versus the other two games where things just didn't go the way they seem they should have. Pipes happen. But when most of the fans see a goal, and it is ruled no goal, there is just a hopeless feeling.
                    Too bad they didn't have video replays back then. If they did it clearly would have counted.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                      Lots of fun hockey in the 80's for sure. Though the loss to Harvard in the finals probably stings more than any other Gopher loss for me.
                      I was at that game. I cried. In my defense, I was five years old.

I bow my head for a moment of silence every time I see that stupid "HARVARD: 1989" banner in the rafters at the Frozen Four.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

I bow my head for a moment of silence every time I see that stupid "HARVARD: 1989" banner in the rafters at the Frozen Four.
                        Yeah. I get a sick feeling in my stomach every time it's brought up.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post

I was 7, but my dad left me home for that one. I think he was anticipating that there would be a few too many words coming out his mouth that night that I wasn't allowed to use

Comment

He had his best game yet as a forward. He had a couple other chances, walked a guy and went around the goalie on another play, and was constantly taking the puck away from players. He seems to have settled in pretty well to the position. Looks like maybe it is a good thing Lucia didn't listen to posters early on whining about him playing forward. Every once in awhile, the coach seems to get lucky and get it right and a few posters are wrong.
                            The key for me is that they have kept him at forward instead of bouncing him around between D and F. He has really been able to settle into his role instead unlike having guys like Parenteau switching back and forth during games even.
                            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              Yeah. I get a sick feeling in my stomach every time it's brought up.
                              I hear what you are saying, and while Snuggerud's major "clank" is something that I still hear, it was one of the best, and entertaining hockey games I have been to. It was my first FF game, and I have only missed three since then - one on purpose (read the Detroit/Ford Field debacle...). Would I prefer they had won? obviously. But I don't feel there is anything to really get upset over. A classic game.

And I still miss the clear boards from the old Civic Center...

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeGopher View Post
                                I hear what you are saying, and while Snuggerud's major "clank" is something that I still hear, it was one of the best, and entertaining hockey games I have been to. It was my first FF game, and I have only missed three since then - one on purpose (read the Detroit/Ford Field debacle...). Would I prefer they had won? obviously. But I don't feel there is anything to really get upset over. A classic game.

And I still miss the clear boards from the old Civic Center...
                                Agree 100%. Helluva game. Just wish we would have come out on the other end

Comment

Working...
                                X