Sunyac '12-'13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunyac '12-'13

With all of the SUNYAC teams halfway through their league schedule, let's take a look/discuss what's transpired so far and what we expect moving forward....

Current Standings
    Oswego 7-1-0 ~ 14 Pts
    Plattsburgh 6-1-1 ~ 13 Pts
    Geneseo 6-1-1 ~ 13 Pts
    Buff State 3-4-1 ~ 7 Pts
    Brockport 3-5-0 ~ 6 Pts
    Fredonia 3-5-0 ~ 6 Pts
    Potsdam 3-5-0 ~ 6 Pts
    Cortland 2-5-1 ~ 5 Pts
    Morrisville 1-7-0 ~ 2 Pts

So far, it looks like business as usual in the SUNYAC. Oswego, Platty, Genny all fighting for the top three spots with the rest of the league pretty bunched up. Of the three tops teams, I think Genny might be the team needing that home-ice and first round bye in the playoffs. Those three teams will likely end up occupying those three spots at the end of the year.

4th through 8th place are seperated by 2 points. The difference between 4th place and 7th place is the difference between your season ending and your team hosting a first round playoff game. Buff State currently holds the 4th spot and with Kevin Carr in net, they would my favorite to hold that 4th spot come the end of the year. I think they have underachieved so far and with their last 5 SUNYAC games at home, I expect them to finish strong. Carr getting hot and stealing a point or two against Platty or Oswego at home could go a long way to helping them stay in 4th.

The next 4 teams (Brockport, Fredonia, Potsdam, Cortland), you can pretty much throw in a hat and pick one out. I think Cortland has shown the most fight of all these teams so far. Having scored 4 goals against both Hobart and Oswego, and another three goals against Platty, this team has shown it can atleast compete with the top teams. I'm picking them to rise amonst these 4 and take the 5th spot.

Morrisville is just over-matched this year. If they could add another year of eligibility to Mr. Relkoff's status, they might be able to compete. They will finish in last this year. That leaves three teams with one playoff spot remaining. Fredonia is 1-6 in the their last 7 games and have only scored 11 goals in those 7 games. A part of me wants to trust Friesen is the best goalie of all three teams, but they have to find a way to score some goals. That being said, I am going to take Friesen. Fredonia will show up to play @ Brockport and home against Potsdam and that will be enough to push them over the edge...barely.

My Predicted Final SUNYAC standings
    Oswego ~ 30 Pts
    Plattsburgh ~ 27 Pts
    Geneseo ~ 24 Pts
    Buff State ~ 15 Pts
    Cortland ~ 13 Pts
    Fredonia ~ 12 Pts
    Potsdam ~ 11 Pts
    Brockport ~ 9 Pts
    Morrisville ~ 3 Pts

Mid-Season SUNYAC Player of the Year: Luke Moodie (Oswego)
    2nd in the league in points, 2nd in the league in goals, 1st in the league in GWG, and on the first place team.

Mid-Season SUNYAC Coach of the Year: Bob Emery (Plattsburgh)
    Has overcome a bunch of injuries on defenseand his AA goalie coming in under-prepared and still has his team in 2nd place with a big win on the road against the conference leader.

Mid-Season SUNYAC Rookie of the Year: Luke Baleshta (Plattsburgh)
    Leading rookie scorer in the SUNYAC, 2nd in conference for Power Play Goals, Tied for team in total points, and (Emery loves this) has only taken one penalty all season.

Mid-Season SUNYAC Goalie of the Year: Mathieu Cadieux (Plattsburgh)
    Conference-leader in GAA and Save%. A big win in Oswego with a huge third period in that game. Jared Lockhurt is a close 2nd putting up great numbers (2.01 GAA, .944 Save%) on a mediocre team.

Discuss...
    Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
    2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Re: Sunyac '12-'13

I agree Buff State and Cortland are both better than their records would indicate, That being said I think the two teams that will make the SUNYAC Finals are Oswego and Plattsburgh, and with Oswego already having 2 losses to teams that will be ranked its pretty much a must win for them if they want a really good shot of making the NCAA's for a 4th year straight, I expect Oswego to pull in some talent during the break via transfers, but we shall see.
    http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Ozz.....I must say there isn't one thing in your analysis I can disagree with !! And I'm with you on your forecast for second semester. Well done !!

