Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College Hockey, '12-'13, Volume II: #JohnnyHockey or #GaudreaubeyBaker?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Hockey, '12-'13, Volume II: #JohnnyHockey or #GaudreaubeyBaker?

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
    Alas, I doubt Jerry has any any idea about the mathematics involved.
    Craig Janney agrees.
    Originally posted by reBlur
    the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Re: Boston College Hockey, '12-'13, Volume II: #JohnnyHockey or #GaudreaubeyBaker?

I seem to remember york knowing all about the PWR (minus the real nitty gritty number crunching)

Tom caron is another twit who I think still thinks we're under the 12 team format.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Tom caron is another twit who I think still thinks we're under the 12 team format.
        If only he were right about that. :\

But that's another thread entirely. Carry on . . .
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
          with a week-long trip to San Francisco starting next Friday.
          you have no idea how jealous i am. My favorite place on earth.......................................anyway , i had a gun in my mouth on the long ride home saturday but my wife reminded my that i do this every year at this time. We have to be patient and see what Jerry comes up with and he will come up with something. Need Matheson and Doherty obviously but there just isnt anyone on the 3rd or 4th line that i can see with any special talent . No one does anything particularly well that you could say , "geez, that kid is really playing well out there and is going to break out soon". No one has stepped up or even shown a glimmer of hope that one will, that's what i'm most concerned about. Right now, if all 11 recruits come next year they all are going to play, right away...........I'm that unimpressed with everyone on the current third and fourth lines................

edit, meant Sullivan, not Doherty..........mixed up the Irish names, lol
          Last edited by sterlippo1; 01-28-2013, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Matheson should be back this weekend so that will help both the struggling powerplay (1 for last 21 with the 1 being the garbage goal this weekend) and allowing another F to actually play F.

Agreed on the 3rd & 4th line, coming into Saturday night combined they've averaged 1.1 PPG. That's comically bad. There are players who do things well (Smith is physical and is a very good on the PK) that any winning team needs, but there are far too many who aren't producing who in past years would've been in suits.

This team isn't nearly as bad as they've played the last couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
              This team isn't nearly as bad as they've played the last couple of weeks.
              or as good as it was in the first 11. Obviously somewhere in between. I'd like to think closer to the 10-1 team . We can never count a Jerry York team out but it will be interesting (read more difficult), to see what he does with this group

Comment

The reality is that this team is probably better than this current 1-3 stretch when healthy but still not as good as that 10-game win streak either. BUT... for BC's standards... this squad ranks fairly low on the totem pole.

I haven't seen a BC team bend over and take it in the rear like this in a long time. 01-02 struggled and had Dolinar playing D for a while with similar injuries on D. But that team tried every night. And when Ben Eaves was healthy they were still a brutally tough team to play against.

Get the powerplay going and you're probably putting this team in a lot of tight games and that will be a good thing. They won a lot of tight games in that 10 game win streak.

First goals are of course very important for them. Especially right now. BC was never in control of 120 minutes of hockey this weekend because they stunk and gave up the first period goals in each game. That's a crazy huge pill to swallow but it's true.

Anyone that realized BC won 29 out of their last 30 games at one point had to realize the law of averages was going to smack BC with a large dose of mathematical reality.

My concern is that the "this happens every year" crowd will get jacked up by a potential Beanpot, which could be fool's gold given the nature of Harvard (losing many players to academic scandal) and Northeastern (too many things to mention) and BU (the best of the bunch but also a bit schizo right now). Still I like BU's chances given the recent rash of suspensions coming at the right time to round them into shape, but we can never discount anyone getting arrested either. All that being said, everything is fairly wide open. FF run is possible given the down years for a lot of programs. Anything can happen. Best goalie the country IMO. Best coach in the game (fact). That's a decent recipe for success.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I don't know the timeline of the rash of injuries to the many BC defensemen, but I think at least one of them was recent.

To me, the first games after a major injury aren't as telling as the second weekend; as in, what adjustments do you make on Monday morning (or whenever they practice) and have a week in which to practice them and get comfortable.

Jerry York is too smart a coach, and as a team the Eagles are still too talented; they may glide into the playoffs as a #2 or 3 in Hockey East instead of running away with #1, but I am sure Mr York will find a way to keep them competitive until they get their key players back.
                  I haven't been on here in a year...
                  Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Some more numbers to chew on.

