X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part III: There Will Be Math Involved

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I know we typically get refs that live in Western NY for the purposes of travel ease, but perhaps we should look at some of the non-RPI games they have done. Does the same thing happen? Are the penalties legitimate? Even if RPI gets a call at a crucial moment, if it's deserved, I'll freely admit it. I might be a little upset that our player decided to take such a stupid penalty at an inopportune time, but my frustration will not lie with the dude in black and white.

Plus, if you look at the roster of referees, as much as we complain, is there much better choice? On any given league night, you need 24 officials for league contests (12 refs, 12 linesmen, of course assuming everyone's playing a league game). Add to this that a number of referees are hired in multiple leagues, as you have a several of the NE ones doing HEA games, some maybe Atlantic, and I've seen several ECAC referees on the AHL roster. I think this is why Stewie is saying to lace up in August and audition.
    All of course true. My experience with Noeth and Belanger were in the days of only one ref on the ice. Now we have to deal with two separate personalities and philosophies out there. It would be nice to see them just be consistent-both calling the game the same way throughout the 60 minutes. i do not expect perfection-they are entitled to mistakes and bad calls or even missing some of what transpires on the ice. But if we are all talking about it-then we are all noticing something. Even our WRPI announcers-who are notoriously unbiased-have been forced to make some comments. The Bailen penalty I did not persoanlly see and cannot give an opinion-but everyone who did see it and described what they saw made it very clear that it should have been a non call. Does that affect the game?-surely. Could it affect an entire season? I surely hope not (and really doubt it). Just hope we (and all other teams) get a fair shake as best as can be provided.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Good for WaP. Paul Stewart just proves his arrogance by his flippant comment about tryouts in August. I like Steve Hagwell but he has his head buried in the sand and let's Stewart get away with murder. Stewart's comment to Jason Klump about Coach Appert were grounds for dismissal. You cannot have the head of officiating show his bias against a team and Coach. BTW- why is Paul Stewart consulting in the KHL, when his officiating staff is a laughing stock. Coach Appert is the only one, Coach Allain crawled up Chip McDonald backside a couple of weeks ago. We pay good $$$$ to attend these games and should expect some professionalism from Stewart. We pay his salary and he treats us with contempt. Shame on you Paul. I don't mind the refs getting it wrong but we now see on a consistent basis offsides and icing calls being blown. I applaud Tom, Gary and Ed for speaking the truth about this issue. Power to the people.
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

I'm having trouble with my edit function. FDude can you fix my post when I have misspellings. Thank you.
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

The TU did another 'Seen' photo collection from the RPI vs. Union game at the TUC last Saturday:
          http://www.timesunion.com/seen-sport...nter-55777.php

For those interested, I'm in photo 12 (on the left).
          Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            Which goes great with the 3rd verse - "Um frauliein un gits me un uder bier..."
            What language is that?
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
              I'm having trouble with my edit function. FDude can you fix my post when I have misspellings. Thank you.
              Do I look like a walking dictionary to you?!

Comment

Do I look like a walking dictionary to you?!
                RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part IV: There Will Be Spelling Involved

Boy, would I be in bad shape.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  All of course true. My experience with Noeth and Belanger were in the days of only one ref on the ice. Now we have to deal with two separate personalities and philosophies out there. It would be nice to see them just be consistent-both calling the game the same way throughout the 60 minutes. i do not expect perfection-they are entitled to mistakes and bad calls or even missing some of what transpires on the ice. But if we are all talking about it-then we are all noticing something. Even our WRPI announcers-who are notoriously unbiased-have been forced to make some comments. The Bailen penalty I did not persoanlly see and cannot give an opinion-but everyone who did see it and described what they saw made it very clear that it should have been a non call. Does that affect the game?-surely. Could it affect an entire season? I surely hope not (and really doubt it). Just hope we (and all other teams) get a fair shake as best as can be provided.
                  It was a long time ago, so I am not positive, but besides for one one ref, wasn't there only one linesman back than also?
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    It was a long time ago, so I am not positive, but besides for one one ref, wasn't there only one linesman back than also?
                    It was either 1 ref + 2 linesmen, or 2 refs + 1 linesman (which is what they used in the 85 championship). For men, you must have 2+2. With women, you may still have 2+1.

Comment

It was either 1 ref + 2 linesmen, or 2 refs + 1 linesman (which is what they used in the 85 championship). For men, you must have 2+2. With women, you may still have 2+1.
                      I was referring to even earlier than 1985. I think that there were only two mice, although they may both have been called refs.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        I was referring to even earlier than 1985. I think that there were only two mice, although they may both have been called refs.
                        Going back a long time i still remember 2 linesmen and one ref. They did have a period of time where there was one ref, one assistant ref, and one linesman. You have to go back much further to have the one ref one linesman era. In my view, the two ref system can work but they both have to be on the same page. There is also no doubt that certain pairs work better together and do a much better job of both watching the goal line while the other backs up the play from behind the blue line.
                        Last edited by DrDemento; 01-31-2013, 09:40 AM.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

...we now see on a consistent basis offsides and icing calls being blown. I applaud Tom, Gary and Ed for speaking the truth about this issue. Power to the people.
                          Totally agree with this -- by far the most frustrating part of ECAC officiating across the board. Their basic inability to correctly/promptly call off-sides has left me apoplectic at times... and I 'm saying for all teams, not RPI. And these aren't close calls - these are blatant two-striders I'm referring to. SO FRUSTRATING !
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                            Totally agree with this -- by far the most frustrating part of ECAC officiating across the board. Their basic inability to correctly/promptly call off-sides has left me apoplectic at times... and I 'm saying for all teams, not RPI. And these aren't close calls - these are blatant two-striders I'm referring to. SO FRUSTRATING !
                            Maybe it's just me, but the offsides calls haven't been TOO bad, especially after going back to look at the video. One thing that the linesmen have had difficulty with, though, are icing calls, especially with the hybrid system recently being put into place. From the perspective of being "in the stands" (or camera 1), it's fairly obvious, but I can understand the difficulties at ice level. I'd say they maybe miss no more than 5% of the icing/offsides. Obviously as engineers, 5% inconsistency means the bridge falls down, so I can understand frustration.

Comment

I know this idea is really old-fashioned, but i guess it fits me because of that.

In early days of personal computer use, I'd type stuff in my word processor first, use spell check there, then copy into the e-mail or the website text box afterwards.....
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                I know this idea is really old-fashioned, but i guess it fits me because of that.

In early days of personal computer use, I'd type stuff in my word processor first, use spell check there, then copy into the e-mail or the website text box afterwards.....
                                Eye halve a spelling chequer!

Comment

Working...
                                X