UAA @ Minnesota : 1/11/13 and 1/12/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rangers1919 View Post
    Do Gophers fans actually like watching this hockey, or get excited by it? Literally every single game I've seen the Gophers play at home if they are trailing they play at least the last five minutes of the game on the PP, and usually at least 7 of the last 10. It's not even a question. When they do something blatant and get a penalty it is immediately nullified with a call on the other team. I used to like the Gophers, but it is really laughable, and not even watchable anymore.
    *****http://dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw9022-idkheresaj.png******
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Re: UAA @ Minnesota : 1/11/13 and 1/12/13

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
      Thanks

PP's are part of the game last I checked.
      21 minutes of them for the Gophers. 6 for the Seawolves. Power Plays are definitely part of the "game".

Comment

I find it interesting he/she signed up in March 2011 and tonight is the game that set him/her off haha

Comment

Well, they may have earned it but they didn't deserve it if that makes sense. I'd be hard pressed to not argue UAA had the better play 65% of the time if not more and Wilcox had an uncharacteristically bad night, but for once skill overcame hard work and they gutted it out in the end. If this doesn't wake them up for tomorrow night not sure what will.

I think the 5 min call was the right call, but I thought Helgy could have got one earlier. Conspiracy theorists have at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            Well, they may have earned it but they didn't deserve it if that makes sense. I'd be hard pressed to not argue UAA had the better play 65% of the time if not more and Wilcox had an uncharacteristically bad night, but for once skill overcame hard work and they gutted it out in the end. If this doesn't wake them up for tomorrow night not sure what will.

I think the 5 min call was the right call, but I thought Helgy could have got one earlier. Conspiracy theorists have at it.
            I think the call was questionable. 2 minutes, sure, but not a 5. Currier didn't hit him from behind. I rewound my DVR and watched it several times. He kind of rubbed him out and hit his SIDE, not his back. Oh well, it is what it is. Considering UM shelled BC 8-1, I feel good about the Seawolves effort. Playing with jet lag and an hour later than normal had to be hard on them.
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I thought the call was kinda dicey, but good grief did UAA shoot themselves in the foot on that last goal. You have four skaters and three of them are in the corner? COME ON, MAN! UAA made too many costly errors. When Leask lost it in his own skates and turned it over at his own blue line and Bjugstad scored, that was a huge goal for Minnesota and just a horrible play. Not only that, Leask barely even gave chase.
              Originally posted by SJHovey
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                I thought the call was kinda dicey, but good grief did UAA shoot themselves in the foot on that last goal. You have four skaters and three of them are in the corner? COME ON, MAN! UAA made too many costly errors. When Leask lost it in his own skates and turned it over at his own blue line and Bjugstad scored, that was a huge goal for Minnesota and just a horrible play. Not only that, Leask barely even gave chase.
                He's a freshman. Mistakes are gonna happen. He's actually been very impressive so far this year.
                Originally Posted by aparch
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Well, UAA really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory tonight.
                  I'm tempted to say the Gophers stole this one, but you can't steal what the other person gives you.

I thought Anchorage executed their game-plan extremely well tonight. They came out ultra aggressive and totally caught MN off guard; got their goal, proceeded to play tight and clog things up/slow things down and frustrate MN, hung around until the end and then jumped on a couple opportunities that came their way. It was all very well played until that boneheaded penalty.

Hopefully MN comes out a bit sharper tomorrow. Too many offsides, puck-fumbles, over-leading on passes, etc. It got better as the game progressed, but by that point UAA was right where they wanted to be and able to make things difficult for MN.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                    Well, UAA really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory tonight.
                    I'm tempted to say the Gophers stole this one, but you can't steal what the other person gives you.
                    Exactly. The Gophers didn't find a way to win tonight, UAA found a way to lose.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

This game has all the signs of huge letdown for the Gophers after two very intense games against BC and Notre Dame (Grade C). UAA, despite their dismal season thus far, came to play, out muscling and outplaying the Gophers throughout the first period. The Gophers looked sloppy, made mental errors on D and found themselves down 1-0 and outshot 12-8 at the end of the first period by a UAA team which only averages 21 SOG/G, the worst SOG/G total in the nation.

