X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part III: There Will Be Math Involved

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    True, but it isn't as if a lot of people attend their hockey games anyway, and fewer probably go to both.
    We have found that many of the people who come to Baker rink are fromt he visiting schools (much like yesterday). The others are some Princeton students (not all that many usually) and a great number of people who attended neither school playing. Many of the folks are just from the area and have kids who play hockey and this is their chance to bring them toa game whee they can see some fast paced hockey up close. Yesterday was supposedly a sello ut-the box office had a big sign that it was standing room only. Yet there were emplty seats all over the place. Fairly common there. The only times we find the rink full are for RPI, Cornell, and Harvard.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      I haven't had much of a problem with NJ drivers, actually.
      When we are driving up through the Adirondacks people actually wave you in front of them. Down here on the Jersey shore, they also wave-but they do it with one finger.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        When we are driving up through the Adirondacks people actually wave you in front of them. Down here on the Jersey shore, they also wave-but they do it with one finger.
        Maybe it's just me, but you give the guy room to do what he needs to do, and they don't give you any problems. The moron I had to deal with on I-380 would drive at my speed in my blind spot at about the speed limit, when he passes me and goes to pass someone else, he drops to about 10-15 MPH BELOW the speed limit and takes forever to pass, then when I pass both he's right back to my blind spot, and this is all with zero visibility due to heavy fog.

Like I said, they don't know how to drive. And if they do, they know how to be idiots.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but you give the guy room to do what he needs to do, and they don't give you any problems. The moron I had to deal with on I-380 would drive at my speed in my blind spot at about the speed limit, when he passes me and goes to pass someone else, he drops to about 10-15 MPH BELOW the speed limit and takes forever to pass, then when I pass both he's right back to my blind spot, and this is all with zero visibility due to heavy fog.

Like I said, they don't know how to drive. And if they do, they know how to be idiots.
          We see it so often down here. You are 100% correct-either they do not know how to drive or they are just selfish and do not care about anyone else on the road.

Comment

We see it so often down here. You are 100% correct-either they do not know how to drive or they are just selfish and do not care about anyone else on the road.
            They commonly turn left from the right lane or right from the left lane, too. Probably the latter. Either way, it's annoying.

Comment

They commonly turn left from the right lane or right from the left lane, too. Probably the latter. Either way, it's annoying.
              On the way home last night travelling on Interstate 295 South-we saw a youn glady driving while doing her nails. She was of course on the phone at the same time. But at least she was staying in lane pretty well.

Comment

Got back in one piece, and here are my thoughts:

1. Despite how awful Kotyra and Dumas(s) were, at the end of the day, we had a clear chance to tie it up, and we couldn't do it. I know we hear so much from Coach Appert about how refereeing is not the reason we lose games, and if he said it tonight, he is spot on. Sure, there was a slash on the first PU goal, interference on the second, not to mention the whistle happy Dumas(s), but none of that mattered in the third.
                2. I'm starting to feel bad for Brock Higgs. That kid just can't buy a goal this year. He's a really talented player, and I'm not just saying this because they can drive 100 miles to kick my ***. He was the one with the break in the third. Of course, now that I say this, he'll probably get a hat trick next week...
                3. Pennsylvanians can't drive. Remind me next time I go to Princeton (if ever) to take 17 around.
                Kudos for making making the trip FD...nice work. I can't disagree with much....I'm frustrated.... for the team more than anything right now. Tim said it several times during his broadcast last night, you can't play any better in the neutral or D zone than RPI did last night in 2nd and 3rd . We dominated. Appert said it -- the onus falls on the team to realize that P was gonna come out and punch us in the mouth to start the game, following the loss to U. Plain as day...no mystery there. A coach can only say it so many times. The TEAM has to go out and match their level of play, as Seth said. Coaches can't do it, can't wear a sweater.

We are simply the best 1 win team in the league...and I do not say that sarcastically. We can beat anybody when we play like we did this weekend...but reality is, we are a one win team. Wish I had the magic key to unlock the scoring.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                  Kudos for making making the trip FD...nice work. I can't disagree with much....I'm frustrated.... for the team more than anything right now. Tim said it several times during his broadcast last night, you can't play any better in the neutral or D zone than RPI did last night in 2nd and 3rd . We dominated. Appert said it -- the onus falls on the team to realize that P was gonna come out and punch us in the mouth to start the game, following the loss to U. Plain as day...no mystery there. A coach can only say it so many times. The TEAM has to go out and match their level of play, as Seth said. Coaches can't do it, can't wear a sweater.

We are simply the best 1 win team in the league...and I do not say that sarcastically. We can beat anybody when we play like we did this weekend...but reality is, we are a one win team. Wish I had the magic key to unlock the scoring.
                  Ditto-everything in that post is just spot on and exactly what we saw last night. Even in the horrible first period-it is not like we were not competitive the entire time. In all the years watching down here at baker-we played the best 40 minutes after the first period I have seen. Princeton got 2 legitimate shots on goal in the second period and neither was anything more than flipping it on net blindly just to take a line change. I counted zero shots in the third (until of course the disastrous pulling of the goaltender). Honestly-no RPI player had a horrible night. Some lapses early-but from then on we played a perfect game. I mentioned on next weeks game thread-we are the best 1-6-3 ECAC team i have ever seen. If the scoring went hand in hand with the level of play-this should have beena 4 or 5-2 victory. Why we do not bury pucks is just a mystery to me.

