This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
    That's a pretty good assessment. Didn't Lawrence play on a line with Gerbe and Kessel before BU?
    Believe you're right

Eric also forgot smolinsky who was probably one of the more highly regarded guys when he signed
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2012-13 Season Thread -- Part II

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      Believe you're right

Eric also forgot smolinsky who was probably one of the more highly regarded guys when he signed
      Smolinsky was College Hockey's equivalent to Timmy Smith, former running back for the Washington Redskins. Timmy came out of nowhere to have a great Super Bowl many years ago, but did little else, even though the Redskins basically put all their stock in him. Smolinsky picked a great tournament to light it up alongside some other star recruits (Bourque?), and BU got a commitment from him right away.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Also, I beleive Yip was injured most of his final season in junior, which led to him not getting as noticed.

I saw McCarthy at the Chowder Cup one year before he was to come to BU (along with Bourque and McGuirk). I was not impressed. The fact that he turned into an NHLer is remarkable. Smart kid who knew what his role was at BU, played it well, and even added some scoring as his time progressed.
        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
          I saw McCarthy at the Chowder Cup one year before he was to come to BU (along with Bourque and McGuirk). I was not impressed. The fact that he turned into an NHLer is remarkable.

I saw McCarthy at BU, I was still not impressed. The fact that he turned into an NHLer is beyond remarkable. Seriously, how did McCarthy make it to the NHL and Higgins, Ewing, and MacArthur didn't?

Comment

ICH wasn't around for 01-02, but a can safely add that freshman class was the consensus #1 coming in too

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
              I saw McCarthy at BU, I was still not impressed. The fact that he turned into an NHLer is beyond remarkable. Seriously, how did McCarthy make it to the NHL and Higgins, Ewing, and MacArthur didn't?
              Sometimes you have to be the right guy at the right place at the right time. Who would have thought Joe Dipenta would have spent so much time in the NHL (and I believe he won the Cup with Anaheim)? Jesus he was terrible at BU (really nice kid though). Looking up his hockeydb page it is interesting, I didn't realize he also bolted BU early to go to the Q (3rd rounder that struggled at BU and went on to the NHL. Parker is so good at developing players!!)
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

97-98: Record: 28-8-2; Humiliating loss to 8th place team at home in best of 3 for HE tourney. 1st round exit in NCAA's.

98-99: Record: 14-20-3; No Drury, no chance.

99-00: Record: 25-10-7; All DiPietro. Puck handling skills even made offense look good. No HE championship. 2nd round exit NCAA's

00-01: Record: 14-20-3; No DiPeitro, no chance.

01-02: Record: 25-10-3 First round exit NCAA's. No HE championship.

02-03: Record: 25-14-3; beat harvard 1st rd, Lost in NCAA 2nd round to UNH. Was this the year we made HE final and lost (shutout)

03-04: Record: 12-17-9; Awful team.

04-05: Record: 23-14-4; No HE championship, first round NCAA loss.

05-06: Record: 26-10-4; Finally, signs of life. John Curry show brings first HE title to BU since '97, but shut out in NCAA revenge game.

06-07: Record: 20-10-9; No HE championship. First round NCAA exit.

07-08: Record: 19-16-4;

08-09: Record: 35-6-4; Uber talented team brings it all home fulfilling once every 15 year promise of title.

09-10: Record: 18-17-3; Big letdown considering remaining talent on team.

10-11: Record: 19-12-8;

11-12: Record: 23-15-1; Out of control off ice team once again goes packing in NCAA 1st round. No HE championship.

So what I'm seeing is one HE championship from 1998-2008, one since then, one FF appearance which they mercifully won, and a whole lotta first round exits. Many times they've been shut out in the deciding game also.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  97-98: Record: 28-8-2; Humiliating loss to 8th place team at home in best of 3 for HE tourney. 1st round exit in NCAA's.

98-99: Record: 14-20-3; No Drury, no chance.

99-00: Record: 25-10-7; All DiPietro. Puck handling skills even made offense look good. No HE championship. 2nd round exit NCAA's

00-01: Record: 14-20-3; No DiPeitro, no chance.

01-02: Record: 25-10-3 First round exit NCAA's. No HE championship.

02-03: Record: 25-14-3; beat harvard 1st rd, Lost in NCAA 2nd round to UNH. Was this the year we made HE final and lost (shutout)

03-04: Record: 12-17-9; Awful team.

04-05: Record: 23-14-4; No HE championship, first round NCAA loss.

05-06: Record: 26-10-4; Finally, signs of life. John Curry show brings first HE title to BU since '97, but shut out in NCAA revenge game.

06-07: Record: 20-10-9; No HE championship. First round NCAA exit.

07-08: Record: 19-16-4;

08-09: Record: 35-6-4; Uber talented team brings it all home fulfilling once every 15 year promise of title.

09-10: Record: 18-17-3; Big letdown considering remaining talent on team.

10-11: Record: 19-12-8;

11-12: Record: 23-15-1; Out of control off ice team once again goes packing in NCAA 1st round. No HE championship.

So what I'm seeing is one HE championship from 1998-2008, one since then, one FF appearance which they mercifully won, and a whole lotta first round exits. Many times they've been shut out in the deciding game also.

Anyone have BU's record vs teams seeded higher/lower than them in the NCAA tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                    Anyone have BU's record vs teams seeded higher/lower than them in the NCAA tournament?
                    Ha, I figured this out the other day. Fairly sure this is accurate but don't hold me to it.

BU as the underdog: 0-4
                    BU as the favorite: 7-4 (3-4 sans two thousand fluky nine)

1998 favorite L UNH
                    1999 N/A
                    2000 favorite W SCSU
                    2000 underdog L SLU
                    2001 N/A
                    2002 favorite L Maine
                    2003 favorite W Harvard
                    2003 underdog L UNH
                    2004 N/A
                    2005 underdog L Ndak
                    2006 favorite W UNO
                    2006 favorite L BC
                    2007 favorite L MSU
                    2008 N/A
                    2009 favorite W OSU
                    2009 favorite W UNH
                    2009 favorite W Vermont
                    2009 favorite W Miami
                    2010 N/A
                    2011 N/A
                    2012 underdog L Minnesota
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Those three wins vs SCSU, Harvard, and UNO don't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies either. Thank God for 2009.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        Those three wins vs SCSU, Harvard, and UNO don't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies either. Thank God for 2009.
                        You are slipping buddy

Where is the "leave it to a bc guy to come in and tell us who was favored and who was the underdog!"

Comment

Let's not forget the ultimate underdog win in 1997. One for the ages.

Of course they gagged up the NC game against a young Sioux team.

HOW HAVE THEY NOT POSTPONED TOMORROW'S GAME YET!!!??? Seriously, the forecast gets more dire by the hour. I expect the next update to include locust and a tornado.
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

Other hockey east games have already been postponed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              Other hockey east games have already been postponed.
                              Bu's winter homecoming crap is this weekend. There is supposed to be an outdoor rink up on marsh plaza

Comment

Could the idiots in charge quit the crap and postpone these games. Agganis doesn't have anything going on during the week the next two weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X