X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pairwise and Bracketology 2013 Edition

Originally posted by JimDahl View Post
    It's even rarer than Alaska making the tournament, I'm seeing it in 4 possible outcomes. This one requires a very particular tie in the 3rd place game to knock Brown out of being a TUC, while still keeping Yale ahead of UNH: http://goo.gl/Y0QFl
    Fascinating that in that scenario, Union, Yale, and UNH all have RPI = .5340 and UNH comes out on the bottom in the 5th decimal point. Are the other 3 like it in that way?

Comment

Originally posted by JimDahl View Post
      My first run is very close to that posted by PatMan, summarized by Numbers above. This is supposed to be comprehensive, but errors are always a possibility. More detail later.

Quinnipiac #1 100% invite
      Minnesota #2 100% invite
      Miami #3-8 100% invite
      Boston College #3-12 100% invite
      Yale #3-18 96.9% invite
      Mass.-Lowell #3-11 100% invite
      North Dakota #3-12 100% invite
      New Hampshire #5-13 100% invite
      Notre Dame #3-19 81.8% invite
      Mankato #3-14 99.7% invite
      Niagara #4-15 95.9% invite
      St Cloud #3-15 94.1% invite
      Denver #7-15 98% invite
      Western Michigan #13-18 56.5% invite
      Union #8-22 41.5% invite
      Wisconsin #10-23 13.3% invite
      Providence #13-26 25.1% invite
      Boston University #12-23 25.8% invite
      Rensselaer #13-21 8.2% invite
      Alaska #16-27 <.01% invite (43 of 393216 scenarios)
      Cornell #18-27 No invites
      Brown #16-29 Needs to win for invite
      Dartmouth #18-25 No invites
      Robert Morris #14-27 .7% invite
      Colorado College #18-32 Needs to win for invite
      Ohio State #17-32 Needs to win for invite
      Michigan #21-NonTUC Needs to win for invite
      Connecticut #21-NonTUC Needs to win for invite
      Canisius NonTUC Needs to win for invite
      Mercyhurst #32-NonTUC Needs to win for invite

Anyone see anything outside those ranges?
      Thanks for spelling that all out! Noting the low probability of NH slipping to #13, is it fairly safe to say that if Lowell or Boston College win the HEA tournament, the winner will be the #1 seed in Manchester?

Comment

Is it accurate that all conference tournaments have no consolation games for 2012-13?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
          Thanks for spelling that all out! Noting the low probability of NH slipping to #13, is it fairly safe to say that if Lowell or Boston College win the HEA tournament, the winner will be the #1 seed in Manchester?
          I'd wager "no"... If Jim was able to save all his runs then he should have answer... I'll start working out simple UML contingencies later

Edit: BC can be a 1 w/o winning HEA for certain... I suppose that leads to the question if both BC and UML can be a one seed
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
            I seem to be getting a possibility of Yale (if they beat QU) and NoDak (3 wins makes a difference here. It works with them beating Minny and Mankato anyway) jumping over Lowell in the event all 3 win their conference. Miami stays ahead, too, with a win in the CCHA final. So, Lowell would be 6th only in this case.

So, no is the answer to your question. I am now going to think about the possible question? Who has priority to the 4th overall seed? In other words, who gets auto by winning their tourney? I suspect it may not be possible to phrase it that way, because for Yale, beating Brown is a lot different than beating QU.

Quick Edit: BC has priority. Win HE, and they are a #1. Then, North Dakota. Then, Yale. Lowell is behind them all because they have a lost compare with SCSU which can't be flipped.
            Last edited by Numbers; 03-18-2013, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
              Is it accurate that all conference tournaments have no consolation games for 2012-13?
              No. ECAC still has the Saturday 3rd place game. The other 4 conferences do not.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                ECAC has a 3rd place game at 4:00 on Saturday (right before the Championship Game).
                LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
                  Not definite yet because if Brown wins the ECAC title then they are definitely the #4 seed in Providence as the host school and will kick Quinnipiac to Manchester as a #1 seed. Lowell or BC would then go to Providence.
                  QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                  2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                  2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                  2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                  https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                  https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                  https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                    Not definite yet because if Brown wins the ECAC title then they are definitely the #4 seed in Providence as the host school and will kick Quinnipiac to Manchester as a #1 seed. Lowell or BC would then go to Providence.
                    This is correct. It gets really hairy for the committee if the very strange occurence happens, and Brown and UNH both host as #4s. Then, QU can't go to Prov, and UNH is the highest #4, so QU likely would not be there, playing what amounts to a road game.

In regard to #1 seed priority, see post 725, where it is found that even if Brown loses, and UNH is not a #4, it doesn't matter for Lowell. If NoDak or Yale win out, Lowell can't pass them because of the St Cloud compare. If BC wins out, they have the priority to the last #1 seed.

Comment

Based on Jim Dahl's numbers the new list looks like this:

Clinched: (7)
                      Quinnipiac, Minnesota, Miami, Boston College, Lowell, North Dakota, New Hampshire

Close: (6)
                      Mankato, Denver, Yale, Niagara, St Cloud, Notre Dame

Bubble, still playing: (4)
                      Union, Wisconsin, Providence, Boston University

Need autobid: (7)
                      Michigan, Ohio State, UConn, Canisius, Mercyhurst, Brown, Colorado College

Eliminated from conference playoffs, but still alive: (3)
                      Western Michigan, RPI, Robert Morris, Alaska

Eliminated from NCAA consideration, but still a TUC:
                      Dartmouth, Ferris State, St Lawrence, Nebraska-Omaha, Holy Cross, Cornell

Can still become a TUC:
                      Mercyhurst
                      Last edited by Priceless; 03-18-2013, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post

Quinnipiac, Minnesota, Miami, Boston College, Lowell, North Dakota, New Hampshire

Western Michigan, RPI, Alaska

Dartmouth, Robert Morris, Ferris State, St Lawrence, Nebraska-Omaha, Holy Cross, Cornell

Can still become a TUC:
                        Mercyhurst
                        curious , without winning hockey east how does pc or bu get in.... would be nice to see one more HE school make it ..

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post

Western Michigan, RPI, Alaska

Dartmouth, Robert Morris, Ferris State, St Lawrence, Nebraska-Omaha, Holy Cross, Cornell

Can still become a TUC:
                          Mercyhurst
                          could be wrong but i see both pc and bu needing autobids , henceforth there should be just two on the bubble as you have described.

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                            could be wrong but i see both pc and bu needing autobids , henceforth there should be just two on the bubble as you have described.
                            JimDahl shows BU with 0.8% chance at At-large, Pv 0.1% chance. Those things are hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                              I have seen scenarios where BU gets in by defeating BC on Friday and still losing on Saturday. I have not seen the same for Providence yet but I am still looking. CHN has a scenario where all 5 Hockey East teams get into the tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                                Technically they don't but the chance is exceedingly small.
                                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                                Skating Friar Jersey
                                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                                X