Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NESN not on DirecTV? - Potential cancellation of UNH's DC event tonight

Originally posted by Rhett View Post
    The UNH Alumni Association is having a watch event at Penn Quarter Sports Tavern in Washington, DC for Friday Night's game. Feel free to tell your DC friends. It's the first of 3 watches already scheduled this semester, including 2/22 vs. Vermont & 3/8 vs. Maine.

Directions: http://www.dcsportstavern.com/ordereze/Directions.aspx

Info also on the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/events/465891406780455/ (Page doesn't make it look like it's open to all, but it is. I'll mention that to someone later today.)

Please feel free to ask me any questions and forgive any cross-postings to other relevant threads.
    So, anyone know anything about DirecTV packages? Overnight, the bar sent us an email cancelling the event because they don't have NESN anymore because "Direct TV has recently changed its programming packages and no longer shows the NESN or the other 2 networks that are airing the game tomorrow in the DC market so we will not be able to show the hockey game tomorrow" and "spent much of this evening on the phone with Direct TV to see if there is somehow that we can show the game, i.e. Pay per View, buy a new sports package, etc., but unfortunately there isn't a way to show the game tomorrow". There's no info online that I can find about a dispute or any weeping/gnashing of teeth over losing a channel. We had 20+ alum/friend/family RSVPs plus some random college hockey fans since this is such a big game. Since they found out through so many channels, there's only so much we can do to keep people from showing up tonight anyways. Anyone know more about this? Who do I direct my anger at, DirecTV or the bar?
    BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
    CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
    2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
    2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Re: NESN not on DirecTV? - Potential cancellation of UNH's DC event tonight

Not sure that's true. I still get NESN in Georgetown, as far as I know. Granted, I just got home last night after a month away, but I'd be surprised if this isn't just a Penn Quarter Sports Tavern issue.

I will check my DirecTV when I get home around 2pm.

All kinds of ironies for me this week - watched Minnesota v. Notre Dame on NESN in my Minneapolis place Tuesday, and hoped to watch the UNH game at PQST tonight because I can see it from my office!!

Hope the NESN thing is just a PQST issue.
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Yeah, basically everyone is crying BS against PQST. They claimed to have also checked "2 other cable channels" picking up the game and don't get any of them. One must be FCS-Atlantic which I can't imagine not being on their sports package. It's clientele seems to be mostly college sports and ice hockey events, so I can't believe not having these channels aren't their lifeblood. We're starting to think we were bumped by another event and this was their excuse for the late cancel.

I just heard today they pulled a similar late cancellation on TCU recently. They also sent a later email today to pre-emptively cancel February's event and tell us they could still host in March. Yeah, thanks guys.

Comment

So, anyone know anything about DirecTV packages? Overnight, the bar sent us an email cancelling the event because they don't have NESN anymore because "Direct TV has recently changed its programming packages and no longer shows the NESN or the other 2 networks that are airing the game tomorrow in the DC market so we will not be able to show the hockey game tomorrow" and "spent much of this evening on the phone with Direct TV to see if there is somehow that we can show the game, i.e. Pay per View, buy a new sports package, etc., but unfortunately there isn't a way to show the game tomorrow". There's no info online that I can find about a dispute or any weeping/gnashing of teeth over losing a channel. We had 20+ alum/friend/family RSVPs plus some random college hockey fans since this is such a big game. Since they found out through so many channels, there's only so much we can do to keep people from showing up tonight anyways. Anyone know more about this? Who do I direct my anger at, DirecTV or the bar?
        I am in NESN's home market, but I can't imagine DirecTV would move them to a new package...what new package would they move them to? Out of market, NESN is in the Sports Pack, which I'd assume the bar already has. I'd call DirecTV and ask them to confirm what the bar told you.

Comment

I just heard today they pulled a similar late cancellation on TCU recently. They also sent a later email today to pre-emptively cancel February's event and tell us they could still host in March. Yeah, thanks guys.
          So...they're going to magically get NESN again in time for the Hockey East playoffs? Or they have coverage thanks to NBCSN? What if DirecTV moves them as well?

Comment

My guess is they have NBCSN for now. It's a hockey first bar, they'd be pretty screwed if they didn't have NBCSN next weekend.

I don't want to call DirecTV to learn about someone else's package. They already have claimed that they spent hours on the phone trying to change their package or order the game individually and there was no possible way. What am I going to do, call DirecTV and then call the bar up and say "hey liars, now you have to host our event which will have only 10-20% of the people because embarrassing cancellation notices already went out"?

