X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part III: There Will Be Math Involved

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Not surprisingly, Kotyra Screwjob DCXXIV put us well out of TUC contention, down to .4944. Not like we were going to make the tournament without an autobid, anyway.
    Anyone looking simply at the boxscore would assume the game was called even-just looking at number of penalties and minutes. But being put down a man very early (which probably we deserved) and put down a man very late(probably not deserved) is not obvious when you look at the overall stats of the game. BTW if you recall we received the only 2 penalties during play in the first period down here at Baker Rink against Princeton and were down 2-0 before we were able to play the best 40 minutes I have seen in a long time. And who were the officials that afternoon?
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Senna View Post
      Because of my son's high school hockey game, I missed the 1st period, but heard that Groesnick kept Union in the game. Thought it was a very good game and fantastic to see the stands packed like that. Great for hockey and both teams. The goal by McGowan was superb - just hard work and hustle and paid off. Great to see that we outshot them basically by 2-1. Also thought the interference call was horrible as the player still basically had the puck. To their credit, Union took advantage and scored on another hard work play. Thought we were going to tie it up with 10 seconds left. End of the day we still only scored 2. I think it's Dr D and I have been posting for 2 years + that we need 3-4 a game or more to it us in any position to win. We cannot expect to win 2 goal games. We get these calls against us at the most perfectly I opportune times, and they impact the outcome because they can. I'm not being negative here - if we had 1 more or even better 2, this call doesn't matter and we still control our destiny. We do have the players to score. Let's focus on that and to otherwise keep playing like we have and we can take anyone out, and this game and many others aren't even close.
      Were the stands really packed? The boxscore on USCHO says that the attendence was 5,989.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Were the stands really packed? The boxscore on USCHO says that the attendence was 5,989.
        The lower bowl was fairly full. The upper bowl, however, was empty save for the pep bands. They even hid all of the empty seats with drop-down curtains.
        RPI Pep Band
        GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
        🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
        2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
        2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          2x as many as I recall for the ECACs or the NCAA East Regionals when held there.

Comment

May have missed it on here some where yesterday or earlier in week. Does anyone know if Burghs was not in line up last night because of league suspension for hit during Cornell game? Was wondering if may be they went back and looked at it, as they were supposed to the hit on Haggerty, and determined to suspend Burghs. I have not heard anything just wondering if anyone else did.

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
              May have missed it on here some where yesterday or earlier in week. Does anyone know if Burghs was not in line up last night because of league suspension for hit during Cornell game? Was wondering if may be they went back and looked at it, as they were supposed to the hit on Haggerty, and determined to suspend Burghs. I have not heard anything just wondering if anyone else did.
              I asked that question, and I think that the only answer I got was someone had to sit down so that Higgs could play. I have not seen anything stating that he got a league suspension.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                Totally agree of course. I am very proud of this group of boys. We have an incredible bunch right now and they deserve to be winners. Just very difficult to take when week in and week out we get calls that go against us (or non calls as the case may be). In the past we have some teams that could overcome one or two bad situations brought upon us per game simply because we could score at will(in the 80's and 90's). And the game back then was a more high scoring game. In today's game you just cannot afford to have anything go against you since almost every game is a one goal game. I take nothing away from Union-for the past several years including this year , they have been a top notch team. But last night, at worst we played them even (and the game should have gone to an OT) or perhaps even had the better of the play. Hopefully we just put this behind us all-and show the league over the next 10 games that we are not going to allow one bad call per game to stop us. I fully expect to see this team in AC this year-and if so-who knows if that will be the end of the season or we find a way to go on further. Go Red!!
                Trust me that I have a real bad taste in my mouth right now...but also understand that we could and would have it this away with 1-2 more goals. It's interesting that we started this year and I figured that defense would be our challenge. We continue to do reasonably well defensively. We just need more goals. I'll still say that I love the team and kids we have and wouldn't want to play us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  I was there with the family for the Devils game which was at 2pm and they announced the attendance to be 10,000+. Our seats were in the upper level and the lower bowl had bare spots all over it. For our game it was just about full except in the corners. The curtains on the top are nothing new. You will see them down for most of the Sienna basketball games as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
                    I was there with the family for the Devils game which was at 2pm and they announced the attendance to be 10,000+. Our seats were in the upper level and the lower bowl had bare spots all over it. For our game it was just about full except in the corners. The curtains on the top are nothing new. You will see them down for most of the Sienna basketball games as well.
                    Yes, some limited bare spots in the corners, but relative to the ECACs, the crowd was large. There really wasnt that much empty space in the lower bowl.