The Gophers came back in the 2nd and Rauser tied it on a PP goal, one of 3 PP goals for the game by the Gophers. Nick Bjugstad has been elevating his game the past 4 games (4-4-8) after a first half scoring slump, and had a two goal game tonight. Both Rau (1G, 1A) and Bjugs answered the call in Haula's absence and were the difference makers on offense for the Gophers tonight.

UAA played a hard, in your face game. Hats off to the Seawolves for a strong effort to keep it close tonight. UAA took the 3-2 lead in third period with 5 min. left. Then UAA took a "questionable" 5 min. CFB penalty, giving the Gophers, who have the #1 PP and PK in the WCHA, a chance to tie it and then take the lead with a goal by Ben Marshall with 51 seconds left in the game. Wilcox had a couple very good saves, but would probably want that third goal back (Grade B) improving to 14-2-3 on the season. Final: Gophers 4, UAA 3

The Gophers grabbed 2 much needed WCHA points. At this time of the season every point counts! Tomorrow night, I suspect we'll see the same physicality from UAA and the Gophers better come out of the gate stronger and more prepared than they were tonight for the sweep and 4 critical WCHA pts.

Go Gophers! Rah!
                      Last edited by HarleyMC; 01-11-2013, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Gophers definitely had a mental letdown tonight and were lucky it didn't cost them. This is always one of those of series I wonder which Gopher team will show up. The top end team that can throttle anybody when they work hard... or the team that thinks they can just show up and win. Too often they seem to underestimate UAA and it ends up like this. They need to treat every team like they are BC or Notre Dame even if the talent says otherwise.

Coming off two huge wins against top national opponents got their heads too big... hopefully they learned a lesson tonight.
                        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

It's not a conspiracy theory if it is quantifiable. I don't think there is necessarily a conspiracy, I think Minnesota gets hometown reffing in every single close home game, and has for at least the last 5 years that I have watched them. North Dakota gets the same treatment, but Denver, CC, and Wisconsin, with a few exceptions, don't get the same treatment. Minnesota gets it every game.

Look at their close games this year at home:

NO - PP w/ 5 left in the game, a goal shortly after the PP ended to tie it.
                          WI - PP w/ 1.5 left up 1 in the game to end the game.
                          WI - 5 min PP w/ 7 left in the game, and a 5 min PP in OT.
                          MNS - up 1, and surprise a PP at the end of the game to end the rally again.

The WI one is the only one I didn't see, and from what I've heard one of them was legit, I have no opinion on the other one. It was contact to the head so it was probably a legit penalty as I've heard, but the play in this game where a MN player lead w/ his elbow and made contact to the head should have been a 5, and was quickly nullified by a penalty anyways.

It isn't an occasional game this happens for Min, it is almost every single game.

Comment

That's because MN didn't quit when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                            Twenty red lights in his honor
                            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers1919 View Post
                              It's not a conspiracy theory if it is quantifiable. I don't think there is necessarily a conspiracy, I think Minnesota gets hometown reffing in every single close home game, and has for at least the last 5 years that I have watched them. North Dakota gets the same treatment, but Denver, CC, and Wisconsin, with a few exceptions, don't get the same treatment. Minnesota gets it every game.

Look at their close games this year at home:

NO - PP w/ 5 left in the game, a goal shortly after the PP ended to tie it.
                              WI - PP w/ 1.5 left up 1 in the game to end the game.
                              WI - 5 min PP w/ 7 left in the game, and a 5 min PP in OT.
                              MNS - up 1, and surprise a PP at the end of the game to end the rally again.

The WI one is the only one I didn't see, and from what I've heard one of them was legit, I have no opinion on the other one. It was contact to the head so it was probably a legit penalty as I've heard, but the play in this game where a MN player lead w/ his elbow and made contact to the head should have been a 5, and was quickly nullified by a penalty anyways.

It isn't an occasional game this happens for Min, it is almost every single game.
                              So you site 4 examples to support your little quantitative research endeavor? Brilliant, you can't make this stuff up. If you want to validate your assumption, you've got to do better than that.

Comment

Hahaha.

I was just about to post that I hoped Harley hadn't left for the night, as there is a gentleman in this thread who clearly needs some help in fleshing out a methodology for his research.

Comment

Working...
                                X