UConn's Marshall Resigns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UConn's Marshall Resigns

Yeah, Pecknold taking an offer from UConn would be, in essence, taking a step down in the hopes that the step somehow lands itself in a rocket ship. He's sitting on a top ten team right now, and one that's become very competitive in its own league in a pretty short period of time, at a school that has made hockey its #1 sport. UConn, right now, is precisely zero of those things, and the third of those things is probably something that will *never* happen at UConn, upgrade or no.

Toot Cahoon I could see as a possibility, but I don't know if *he's* apt to get back in the coach's seat so soon, for a program that has exactly the same sport priorities as UMass-Amherst (if not further back in the pack because of the otherwise generally unheard of influence that women's hoop has in Storrs), when his major complaint with Amherst was that hockey wasn't a priority there.

Tim Whitehead would be a popular move for eleven out of twelve Hockey East fan bases on USCHO. I'm certain that UConn wouldn't be one of them.

I think Berard will be on any eventual short list that does arise, but the fact he's going to close out the season as the interim coach (and that UConn won't start the search until after the season) means I think he's basically getting a three month tryout as the heir apparent, and how UConn performs for the remainder of this season will be a key factor in whether he's retained. If they poop the bed down the stretch, yeah, I'd ice him (or hope to keep him on as an assistant at most). Otherwise, I think they give him a look, given that next year he'll have six more schollys and his first recruiting class.
    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
      Tim Whitehead would be a popular move for eleven out of twelve Hockey East fan bases on USCHO. I'm certain that UConn wouldn't be one of them.
      The eleven took me a minute there to figure out. Maine fans would be over the moon to get rid of him, UConn fans don't want him anywhere near the home locker rooms in Storrs, and all other HE fans want to keep the stiff around, just NIMBY. Right?
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

I don't want Whitehead going to UConn. I hate when likeable people are employed by them...

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
          We had Rand Pecknold on as a guest on USCHO Live last night. I don't think that a move to UConn would make sense for him. He's got a great arena, an AD and college president who support the program very well, and he's never had a losing season in 14 years since moving to D-I.
          Pecknold's conversation with Uconn would probably begin or end in a small laugh and will be nothing more than "no thanks." Talk about a serious downgrade in programs if he left for Uconn and a terrible career move for a head coach of the current #2 PWR team in the country.

When you consider the timing of this move to HEA, it really couldn't be any worse for Uconn. Yale and QPac are on the upswing in Connecticut. The entire AD over at Uconn is in a mess as they are a misfit in the conference realignment puzzle and Jim Calhoun just retired. Women's hoops is still killing it though!!

And from a Hockey East perspective, what a horrendously bad move adding Uconn rather than QPac.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
            The eleven took me a minute there to figure out. Maine fans would be over the moon to get rid of him, UConn fans don't want him anywhere near the home locker rooms in Storrs, and all other HE fans want to keep the stiff around, just NIMBY. Right?
            Precisely. Or exactly. Pre-xactly.
            UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

I don't think Pecknold is interested either, but I think they would probably ask. Why might he consider it, though? A few reasons. My guess is that ultimately UConn can pay more. Not sure they will, but to land the guy they want they have the ability to do it. And the upside in Hockey East is much higher than the upside in the ECAC. Fact of the matter is that the last time an ECAC team made the NCAA Final was 1990. Last ECAC Champ was harvard in 1989. Almost a quarter of a century ago. Now I'm not saying UConn is going to the NCAA Final any time soon, but Quinnipiac isn't going ever based on the ECAC's record. The upside of being in Hockey East is much higher. Finally, despite the success, Quinnipiac hockey, to the extent it gets reported at all gets covered as other college news along with Wesleyan and Trinity results and Trinity Squash. That won't happen with UConn. There simply will be more and better coverage because UConn will make that happen. Example, UConn got to the NCAA baseball tourney a couple of years ago for the first time in a decade. great local coverage. Meanwhile Central Connecticut was making its 7th consecutive trip and probably 4 people in the state knew that. Coverage was all UConn all the time. CCSU baseball is actually quite good and has been for some time. Pecknold is a terrific coach. has done a great job and has a terrific setup at Quinnipiac. And while I don't think he'll ever leave, there are reasons why he might think about it.

Comment

Yeah, Pecknold taking an offer from UConn would be, in essence, taking a step down in the hopes that the step somehow lands itself in a rocket ship. He's sitting on a top ten team right now, and one that's become very competitive in its own league in a pretty short period of time, at a school that has made hockey its #1 sport. UConn, right now, is precisely zero of those things, and the third of those things is probably something that will *never* happen at UConn, upgrade or no.

Toot Cahoon I could see as a possibility, but I don't know if *he's* apt to get back in the coach's seat so soon, for a program that has exactly the same sport priorities as UMass-Amherst (if not further back in the pack because of the otherwise generally unheard of influence that women's hoop has in Storrs), when his major complaint with Amherst was that hockey wasn't a priority there.

I think Berard will be on any eventual short list that does arise, but the fact he's going to close out the season as the interim coach (and that UConn won't start the search until after the season) means I think he's basically getting a three month tryout as the heir apparent, and how UConn performs for the remainder of this season will be a key factor in whether he's retained. If they poop the bed down the stretch, yeah, I'd ice him (or hope to keep him on as an assistant at most). Otherwise, I think they give him a look, given that next year he'll have six more schollys and his first recruiting class.
                Wait wait wait... who says we want Whitehead to leave maine?
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Toot is retired. He's ready to move back to his hometown of Marblehead MA where he is still a legend. I doubt very highly if, at 63 (or is it 64), he has ay interest in starting up again, even if it is UConn

Comment

It being uconn is a reason to stay retired.

Comment

Guessing that whomever is chosen will have to have played D-1. Pecknold has not. There is a clear question at the moment which league is stronger, the ECAC or the AHA, so accomplishment in the ECAC this year is suspect in my view. There is no question that HE is the strongest and would represent a step up.

Comment

UNH's assistant coach Scott Borek applied for the Umass Amherst job, so its obvious he's looking to become a Head Coach. It'd be interesting to see if Borek will apply for this one as UConn is moving to Hockey East in 2 years...

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                          Guessing that whomever is chosen will have to have played D-1. Pecknold has not. There is a clear question at the moment which league is stronger, the ECAC or the AHA, so accomplishment in the ECAC this year is suspect in my view. There is no question that HE is the strongest and would represent a step up.
                          I don't think anybody is asking that question.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                            Wait wait wait... who says we want Whitehead to leave maine?
                            I reckon that Maine will be happy to see him gone, UConn will be disappointed he's the guy they picked, and the other ten teams in Hockey East will be happy he's at least still in-league.
                            UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                              Having played D1 should be a factor, but I don't see why it would have to be a pre-requisite.

Comment

Other online reports state that Coach Marshals ailment is not life threatening, that's good news, best of luck to him!
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X