No announcement yet.

Has UND lost in conference realignment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Has UND lost in conference realignment?

Originally posted by Sioux_fan View Post
    ^ I can't help but be amazed at the coverage difference between the Big Ten and NCHC after watching the Big Ten openers today.
    The B1G needs some new announcers, how do you put a tennis guy on a Minnesota hockey broadcast, complaining about "unforced errors" like Serena Williams was on court. Very quiet at Marriucci, I know the students are off, but that game was like a morgue. The Michigan-Ohio St. broadcast was excellent though.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
      The B1G needs some new announcers, how do you put a tennis guy on a Minnesota hockey broadcast, complaining about "unforced errors" like Serena Williams was on court. Very quiet at Marriucci, I know the students are off, but that game was like a morgue. The Michigan-Ohio St. broadcast was excellent though.
      Those were ESPN's announcers. Not BTN/B1G.
      University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
        Let's see what happens in five years. Then all the NCHC teams will be full of players recruited to play in the NCHC and things will be much more clear.
        This is a somewhat ridiculous statement given the bulk of the teams in the NCHC were well established and showing some quality results in their former conferences.
        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Sioux_fan View Post
          ^ a timely moment for a bump? Through almost the halfway point of the season, UND is 4-7-2 (having just lost to St. Lawrence of all teams) and is even below .500 in its own super league. As for the NCHC, there had even been rumors of Miami and Western Michigan being unhappy with the travel in the NCHC. The Big Ten and Hockey East strategically ignored the NCHC with their Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge and I can't help but be amazed at the coverage difference between the Big Ten and NCHC after watching the Big Ten openers today. Yes, Big Ten hockey is at the mercy of Football and Basketball but it still beats what the NCHC has gotten in terms of coverage. And, surprisingly, the Big Ten is promoting hockey very well. Penn State (the so called bottom barrel team in the Big Ten) is 4th in hockey attendance - aided partially by the Wells Fargo Center game - but no doubt is gaining a footing on its campus.

I think there is a lot of disappointed people in Grand Forks and the lack of the success by the hockey team is making the whole conference realignment thing frustrating for Sioux fans. And before anyone talks about Hakstol's storied second half runs, consider that the 2013-2014 UND team has very few pieces in place to do so. Perhaps this puts a different perspective on the "UND will be fine" and the "Big Ten is a joke" comments. Not saying the tracks are falling off after only a couple months but I think its safe to say that things are not all smiles on the Prairie and the home of the 12,000 seat palace.
          Miami and Western are not used to traveling past grandma's house they better get used to it or the rest of the league will pass them by.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Let's go to the WCHA for reaction...
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Not to get a whole big thing going, but I never quite got what made UNO, St. Cloud, Miami and Western Michigan so special. ND, Denver and UMD are historically great college hockey schools, but as for the whole NCHC it doesn't seem to me as special as the league wants everyone to think.
              "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
              - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
              CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by hattrick16 View Post
                Not to get a whole big thing going, but I never quite got what made UNO, St. Cloud, Miami and Western Michigan so special. ND, Denver and UMD are historically great college hockey schools, but as for the whole NCHC it doesn't seem to me as special as the league wants everyone to think.
                Won't speak for the other schools, but hockey goes a LONG way back at SCSU... just not at the D1 level. However, the conference wasn't formed based on history, but on the future. In which case, you'd want to find schools that invest heavily in hockey. Success would hopefully come with that, but is second in importance to the money.

Just going to add that I believe the NCHC was horribly conceived. For SCSU, the move was a neccesary evil.
                scsuhockey.com
                CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Sioux_fan View Post
                  ^ a timely moment for a bump? Through almost the halfway point of the season, UND is 4-7-2 (having just lost to St. Lawrence of all teams)
                  "Of all teams" ? Really?! I'm pretty sure St. Lawrence was playing world class hockey when the actual Sioux were still fighting and winning on the prairies.

Perhaps you didn't notice the two ECAC teams in last year's Frozen Four final. Btw, as SLU fans, we are lucky if we get just one nationally televised game per season. We play in a (admittedly beautiful) 3,000 seat, 62 year old barn in a media market that makes Grand Forks feel like Boston. We are in a 12 team league where seven teams don't even offer athletic scholarships and where six teams don't even play a full schedule. And yet, our league is dominating the early Pairwise and our team is stacked with blue chip (but 100% undrafted) recruits; we currently lead the nation in scoring and PP percentage and are .667 against non-league competition this year, including last night.

