X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2012-2013 Part III: There Will Be Math Involved

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    Thanks Doc, always glad to hear a medical opinion on such injuries. My question is, how serious could it have been if he was hit again after returning to the ice?
    It seems to me that they Cornell coaching staff was very negligent in putting him back in the game.
    This should be a wake up call for all of college hockey to take precautions when a player is injured in a game.
    At the very least a quick examination of the player before sending him back out on the ice.
    Is there any protocol in place for this?
    The risk of continuing to play is impossible to calculate but if they had known I am sure they would have sat him for sure. My guess is that there was no one who thought that he was injured badly enough. As a physician, to me that is not a risk i would ever allow to happen. Heads and necks are just not made to take the punishment that other areas of the body can endure. And of course, the sequellae are just so much more devastating. Tearing an MCL or even an ACL is bad enough-but we have all seen the effects of neck injuries and head injuries. Sometimes what seems rather innocuous can turn out devastating. Just read a bit about the skiing injury to Natasha Richardson. I am sure all injuries are quickly evaluated on the bench or in the locker room-but the question is-how experienced and educated is the person who does that evaluation? I suppose it is just impossible to expect having a board certified neurosurgeon at every game or even on call. Knowing that, the suggestion would be to always err on the side of caution.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
      Hate to hear about the Cornell player injury, but one has to think that Greg Burgdoerfer will now be watched like a hawk by the league and officials whenever he steps on the ice for the rest of the season. Also, I will be interested to see if his style of play changes at all the rest of the year.
      Agree on all fronts. I dont for a minute think there was any malice....the kid was reaching and in an awkward position. [U] I hope the kid mends fully and quickly.[/U ]I do honestly think that Greg did pull up a bit, but physics took over. That said, Burger and his line mates have been kicking ### the last few weeks...their forechecking has been outstanding... I hope they do not modify their approach, as that line has been very hard to play against, IMO.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
        Agree on all fronts. I dont for a minute think there was any malice....the kid was reaching and in an awkward position. [U] I hope the kid mends fully and quickly.[/U ]I do honestly think that Greg did pull up a bit, but physics took over. That said, Burger and his line mates have been kicking ### the last few weeks...their forechecking has been outstanding... I hope they do not modify their approach, as that line has been very hard to play against, IMO.
        This, this, and this. Oh, and did I mention this?

Saturday cannot come soon enough. I HATE arguments during Cornell week. Even if I provoke some of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
          We still have to make a trip to Cornell. I would think that the officials might be on special alert then.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
            We still have to make a trip to Cornell. I would think that the officials might be on special alert then.
            There should still be room at the alumni dinner beforehand.

Comment

Mike (don't call me fat ) will see to that.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                  He's bigger than me. I don't want to get him mad. (Then again, Martin St. Louis is bigger than me.)
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

congrats to the Schroeder family as Jordan steps on the ice, for Vancouver, making his NHL debut.....Mom & Dad are there.
                    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

GAG
                      RPI Got A Goalie good job Seth! I know others on this sight, less enlighten ones think 3 goalies is a good thing. Good thing you don't coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
                        GAG
                        RPI Got A Goalie good job Seth! I know others on this sight, less enlighten ones think 3 goalies is a good thing. Good thing you don't coach.
                        Rvd5star69 is more understandable than you.

Comment

That is exactly what I was alluding to in a sort of cryptic fashion. I suspect we will get called for just about anything suspect-and perhaps they will assign Kotyra and Murphy to this game

Comment

That is exactly what I was alluding to in a sort of cryptic fashion. I suspect we will get called for just about anything suspect-and perhaps they will assign Kotyra and Murphy to this game
                            Feola and Baker did the last one... and Feola was involved in the diving game.

Comment

He's bigger than me. I don't want to get him mad. (Then again, Martin St. Louis is bigger than me.)
                              Back in the 90's when St Louis and Perrin were at Vermont-they might have been about your size. Neither would have made my big forward team. But you could not move St Louis off the puck and you just could not knock him down. I don't think I ever saw anyone get a clean shot on him-really made me think that size was less important at least at the NCAA level. I thought he played just so much bigger than he was but must admit I could never imagine he could carry that up to the NHL level. Truly a talented player. That line gave us fits for their entire time at UVM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Feola and Baker did the last one... and Feola was involved in the diving game.
                                That combo or adding Dumas into the mix will make for an uphill battle for us. I never thought I would yearn for the days of Pierre Belanger!

Comment

Working...
                                X