Comment

Cold hurt walk up sales and koytra is a joke
                      I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

From the NCAA rule book posted on the ECAC website:

"Rule 59 - Interference
                        59.1 Interference - A player shall not interfere with or impede the progress of
                        an opponent who is not in possession of the puck, deliberately knock a stick
                        out of an opponent’s hand, prevent a player who has dropped the stick, or
                        any other piece of equipment, from regaining possession of it or knock or
                        shoot any abandoned or broken stick or illegal puck or other debris toward
                        an opposing puck carrier in a manner that could cause the player to be
                        distracted.
                        Waving of arms in front of a goalkeeper by an opponent is interference.
                        PENALTY—Minor.
                        Note: The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall
                        be considered the player in possession
                        . In interpreting this rule, a referee
                        should make sure which of the players is the one creating the interference
                        — often it is the action and movement of the attacking player that causes the
                        interference since the defending players are entitled to stand their ground
                        or shadow the attacking players. Players of the team in possession shall not
                        be allowed to run interference for the puck carrier."

I guess the question becomes, who touched the puck last? - as they were considered to be in possession of the puck. Therefore, if Union player had the puck last he was considered in possession and would have been fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by Section 22 View Post
                          From the NCAA rule book posted on the ECAC website:

"Rule 59 - Interference
                          59.1 Interference - A player shall not interfere with or impede the progress of
                          an opponent who is not in possession of the puck, deliberately knock a stick
                          out of an opponent’s hand, prevent a player who has dropped the stick, or
                          any other piece of equipment, from regaining possession of it or knock or
                          shoot any abandoned or broken stick or illegal puck or other debris toward
                          an opposing puck carrier in a manner that could cause the player to be
                          distracted.
                          Waving of arms in front of a goalkeeper by an opponent is interference.
                          PENALTY—Minor.
                          Note: The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall
                          be considered the player in possession
                          . In interpreting this rule, a referee
                          should make sure which of the players is the one creating the interference
                          — often it is the action and movement of the attacking player that causes the
                          interference since the defending players are entitled to stand their ground
                          or shadow the attacking players. Players of the team in possession shall not
                          be allowed to run interference for the puck carrier."

I guess the question becomes, who touched the puck last? - as they were considered to be in possession of the puck. Therefore, if Union player had the puck last he was considered in possession and would have been fair game.
                          Yes, the rule is there. And how many times during the game do the referees ignore interference? They call it when they want to. Interference at the end of the game should only happen when a team is denied an opportunity to score a goal. If it is not around the net, it should be let go. That is not my opinion, it is the result of watching hockey for over 50 years. These officials just like to be the center of attention.
                          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                          Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                            Yes, the rule is there. And how many times during the game do the referees ignore interference? They call it when they want to. Interference at the end of the game should only happen when a team is denied an opportunity to score a goal. If it is not around the net, it should be let go. That is not my opinion, it is the result of watching hockey for over 50 years. These officials just like to be the center of attention.
                            True-all you can ask for is consistency. If something is let go for 58 minutes-then you should not call it in the last 2 minutes. We all know we need to score more than 2 goals in most games since once we give up 3 we most often lose. But some nights are worse than others as we also have to deal with some bad officiating. I am sure this is not unique-other team's fans complain as loudly. But that certainly does not make us feel better.
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              True-all you can ask for is consistency. If something is let go for 58 minutes-then you should not call it in the last 2 minutes. We all know we need to score more than 2 goals in most games since once we give up 3 we most often lose. But some nights are worse than others as we also have to deal with some bad officiating. I am sure this is not unique-other team's fans complain as loudly. But that certainly does not make us feel better.
                              Absoltutely agree with this and other similar comments here. Any self-respecting refs does not want to make a call that will impact the outcome of a game, which is exactly what Kotyra did. A minute plus left in a tie game and they whistle us for standing a guy up with the puck at his feet. I'm a big boy, I can handle losing, but sure as sh ** can't accept having a game taken away from our guys. I left with a sense of complete disgust. Union is a skilled team, they don't need the zebras help to win games. All I can hope is that our guys can use this as catalyst to come out and inflict some damage on Harvard this Friday night.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                I asked that question, and I think that the only answer I got was someone had to sit down so that Higgs could play. I have not seen anything stating that he got a league suspension.
                                We are not the same team with Burger out of the lineup. He's earned his role on that energy line ...he has been outstanding and was missed last night, IMO.
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X