"Of all teams" my *****. I think UND will be just fine in the NCHC. With all due respect to the participants in this thread, sitting where I sit, this thread is a silly discussion. After seeing how shellshocked your coach and captain looked on the post-game last night, I'd be more worried about whether your guys will be able to get their socks on for the warmups tonight.
                  Last edited by bcarlisle; 11-30-2013, 04:57 PM.
                  St. Lawrence University
                  World Class Old Time Hockey. Since 1927.

2 NCAA Championship Games >>> 6 Time ECAC Champions >>> 9 NCAA Frozen Fours >>> 16 NCAA Appearances >>> 1,000+ All-time Wins

Comment

• Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                    "Of all teams" ? Really?! I'm pretty sure St. Lawrence was playing world class hockey when the actual Sioux were still fighting and winning on the prairies.

Perhaps you didn't notice the two ECAC teams in last year's Frozen Four final. Btw, as SLU fans, we are lucky if we get just one nationally televised game per season. We play in a (admittedly beautiful) 3,000 seat, 62 year old barn in a media market that makes Grand Forks feel like Boston. We are in a 12 team league where seven teams don't even offer athletic scholarships and where six teams don't even play a full schedule. And yet, our league is dominating the early Pairwise and our team is stacked with blue chip (but 100% undrafted) recruits; we currently lead the nation in scoring and PP percentage and are .667 against non-league competition this year, including last night.

"Of all teams" my *****. I think UND will be just fine in the NCHC. With all due respect to the participants in this thread, sitting where I sit, this thread is a silly discussion. After seeing how shellshocked your coach and captain looked on the post-game last night, I'd be more worried about whether your guys will be able to get their socks on for the warmups tonight.
                    I missed the memo where the also - rans in the conference get credit for what the other teams did.
                    Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 11-30-2013, 05:16 PM.
                    Originally posted by SJHovey
                    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                    Originally posted by Brenthoven
                    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post

In all fairness, Hakstol always looks like the last guy in the room to figure out what just happened.

Comment

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
                        Records prior to the 1950-51 Season

UND - 46-41-3. First winning season 1946-47
                        SLU - 35-43-1. First winning season 1946-47

World Class hockey indeed.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Losing the Fighting Sioux nickname is going to hurt UND way more than the changing of conferences. They have lost their identity and their mystique. Yeah, they still play in the REA but they are no longer the Sioux. Speaking of the changing of conferences, the NCHC looks to be a less than stellar conference. Outside of SCSU, every other team so far appears to be mediocre at best.
                          National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
                          National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                            Losing the Fighting Sioux nickname is going to hurt UND way more than the changing of conferences. They have lost their identity and their mystique. Yeah, they still play in the REA but they are no longer the Sioux. Speaking of the changing of conferences, the NCHC looks to be a less than stellar conference. Outside of SCSU, every other team so far appears to be mediocre at best.
                            Let me get this straight.

They've lost their identity and mystique because they are no longer called "The Fighting Sioux"?

From my perspective, as a fan of one of their conference mates for the past 4 years, I always assumed that they derived their identity (to some degree) and their mystique (to a ginormous degree) to the fact that they are one of the most successful college hockey enterprises in annals of the NCAA in addition to winning a boatload of hockey games. They'd have the same identity and mystique if they'd always been known as the "The Fighting Cinderellas" as far as I am concerned. Don't see how what they are, or, are not called affects that in any way.

I don't see how relinquishing (they didn't "lose" it) the "Fighting Sioux" nickname hurts anything other than maybe their pride.

I also think I'd reserve any blanket judgements about the NCHC for after the conference has played a few more than 4 conference series weekends in the entirety of it's history and everybody in it has played more than 14 games, which is the most anybody in the league has played so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                              Really? A lot of things factor into building a successful hockey program...a nickname is not one of them.

It's no longer "realignment". It's here. It is now "alignment". Stop worrying about it and move forward.
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                                Winning is the ultimate antidote. If UND wins, the fans will be there. Their fans are white. They shouldn't care about the logo.
                                Originally posted by SJHovey
                                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Working...
                                X