X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part III: There Will Be Math Involved

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Patch removed an hour ago. The effect of the cataract removal and lens replacement is almost immediate. Went from legally blind (20/200) in the eye and corrected with glases to 20/100 to an immediate 20/30 without glasses and doc says that will get far better n the next week. The hooker in all of this is the retina surgery. Still have to protect the eye for now since the retina takes some time for the 'welding' of the two detached areas. But as Jenny was driving us home-i saw things around me that I have been missing for years-I can read almost all the signs and the colors are so vivid that it is mind boggling. Now the process is to keep protecting the area and frequent drops for inflammation and to avoid infection. Eye doc is suggesting that we think about the other eye-it is not urgent but the contrast between the vision now is so dramatic that it might just be prudent to do this again in a month or so for the other side.

Now back to the important stuff-anyone know how we stand health wise after the Union game? it seems to be we are at almost full strenght minus one major injury that was probably season ending.
    Sounds great, take care of that eye. After all, what good is Cherry and White if you can't see it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Did anyone else notice that O'Grady didn't play in most of the third period on Saturday and I don't think he was there during the hand shakes. Hope he isn't hurt again, because I think he has been strong in the penalty kill and the 14, 27, 12 line could explode at any time.

Comment

I was prepared to ask for a bit more than that tonight.
        Think of that intraocular pressure Doc! All the best for a rapid recovery.

Comment

Much to catch up on... Doc, hope you see your way through to a quick recovery (it's a cold, rainy night here, enjoy the hot choc and marshmallows)!

Very neat story about the BRO giving the puck to the young fan. What's that old quotation attributed to Lincoln??? Ah yes, 'No man stand so tall as when he stoops to help a child.' Talk about winning hearts and minds!

As big as our 2000th game will be, I'm looking forward to our 1000th win... may it occur soon.

Hope O'Grady can shake off injuries and finish his senior season with a bang.

This weekend's slate of games is big... Take in Red Cloud's observation in latest WaP: we've had the hardest schedule in ECAC to date (per KRACH)... we've been playing some very solid hockey over the last several weeks... building consistency... our remaining RS schedule holds some opportunities... time to keep up our play and pick up some wins/points. See you at the Harvard game on Friday.

BTW... according to KRACH, Union has second lowest strength of schedule rating among teams ranked in the top 20.
          Last edited by fr joe; 01-29-2013, 09:26 PM.
          Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            This hasn't be brought up recently, but only 13 more victories until RPI reaches 1000. Not likely to happen this season, but I can still hope. Also only 17 more games until we reach 2000. With 10 regular season games remaining, if we play in the first round of the ECAC playoffs and then get to AC with at least one loss, we will reach that this year. (We can also make it several ways if we make the NCAA tourney. In the unlikely event that we get a bye in the ECAC tourney and reach both the ECAC and NCAA finals with no loss in the ECAC tourney, we will make it to 2000 in the NCAA championship game. )

Our current record is 987-877-119 in 1983 games for a .528 percentage. The modern era stats are 962-804-113 in 1879 games for a .542.

Another question is why is a three-digit decimal representation called a percentage?
            That should be "NCAA semifinal game". (And we could lose either the ECAC semis or finals or both, although it would hurt our chances for making the NCA tourney.)
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

That should be "NCAA semifinal game". (And we could lose either the ECAC semis or finals or both, although it would hurt our chances for making the NCA tourney.)
              Actually, if we play the regular season out, get a first round bye, and then get swept in the quarters, we cannot possibly make it to 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Actually, if we play the regular season out, get a first round bye, and then get swept in the quarters, we cannot possibly make it to 2000.
                Correct.

The best thing would be if we could play our 2000th game and get our 1000th victory in the NCAA finals. We would thus need to be at 1996 and 996 at the end of the ECAC tourney. With 1983 games under our belt and 10 to go in the regular season, we would have to play exactly three games in the ECAC tourney which would have to be going 1-2 in either the first or second round. With 987 wins to date, we would have to get eight in the regular season. So we would have to go 8-2, 8-1-1, or 8-0-2 in the final ten games. I don't know if that coupled with 1-2 in the ECAC tourney would get us an at-large NCAA bid. We are 8-11-5 currently, so the best we could be is 17-13-7.

There was math involved.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Correct.

