Purple Mavericks vs. Red Mavericks 12/14-15 in Omaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple Mavericks vs. Red Mavericks 12/14-15 in Omaha

MSU coming off of a sweep of UAA and UNO splitting with SCSU.

Is the pride of the mavericks or whatever they call that trophy still up for grabs in this series?

Re: Purple Mavericks vs. Red Mavericks 12/14-15 in Omaha

I believe it is The Spirit of the Mavericks Trophy, I assume they still play for it. I am curious if this series will continue every year with the conference realignment. Mankato is coming in looking good, but I think UNO will end their recent success. Should be a good series.

Comment

Two solid teams at this point in the season. Should be a fun one! Will be good to see Hastings back, he should get some cheers, he's a great Omaha guy.

Comment

Uh, Purple Cows vs. Red Cows, if you please.

Pre-1971 this one would have been "Indians" vs. "Indians". Apparently, our two schools aren't satisfied unless one has the same mascot as the other.

Only team we've played every year of our existence.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
          Only team we've played every year of our existence.
          I hope it stays that way too.

I know that Hastings has always had a very good reputation, but he's surpassing my expectations. It's not just that MSU is winning because the cupboard certainly wasn't bare. Anyone that watched MSU last year knew that (as did the coaches as there were rumblings at the end of last year that MSU would be good this year). It's the way that they are playing. The crispness and the mature play has been what's impressed me the most. For the most part, the stupid and retalitory penalties are gone. You don't see the players getting lazy. And you see good passing and playmaking more than any MSU team that I can remember. I'm very happy with the coaching change and his ability to make MSU into a quality program.
          Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Surprised how quickly things changed, particularly with the penalties. The RPI and St. Cloud series still featured the dumb penalties (and the first Minnesota game was blown with penalties at the start of the third period), and then bam! It stopped. The Hayes numbers are remarkable - 19 PIM in the first 6 games, 2 minutes since then. All that said, UNO still has a little more talent, home ice, and they're playing great. A split would be a great result for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
              I hope it stays that way too.

I know that Hastings has always had a very good reputation, but he's surpassing my expectations. It's not just that MSU is winning because the cupboard certainly wasn't bare. Anyone that watched MSU last year knew that (as did the coaches as there were rumblings at the end of last year that MSU would be good this year). It's the way that they are playing. The crispness and the mature play has been what's impressed me the most. For the most part, the stupid and retalitory penalties are gone. You don't see the players getting lazy. And you see good passing and playmaking more than any MSU team that I can remember. I'm very happy with the coaching change and his ability to make MSU into a quality program.
              Agreed.... Completely. Of course I'd have settled for Blais choke slamming Jutting a few years back and taking over the Purple Maverick bench. Hastings is a good pick-up tho. I so wish I could be there for this.
              R.I.P. Anthony Ford...

I officially hate Kevin Buisman

We cannot recommend him however, as a fantasy pick, unless of course you are related to him. (Fri. Dec 22, 2006)
              FOX SPORTS On David Backes
              WHAT!!!???!!?!?!!??

Comment

Id love to see this series continue as well because I think both teams are on their way up. I expect it will too because the new look WCHA will give the Purple a good chance to dominate and be top in the league. Their high pairwise will only benefit UNO, and vise versa as well.

Now if someone would just put up some cash and make this an outdoor game at The Blake Ill be truly happy.
                All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

IMO one of Hastings strengths is his ability to game plan for his opponent. The purple Mavs really handcuffed the Beavers and Seawolves with a serious defensive shutdown. It will be interesting to see what he game plans against his old team.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                    Id love to see this series continue as well because I think both teams are on their way up. I expect it will too because the new look WCHA will give the Purple a good chance to dominate and be top in the league. Their high pairwise will only benefit UNO, and vise versa as well.

Now if someone would just put up some cash and make this an outdoor game at The Blake Ill be truly happy.
                    I'd love to see it continue because Mankato is only a 300 mile drive, making you guys the closest D-1 hockey school to us that there is. Easy drive to get there.

What's the Blake?

Comment

I'd love to see it continue because Mankato is only a 300 mile drive, making you guys the closest D-1 hockey school to us that there is. Easy drive to get there.

What's the Blake?
                      Our historic football field. I doubt this would ever happen as that facility is in dire need of updates. MN State needs to address their current attendance issues before planning any showcase event. With that being said, I would love to see MN State play an outdoor game.

Comment

A split is absolutely necessary. Period.
                        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                          A split is absolutely necessary. Period.
                          UNO has not lost on a Friday night this season.

By the way, I have driven through Spicer on many occasions on the way to and from St. Cloud (my mom's family is from there). What a beautiful little town, right there on Green Lake. My wife's parents have friends that live there, too. It looks like one of those places you wouldn't have to twist my arm very hard to live in. It's also one of the places I've gotten a ticket in Minnesota, right on the north side of town, southbound, from the Minnesota Highway Patrol.

As sweep by either team this weekend would be huge for the team that did it.

How we ended up having to play the two hottest teams in college hockey, by a ton, in consecutive series, I don't know. UNO goes to Quinnipiac after playing you guys:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012121...treaking-teams

Comment

UNO has not lost on a Friday night this season.

By the way, I have driven through Spicer on many occasions on the way to and from St. Cloud (my mom's family is from there). What a beautiful little town, right there on Green Lake. My wife's parents have friends that live there, too. It looks like one of those places you wouldn't have to twist my arm very hard to live in. It's also one of the places I've gotten a ticket in Minnesota, right on the north side of town, southbound, from the Minnesota Highway Patrol.

As sweep by either team this weekend would be huge for the team that did it.

How we ended up having to play the two hottest teams in college hockey, by a ton, in consecutive series, I don't know. UNO goes to Quinnipiac after playing you guys:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2012121...treaking-teams
                            You know they do say, Spicer is nicer! I met a poster on here awhile back on the lake.. SCSU guy, Weldie. Spicer is gorgeous. For not being extremely far north, the lake is crystal clear; absolutely beautiful.

I know many of the cops here, both county and MN State trooper. Actually very good friends with one of the state guys.

There is a stretch where it goes from 55 to 45 right before you hit town, often a speed trap!

For me I'm just stating how important I feel taking two points is. We're now 9-0-2 against teams "we should beat" and 1-5-0 against teams who "should beat us." It's time to prove if these guys are for real or not, against a WCHA foe that has had an excellent start to their year.
                            Last edited by MavHockey14; 12-12-2012, 02:40 AM.
                            AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Nothing new to add, just want to get the thread marked for easy following.
                              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Working...
                              X