Comment

We did put one other one in about 1/2 second after the period ended and that was indeed the correct call. No complaints.
                    Is there replay of this somewhere? I was sitting in the upper level behind the goal. If I am correct the goal lights, green ones not red, are triggered by the clock some how and not the goal judge. If this is the case from where I was sitting it appeared the puck crossed the line just before the light came on. I would love to see a replay of it but do not know where to look.

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
                      Is there replay of this somewhere? I was sitting in the upper level behind the goal. If I am correct the goal lights, green ones not red, are triggered by the clock some how and not the goal judge. If this is the case from where I was sitting it appeared the puck crossed the line just before the light came on. I would love to see a replay of it but do not know where to look.
                      We were in section 125 near the goal. The deflection went in for sure-it was lovely. But the horn and green light were on just before. I believe(but cannot swear) that there is some some of switch that prevents the red light from coming on once the green gets lit. That was indeed what happened. Much as I hated to admit-they got that one right. What they got wrong was earlier in the period-as Dumas(pretty sure) blew his whistle to stop play but the puck had crossed the line just before. SA was visibly upset on the bench-but no goal review was made. i suppose that is one ref decision that is not subject to replay but would bet plenty that if they did-and listened for the whistle-it was after the puck was completely across the goal. My right eye is not the best and will have surgery in 2 weeks-but everyone around us including PU fans, 2 NHL people from Montreal and Toronto, and others called it a goal and were surprised not review was done. Who knew that goal would have made such a huge difference?

Comment

We were in section 125 near the goal. The deflection went in for sure-it was lovely. But the horn and green light were on just before. I believe(but cannot swear) that there is some some of switch that prevents the red light from coming on once the green gets lit. That was indeed what happened. Much as I hated to admit-they got that one right. What they got wrong was earlier in the period-as Dumas(pretty sure) blew his whistle to stop play but the puck had crossed the line just before. SA was visibly upset on the bench-but no goal review was made. i suppose that is one ref decision that is not subject to replay but would bet plenty that if they did-and listened for the whistle-it was after the puck was completely across the goal. My right eye is not the best and will have surgery in 2 weeks-but everyone around us including PU fans, 2 NHL people from Montreal and Toronto, and others called it a goal and were surprised not review was done. Who knew that goal would have made such a huge difference?
                        One thing to remember though, and this is also true in the NHL: It is not the blowing of the whistle, but the INTENT to blow the whistle that stops play. Intent can't be reviewed. Add onto this that the refs don't keep the whistle in their mouths like you'd see in basketball, so it's one of those things that happens. That wasn't the only quick whistle that Dumas(s) let out that night, though...

As for the buzzer non-beater, that should be an automatic review in all cases, even the two Union games where we saw benefit (although on the first we didn't have the capability; I can't remember if we had it on the second). However, one thing that Princeton and Colgate REALLY need to do, because I believe they're the only two rinks in the league that don't do this, is upgrade their game clock to show tenths of a second in the final minute. This is exactly why it's mandated in the NHL, and why most schools have this feature available. I will ask a question, though, because I honestly don't know the answer: Does the puck have to completely cross the line before the buzzer, or does the goal stand if the puck crosses the line after the buzzer and no one or nothing touches the puck, similar to a released shot before the buzzer in basketball?

Comment

Does the puck have to completely cross the line before the buzzer, or does the goal stand if the puck crosses the line after the buzzer and no one or nothing touches the puck, similar to a released shot before the buzzer in basketball?
                          The NHL rule is the puck must cross the line, not released without further touch. I think the NCAA rule is the same.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

With all this talk about what ref calls what and "screws" us, I wonder if our friend in the league office Mr. Stewart has this song played when he enters the office every morning.

Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

One thing to remember though, and this is also true in the NHL: It is not the blowing of the whistle, but the INTENT to blow the whistle that stops play. Intent can't be reviewed. Add onto this that the refs don't keep the whistle in their mouths like you'd see in basketball, so it's one of those things that happens. That wasn't the only quick whistle that Dumas(s) let out that night, though...

As for the buzzer non-beater, that should be an automatic review in all cases, even the two Union games where we saw benefit (although on the first we didn't have the capability; I can't remember if we had it on the second). However, one thing that Princeton and Colgate REALLY need to do, because I believe they're the only two rinks in the league that don't do this, is upgrade their game clock to show tenths of a second in the final minute. This is exactly why it's mandated in the NHL, and why most schools have this feature available. I will ask a question, though, because I honestly don't know the answer: Does the puck have to completely cross the line before the buzzer, or does the goal stand if the puck crosses the line after the buzzer and no one or nothing touches the puck, similar to a released shot before the buzzer in basketball?
                              Was completely unaware of that bit about intent to blow the whistle. I had just assumed you had to hear the whistle for it to be no goal. That would explain it. Still think that one should have at least been reviewed though. And you are right-Dumas was very quick on the whistle-especially in the Princeton zone while we had the puck. There was matching minors called while we were cycling in the Princeton end in the second period-we had already put two shots on goal during that episode and were in complete control of the puck near the blue line setting up again to either shoot or pass when the whistle blew(but not sure if that was Dumas or Kotyra as the whistle came from outside the zone). Not saying this was wrong-just that there were some reasons that although we were playing a great period and totally in control-things were not going our way.

Edit: But it sure seems from the last stretch of games-we are getting close!

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                                With all this talk about what ref calls what and "screws" us, I wonder if our friend in the league office Mr. Stewart has this song played when he enters the office every morning.

Love it!
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X