Comment

Brockport has an extremely good freshman goalie. When he gets healthy for the second semester, I wouldn't be counting the Golden Eagles out of a home playoff spot and pulling some upsets along the way.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          Brockport has an extremely good freshman goalie. When he gets healthy for the second semester, I wouldn't be counting the Golden Eagles out of a home playoff spot and pulling some upsets along the way.
          that would be nice to see...........as long as its not vs Oz,lets say Da Bears

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
            that would be nice to see...........as long as its not vs Oz,lets say Da Bears
            Sadly, that wouldn't be an upset...
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Cortland is the dark horse this year and should make the playoffs. Played Ozz hard and tied Platty. Let's see how the 2nd half plays out.

Comment

Gotta love this !!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Ozz;5574319]With all of the SUNYAC teams halfway through their league schedule, let's take a look/discuss what's transpired so far and what we expect moving forward....

Current Standings
                  Oswego 7-1-0 ~ 14 Pts
                  Plattsburgh 6-1-1 ~ 13 Pts
                  Geneseo 6-1-1 ~ 13 Pts
                  Buff State 3-4-1 ~ 7 Pts
                  Brockport 3-5-0 ~ 6 Pts
                  Fredonia 3-5-0 ~ 6 Pts
                  Potsdam 3-5-0 ~ 6 Pts
                  Cortland 2-5-1 ~ 5 Pts
                  Morrisville 1-7-0 ~ 2 Pts

So far, it looks like business as usual in the SUNYAC. Oswego, Platty, Genny all fighting for the top three spots with the rest of the league pretty bunched up. Of the three tops teams, I think Genny might be the team needing that home-ice and first round bye in the playoffs. Those three teams will likely end up occupying those three spots at the end of the year.

4th through 8th place are seperated by 2 points. The difference between 4th place and 7th place is the difference between your season ending and your team hosting a first round playoff game. Buff State currently holds the 4th spot and with Kevin Carr in net, they would my favorite to hold that 4th spot come the end of the year. I think they have underachieved so far and with their last 5 SUNYAC games at home, I expect them to finish strong. Carr getting hot and stealing a point or two against Platty or Oswego at home could go a long way to helping them stay in 4th.

The next 4 teams (Brockport, Fredonia, Potsdam, Cortland), you can pretty much throw in a hat and pick one out. I think Cortland has shown the most fight of all these teams so far. Having scored 4 goals against both Hobart and Oswego, and another three goals against Platty, this team has shown it can atleast compete with the top teams. I'm picking them to rise amonst these 4 and take the 5th spot.

Morrisville is just over-matched this year. If they could add another year of eligibility to Mr. Relkoff's status, they might be able to compete. They will finish in last this year. That leaves three teams with one playoff spot remaining. Fredonia is 1-6 in the their last 7 games and have only scored 11 goals in those 7 games. A part of me wants to trust Friesen is the best goalie of all three teams, but they have to find a way to score some goals. That being said, I am going to take Friesen. Fredonia will show up to play @ Brockport and home against Potsdam and that will be enough to push them over the edge...barely.

My Predicted Final SUNYAC standings
                  Oswego ~ 30 Pts
                  Plattsburgh ~ 27 Pts
                  Geneseo ~ 24 Pts
                  Buff State ~ 15 Pts
                  Cortland ~ 13 Pts
                  Fredonia ~ 12 Pts
                  Potsdam ~ 11 Pts
                  Brockport ~ 9 Pts
                  Morrisville ~ 3 Pts

Mid-Season SUNYAC Player of the Year: Luke Moodie (Oswego)
                  2nd in the league in points, 2nd in the league in goals, 1st in the league in GWG, and on the first place team.

Mid-Season SUNYAC Coach of the Year: Bob Emery (Plattsburgh)
                  Has overcome a bunch of injuries on defenseand his AA goalie coming in under-prepared and still has his team in 2nd place with a big win on the road against the conference leader.

Mid-Season SUNYAC Rookie of the Year: Luke Baleshta (Plattsburgh)
                  Leading rookie scorer in the SUNYAC, 2nd in conference for Power Play Goals, Tied for team in total points, and (Emery loves this) has only taken one penalty all season.

Mid-Season SUNYAC Goalie of the Year: Mathieu Cadieux (Plattsburgh)
                  Conference-leader in GAA and Save%. A big win in Oswego with a huge third period in that game. Jared Lockhurt is a close 2nd putting up great numbers (2.01 GAA, .944 Save%) on a

Comment

Working...
                  X