The lack of quickness and transition (and SHGs, which could have been scored this weekend a few times but whatever) is evident. Quickness and offensive zone presence and possession usually lead to the defending team to tire and take penalties. This year's team on a per game basis is the worst in the last 14 years (as far back as I felt like going) at generating powerplay opportunities. And yes this isn't perfectly scientific.

Powerplays per game:

2004-2005 6.40
                    2005-2006 5.83
                    2008-2009 5.81
                    2000-2001 5.72
                    2002-2003 5.69
                    2003-2004 5.19
                    1999-2000 5.17
                    2006-2007 5.14
                    2007-2008 5.05
                    2009-2010 5.05
                    2010-2011 4.82
                    2011-2012 4.27
                    2001-2002 4.26
                    2012-2013 4.04

Of course last year's team was near the bottom of this but steamrolled everyone. At 21.5%, it's still a nice number in spite of the slump. Partly because it was otherworldly early on. Obviously not scoring on the PP is a death blow for this team right now but if they can get another 1 to 1.5 PPs per game it could have a huge effect on the way things go.

Just something that I found interesting, really.
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Given the recent play, just find a way to win by any means necessary. I'll then worry about how they are actually playing at a later date.

No surprise that this team doesn't draw as many penalties...good research. I wonder where they stand in terms of the number of penalties they take.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        Some more numbers to chew on.

The lack of quickness and transition (and SHGs, which could have been scored this weekend a few times but whatever) is evident. Quickness and offensive zone presence and possession usually lead to the defending team to tire and take penalties. This year's team on a per game basis is the worst in the last 14 years (as far back as I felt like going) at generating powerplay opportunities. And yes this isn't perfectly scientific.

Powerplays per game:

2004-2005 6.40
                        2005-2006 5.83
                        2008-2009 5.81
                        2000-2001 5.72
                        2002-2003 5.69
                        2003-2004 5.19
                        1999-2000 5.17
                        2006-2007 5.14
                        2007-2008 5.05
                        2009-2010 5.05
                        2010-2011 4.82
                        2011-2012 4.27
                        2001-2002 4.26
                        2012-2013 4.04

Of course last year's team was near the bottom of this but steamrolled everyone. At 21.5%, it's still a nice number in spite of the slump. Partly because it was otherworldly early on. Obviously not scoring on the PP is a death blow for this team right now but if they can get another 1 to 1.5 PPs per game it could have a huge effect on the way things go.

Saturday night there couldn't have been more than a couple odd-man rushes that BC attempted, and those were quickly neutralized/vaporized by Maine's good defense. But the transition game has always (or, recently) been a BC hallmark. The more odd-man rushes you get, the more goals you get.
                        Chris V
                        Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Just by my gut I don't think we take as many penalties either. Steve has really improved in that.

Matheson is practicing today with the non-contact jersey on as a precaution -plan is he should be good to go this weekend.

Comment

Powerplays per game:

2004-2005 6.40
                            2005-2006 5.83
                            2008-2009 5.81
                            2000-2001 5.72
                            2002-2003 5.69
                            2003-2004 5.19
                            1999-2000 5.17
                            2006-2007 5.14
                            2007-2008 5.05
                            2009-2010 5.05
                            2010-2011 4.82
                            2011-2012 4.27
                            2001-2002 4.26
                            2012-2013 4.04

It is interesting ............. based on the trend showing there, PPG have gone down every year without exception (ok, one year it was the same), that perhaps it is a trend in college hockey that less penalties are called rather than a BC trend?? Maybe that's crazy to say that but those numbers are startling

Comment

Powerplays per game:

2004-2005 6.40
                              2005-2006 5.83
                              2008-2009 5.81
                              2000-2001 5.72
                              2002-2003 5.69
                              2003-2004 5.19
                              1999-2000 5.17
                              2006-2007 5.14
                              2007-2008 5.05
                              2009-2010 5.05
                              2010-2011 4.82
                              2011-2012 4.27
                              2001-2002 4.26
                              2012-2013 4.04
                              The fact that BC's PPPG has gone down every single year for 14 straight years (besides the one year when it stayed level) makes me think how the game has been called has likely changed, and this may not have much to do with speed or possession. PPPG vs the NCAA avg for that year would likely better show those attributes, but I assume you have better things to do than calculate that.

Edit: Damm you sterlippo!

Comment

They are sorted by PPs per game guys, not by year.

Comment

Working...
                                X