The best thing would be if we could play our 2000th game and get our 1000th victory in the NCAA finals. We would thus need to be at 1996 and 996 at the end of the ECAC tourney. With 1983 games under our belt and 10 to go in the regular season, we would have to play exactly three games in the ECAC tourney which would have to be going 1-2 in either the first or second round. With 987 wins to date, we would have to get eight in the regular season. So we would have to go 8-2, 8-1-1, or 8-0-2 in the final ten games. I don't know if that coupled with 1-2 in the ECAC tourney would get us an at-large NCAA bid. We are 8-11-5 currently, so the best we could be is 17-13-7.

There was math involved.
                  I am beginning to feel sorry that i asked that question about hitting 1000 and 2000 together All of this is making me a bit dizzy. Next question-is ther any site that lists the number of total victories for every DI NCAA program? I used to be able to find that information on USCHO but it does not seem to be there any more. Just wanted to know how many schoola are over the 1000 win mark. I would suspect in the ECAC it is Clarkson, Harvard, Yale for sure and ot west a whole lot of other schools.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I am beginning to feel sorry that i asked that question about hitting 1000 and 2000 together All of this is making me a bit dizzy. Next question-is ther any site that lists the number of total victories for every DI NCAA program? I used to be able to find that information on USCHO but it does not seem to be there any more. Just wanted to know how many schoola are over the 1000 win mark. I would suspect in the ECAC it is Clarkson, Harvard, Yale for sure and ot west a whole lot of other schools.
                    We were all warned that there would be Math in this thread.
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

USCHO has that information but not all in one place. You have to go to each school's History page individually.

Edit: In the ECAC, Clarkson, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, SLU, and Yale are all there already. (SLU just made it recently as they are at 1003.)
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-30-2013, 07:52 AM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

USCHO has that information but not all in one place. You have to go to each school's History page individually.

Edit: In the ECAC, Clarkson, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, SLU, and Yale are all there already. (SLU just made it recently as they are at 1003.)
                        Thanks RB. I wasn't sure about SLU and forgot about Cornell and Dartmouth when I posted before. I had imagined that the NCAA would have this listed somewhere on their site but searched and found nothing.

Comment

WaP article: http://www.withoutapeer.com/2013/01/...-gets-old.html

Insert MTU-created second verse of "Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier".

Comment

Which goes great with the 3rd verse - "Um frauliein un gits me un uder bier..."
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Normally agree with most of WaP but this time I feel much more strongly about the Kotyra effect. it is not only a matter of winning percentage. We are as pointed out considerably lower with Kotyra on the ice-but even the games we win are a struggle. We have had to overcome some calls that defy description. It is also not just a matter of total penalties called and minutes given. Often we take an incredible number of penalties early in a game and end up defending numerous power plays (some 5 on 3) and then on the stat sheet it looks sort of even as he calls a couple of penalties on an opponent at the 20:00 mark of the third period and the game ends. He has made my top 3 list of poorest officials for RPI games (Noeth and Bereron are up there with him). I would like to think that he is just inadequate-and that it is not intentionally done-but i am no longer so sure.

Comment

Normally agree with most of WaP but this time I feel much more strongly about the Kotyra effect. it is not only a matter of winning percentage. We are as pointed out considerably lower with Kotyra on the ice-but even the games we win are a struggle. We have had to overcome some calls that defy description. It is also not just a matter of total penalties called and minutes given. Often we take an incredible number of penalties early in a game and end up defending numerous power plays (some 5 on 3) and then on the stat sheet it looks sort of even as he calls a couple of penalties on an opponent at the 20:00 mark of the third period and the game ends. He has made my top 3 list of poorest officials for RPI games (Noeth and Bereron are up there with him). I would like to think that he is just inadequate-and that it is not intentionally done-but i am no longer so sure.
                                I know we typically get refs that live in Western NY for the purposes of travel ease, but perhaps we should look at some of the non-RPI games they have done. Does the same thing happen? Are the penalties legitimate? Even if RPI gets a call at a crucial moment, if it's deserved, I'll freely admit it. I might be a little upset that our player decided to take such a stupid penalty at an inopportune time, but my frustration will not lie with the dude in black and white.

Plus, if you look at the roster of referees, as much as we complain, is there much better choice? On any given league night, you need 24 officials for league contests (12 refs, 12 linesmen, of course assuming everyone's playing a league game). Add to this that a number of referees are hired in multiple leagues, as you have a several of the NE ones doing HEA games, some maybe Atlantic, and I've seen several ECAC referees on the AHL roster. I think this is why Stewie is saying to lace up in August and audition.

Comment

Working...
                                X