Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Quinnipiac & Princeton (1/11, 1/12)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI & Union @ Quinnipiac & Princeton (1/11, 1/12)

Back to league play.

Let's see, I got the month and date right, I think that I spelled all the school names correctly, and I am posting this on the correct forum. I wonder what I could have ****ed up this time.

i wonder why "messed" gets starred.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI & Union @ Quinnipiac & Princeton (1/11, 1/12)

Hopefully we are more at full strength for these games. We need Kasdorf and neal back badly. We need to put these last 2 games behind us. Very dect effort at BU and for one period at UNH. After that it seemed like we just kept backing up all night. If hockey is truly a game of match ups (and I think it is) then it was pretty obvious that we matched up better against BU than against UNH. AT HFH we seemed to play extremely well again QU and also against PU. Hopefully that will hold up on the road.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

The Capital District can scarcely do worse than it did this weekend, as Union dropped both ends of a two-game set at Lake Superior State.

Conversely, QU and PU can scarcely do better, as Princeton swept a pair from Harvard and Dartmouth while Quinnipiac beat Dartmouth last night and seems to be well on its way to beating Harvard tonight, leading 5-2 after two.

Comment

I just took a look at the ECAC standings.

Probably everybody was aware that Quinnipiac is off to a great start and in first place.

And in second place is - well, looky here! - Princeton, whose 11 points in 10 games are more than any other ECAC team besides Quinnipiac has accumulated to this point.

Part of that is due to the fact that QU and PU have both played 10 league games and no other ECAC team has played more than 8. Still, there the Tigers are, in second place, far from being the pushovers some preseason predictions had them projected to be. Neither Union nor RPI should expect the Baker Rink portion of this weekend to be a walk in the park.

The good news is that no ECAC team (again, besides Quinnipiac) has a record more than one game above .500. Even though RPI's off to a poor start, the other teams are all sitting there waiting for the Engineers to catch up if they can get hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
          The Capital District can scarcely do worse than it did this weekend, as Union dropped both ends of a two-game set at Lake Superior State.
          RPI could do much worse than losing in OT against BU and coming up short against UNH on a nice where they needed to make almost no errors to be successful.

Lake State isn't doing half bad lately, either.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
            I just took a look at the ECAC standings.

Probably everybody was aware that Quinnipiac is off to a great start and in first place.

And in second place is - well, looky here! - Princeton, whose 11 points in 10 games are more than any other ECAC team besides Quinnipiac has accumulated to this point.

Part of that is due to the fact that QU and PU have both played 10 league games and no other ECAC team has played more than 8. Still, there the Tigers are, in second place, far from being the pushovers some preseason predictions had them projected to be. Neither Union nor RPI should expect the Baker Rink portion of this weekend to be a walk in the park.

The good news is that no ECAC team (again, besides Quinnipiac) has a record more than one game above .500. Even though RPI's off to a poor start, the other teams are all sitting there waiting for the Engineers to catch up if they can get hot.
            I have seen Princeton numerous times in the past few years-Baker Rink is only about an hour away. They have had far more talent than their record has shown in the past few years. They are fast and they are big. it was only a mtter of time before they put some things together. They are particularly good at coming out fast on their home rink-they are at full tilt from the drop of the puck. And they forecheck-almost as well as UNH does. They are in your face. We had better be ready for this and have a scheme to deal with it.

Comment

I will be coming to the Princeton game on Saturday. Anyone have any suggestions for a place to have a late lunch before the game?
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

This thread needs bumping.

RPI needs to take at least two points this weekend. They are quite capable of doing at least that well but need to stay out of the penalty box.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

RPI needs to take at least two points this weekend. They are quite capable of doing at least that well but need to stay out of the penalty box.
                  We need to do a lot of things. Against Princeton-we need to not come out slowly-PU just starts each home game with a jump and forechecks you all over your zone. They have some real size-2 defensemen are Cornell sized and they actually play to their size or bigger. Their special teams do not seem all that potent when you watch, but at the end of the game they often seem to win the special teams battle. I have seen two different goaltenders-both good but neither has been spectacular. Summing it up-we need to play one of our better games down here-not necessarily perfect-but if we let up at all this could be a tough trip home from NJ.
                  I have not seen QU but what can you say about a team that has not lost a league game and we are already in January? Probably not a lot of weaknesses at all and the worst part may well be that they are playing with such confidence. Hard to beat a team that comes out and really believes they can beat anyone.

Comment

Dr. D, I understand it's supposed to be near 60 degrees in New Jersey on Saturday.

Does that call for any change in your oft-stated admonition that those who are planning to go to a hockey game at Baker Rink had better dress in multiple layers of warm clothing?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

The game against P at HFH was a 2-2 tie, with Leonard netting the equalizer late in the 3rd. We outshot the Tigers 37-19, but went 0'fer the powerplay. So I would say the key to the game would be to bury at least one more puck than P . I saw Q manhandle UNO two weeks ago -- they are playing at a very high level right now. Their defense kept the Mavs offense to the perimeter for most of the game. Forwards are very responsible in their own end. Hartzell is on a Hobey-list tear right now. We'll need to bring a three star effort and get BODIES to the net to beat him and Q, IMO.
                      Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 01-09-2013, 08:21 AM.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

IIRC Q held Union to ZERO shots on goal after the 1st period when they played at Messa Rink. A pretty good formula for winning a game if you ask me. We were able to get get 22 sog and held them to just 24 sog which in my mind was a strong effort. We lost the game, I feel, on the special teams. We had 9 PP opportunities in the game and could not get 1 puck in the net on them. They on the other hand had 2 PP opportunities and capitalized on the 1st one and got a shortie on one of ours. If we can play the same type of game without giving up the PP goal and especially the short handed then I like our chances.

Comment

Doc and company, what section do you typically get for the Princeton game? I'd like to round out the ECAC hockey rinks this year, as Princeton's the only one I haven't been to.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Doc and company, what section do you typically get for the Princeton game? I'd like to round out the ECAC hockey rinks this year, as Princeton's the only one I haven't been to.
                            Dude, I will be in sec 124 row E.
                            HOpe to see you there.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

s
                              Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Once again Dude, who regularly complains about travel expense from CNY to Troy, is again going on a long road trip. OH, the irony. Good effort if you get there Dude. I too am working on an informal "touch 'em all" campaign of ECAC and eventually, D1 rinks. Crossed off Gutterson earlier this year. If I had my act together, I'd make Doc buy me dinner at Princeton, and I could take the southern ECAC component off my list.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                              X