I guess this should just serve as a general warning to the local college fans. I know Vermont, UMass, North Dakota, Northern Michigan and probably several others have hockey events there (not to mention all the other college hoops and football groups). BU did too until the 2010 Winter Olympics (screwed by an overbooked joint UVM/Canadian Embassy event, given outdoor covered seating when it was well below freezing), and Miami U. until the 2009 Frozen Four (booked 2 schools, nice thinking guys, smaller group got crowded out). I guess until you're the group screwed, you don't take as much notice of the pattern.

Comment

Confirmed. PQST full of crap. Watching NESN on DTV at my place right now.
              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                Confirmed. PQST full of crap. Watching NESN on DTV at my place right now.
                I'll send a nasty email to PQST later... That they would bump other schools around doesn't really surprise me.

When I've been there I haven't really sensed a care factor amongst the staff
                Last edited by Patman; 01-11-2013, 03:06 PM.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Thanks for the support guys.

Comment

My guess is they have NBCSN for now. It's a hockey first bar, they'd be pretty screwed if they didn't have NBCSN next weekend.

I don't want to call DirecTV to learn about someone else's package. They already have claimed that they spent hours on the phone trying to change their package or order the game individually and there was no possible way. What am I going to do, call DirecTV and then call the bar up and say "hey liars, now you have to host our event which will have only 10-20% of the people because embarrassing cancellation notices already went out"?

I guess this should just serve as a general warning to the local college fans. I know Vermont, UMass, North Dakota, Northern Michigan and probably several others have hockey events there (not to mention all the other college hoops and football groups). BU did too until the 2010 Winter Olympics (screwed by an overbooked joint UVM/Canadian Embassy event, given outdoor covered seating when it was well below freezing), and Miami U. until the 2009 Frozen Four (booked 2 schools, nice thinking guys, smaller group got crowded out). I guess until you're the group screwed, you don't take as much notice of the pattern.
                    This doesn't surprise me with PQST. I just can't decide which school is overbooked with UNH this weekend. Wisconsin is playing Mankato, which is on tv. Notre Dame is playing Michigan State, also on tv, and the Gophers are playing UAA, which is on tv. Good thing I sprung for the sports pack at my house, otherwise this would really suck. GO CATS!
                    UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
                      This doesn't surprise me with PQST. I just can't decide which school is overbooked with UNH this weekend. Wisconsin is playing Mankato, which is on tv. Notre Dame is playing Michigan State, also on tv, and the Gophers are playing UAA, which is on tv. Good thing I sprung for the sports pack at my house, otherwise this would really suck. GO CATS!
                      I don't suppose there is a way for some of the alumni groups of various hockey schools to band together? UML doesn't have an alum group here but I sense this is a general issue. Some form of useful cross-post system and/or doing a more general arrangement w a bar... Not all of them are tremendously busy Friday nights from 7-10.

I can think of at least a couple off hand including the bar I frequent

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
                        North Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          I don't suppose there is a way for some of the alumni groups of various hockey schools to band together? UML doesn't have an alum group here but I sense this is a general issue. Some form of useful cross-post system and/or doing a more general arrangement w a bar... Not all of them are tremendously busy Friday nights from 7-10.

I can think of at least a couple off hand including the bar I frequent
                          That's something I'd like to see. A couple of the regulars I know from UNH watches are actually fans of other Hockey East teams that just like the excuse to watch hockey. We seem to get random fans of other teams showing up by themselves, half the time we have no idea how they found out, they pop in for a game, then we never see them again. There's a lot of college hockey fans in DC, it would be nice to know what was up. At the worst, we should always know who has watches where.

In related news, someone is en route to PQST to see what's actually going on there tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            North Dakota.
                            If it's a college hockey crowd, that's the best guess, especially with no one picking up the UVM-UML game for TV.

Comment

That's something I'd like to see. A couple of the regulars I know from UNH watches are actually fans of other Hockey East teams that just like the excuse to watch hockey. We seem to get random fans of other teams showing up by themselves, half the time we have no idea how they found out, they pop in for a game, then we never see them again. There's a lot of college hockey fans in DC, it would be nice to know what was up. At the worst, we should always know who has watches where.

In related news, someone is en route to PQST to see what's actually going on there tonight.
                              Yea, its not something I'd want to purposefully dedicate myself to but there are a whole lot of different alumni orgs around and even if that means UMN and UM and up dominating the audio as long as we can split up the teams.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Working...
                              X