Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Florida College Classic: UMD vs Maine/Ferris State vs Cornell (12/28-29) BEACH HOCKEY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida College Classic: UMD vs Maine/Ferris State vs Cornell (12/28-29) BEACH HOCKEY

What a nice holiday break for these teams. Nothing like a little hockey just a couple minutes from the beach, right?

Minnesota Duluth earned their first Saturday win and sweep of the season in their last series in Anchorage. UMD Bulldogs are 5-2-1 in their last 8 games, but 7-8-3 after a rough start. Matt McNeely played both games in Alaska, but for the most part of the season, split time with Aaron Crandall. Senior Mike Seidel leads the Dogs with 11 goals and 19 points but freshman Tony Cameranesi (8 goals, 19 points) and Austin Farley (7 goals, 16 points) are playing great as well.

Maine? Ferris State? Cornell?
    The University of Minnesota Duluth

Tweet -> @Matt_Christians

http://umdbulldogcountry.blogspot.com/

Re: Florida College Classic: UMD vs Maine/Ferris State vs Cornell (12/28-29) BEACH HO

I wonder if UMD has the longest distance between games. From Anchorage to SW Florida. Something like 5,000 miles. Should be a great matchup. Sounds like Maine is struggling, which UMD had been doing until the last few weekends. I think UMD can win this thing.

I would personally enjoy a matchup with my favorite CCHA team; Ferris State. Bulldogs versus Bulldogs!
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Re: Florida College Classic: UMD vs Maine/Ferris State vs Cornell (12/28-29) BEACH HO

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
      I wonder if UMD has the longest distance between games. From Anchorage to SW Florida. Something like 5,000 miles. Should be a great matchup. Sounds like Maine is struggling, which UMD had been doing until the last few weekends. I think UMD can win this thing.

I would personally enjoy a matchup with my favorite CCHA team; Ferris State. Bulldogs versus Bulldogs!
      So you've already turned your back on Miami? KAW!
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Maine couldn't beat a Minnesota High School team
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Sounds like Maine is struggling, which UMD had been doing until the last few weekends. I think UMD can win this thing.

Maine struggling? Are you for real? They are only the worst offensive team in College Hockey!
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Might make the 2 hour drive from Tampa for at least 1 of the days.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
              Maine struggling? Are you for real? They are only the worst offensive team in College Hockey!
              So you're saying we'll win in a blowout? What has happened? Do you miss Abbott that much? We had our struggles but things seem to be getting better. UMD has a chance for home ice after all!
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                So you've already turned your back on Miami? KAW!
                Cannot root for a future conference mate!
                tUMD Hockey

Comment

Cornell has been a bit of an enigma this year. They were a goal away from the Frozen Four last year, returned most of the key players, and got ECAC rookie of the year Brian Ferlin back off the injury list, so expectations (or at least hopes) were high. They came out flying with a sweep of CC (who maybe are not who we thought they were at the time?) followed by a 3-point weekend vs. travel partner Colgate. Then a puzzling 3 losses in a row by a combined 13-5 score. A struggling Michigan was just what the doctor ordered and Cornell got its first win at MSG since 1976 (had gone 0-2-1 vs. BU in recent games), and then workmanlike wins against overmatched Clarkson and St. Lawrence.

My feeling is that Cornell has also somewhat underperformed at the Florida tournament, going 5-7 in the opening game and then 6-6 in the second, winning 3 times but finishing last four times. Part of that is a testament to the strength of the teams that the tournament usually draws, but it still feels like Cornell has sand from the beach stuck in their skates many years.

All of that is a roundabout way of saying that I don't really know what to expect out of this year's Cornell team - check back with me on December 30th and I'll probably have a better idea!
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Strictly_Business View Post
                    What a nice holiday break for these teams. Nothing like a little hockey just a couple minutes from the beach, right?

Minnesota Duluth earned their first Saturday win and sweep of the season in their last series in Anchorage. UMD Bulldogs are 5-2-1 in their last 8 games, but 7-8-3 after a rough start. Matt McNeely played both games in Alaska, but for the most part of the season, split time with Aaron Crandall. Senior Mike Seidel leads the Dogs with 11 goals and 19 points but freshman Tony Cameranesi (8 goals, 19 points) and Austin Farley (7 goals, 16 points) are playing great as well.

Maine? Ferris State? Cornell?
                    You think 7-8-3 is "strugglling"??

Maine couldn't beat a team on roller skates.
                    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Struggling seems to be the theme of this tournament. Ferris started out well and had a nice 5-0 win and 3-3 tie against Michigan a couple weeks ago. But then they got swept by Western (blowing a 1-0 lead late in the third in game two) and just got bounced by Michigan State 3-1 on Saturday. They're definitely limping into this tournament. Oddly, FSU has always seemed to find a little luck at Christmas time though (I usually attributed this to all the best players from our opponents playing in the World Juniors).

It will be nice to see Cornell again and I'm excited for either Maine or UMD. I'm not sure we've ever played either team. I'm hoping this tournament can reignite the engines and give them a good push into 2013. But then again, sounds like everybody is hoping for that.

Let's hope Ferris can climb above .500 for 2012 in Florida hockey games.

Go Dawgs!
                      "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
                      - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
                      CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

Sounds like Maine has some roster problems...should make it easier for UMD than in the NCAA's. And this time we won't need some fluky goal that goes off the back of the goalie from way behind the net.

UMD can become above .500 with two wins in this tournament. They are also 4-1-1 in their last 6, perhaps playing the best puck of any team coming into this thing.
                        tUMD Hockey

Comment

Sounds like Maine has some roster problems...should make it easier for UMD than in the NCAA's. And this time we won't need some fluky goal that goes off the back of the goalie from way behind the net.

UMD can become above .500 with two wins in this tournament. They are also 4-1-1 in their last 6, perhaps playing the best puck of any team coming into this thing.
                          If UMD needed these "roster problems" to beat Maine, then UMD is horrible. This Maine team absolutely stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by hattrick16 View Post
                            It will be nice to see Cornell again and I'm excited for either Maine or UMD. I'm not sure we've ever played either team.
                            Ferris State split a series at Alfond in December of 1993, both games were 5-3.

Comment

Sounds like Maine has some roster problems....
                              Yeah but the bigger issue is a coaching problem, he sucks
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                              X