Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will get the 4th home ice spot in Hockey East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will get the 4th home ice spot in Hockey East?

So right now we have BC, UNH, BU and then a bunch of mediocrity to flat out horrendousness. The rules of HE state, however, that there must be 4 schools hosting a home quarterfinal playoff series in March. So who you got?

I would have to say that PC is the favorite, because they are currently in 4th and because they have the best goalie of the teams 4-10 IMO. What scares me about picking the Friars however, is that guys like Mauermann and Schaller haven't had the kind offensive seasons that they were supposed to and Jankowski has been hurt.

UMass has a shot because their top 6 forwards have been scoring, Boyle's had a nice year in net and they always play well at home. I still think we'll hear from UML before the season is done. Its not as though they have raw talent who can't seem to put it together. They have guys who have put up numbers in the past and you have to think they will start to play better. And Carr isn't going to have a 90% SP all year.
    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Re: Who will get the 4th home ice spot in Hockey East?

I'm going to go ahead and give the nod to UM-Amherst. While they have proven to be streaky with losses to UML (2-8)and providence (0-4), they nearly beat BC (L 4-5 OT) and played BC tight again with a 2-3 loss. They managed to beat UNH, UNH's sole loss so far. The Quinnipiac tie is nothing to scoff at either. From my perspective Umass seems to be able to compete with anyone provided they put in the effort. They seem to play up against strong opponents but turn around and get demolished by weaker teams. It might be all mental for them. Either way they've shown enough to me that they can hang with the top 3 BC, UNH, BU. UM-amherst still has a game to play with yale where a win could state a lot about their ability. They will also meet the top 3 several more times this season.

Providence is also an option. They have 2 OT losses against a good Miami team but that doesn't exactly make a convincing argument for them. They lost to Quinnipiac, a team Umass tied, and haven't had the chance to really test out the higher echelon of hockey east. Wins against Maine and Vermont, while splitting with Merrimack firmly plants them in the 4-6 range. We'll see how they play against BC friday as York attempts to set the wins record.

Umass-lowell had a very tough opening schedule. They had Denver and CC (whom they beat), BC x2 and UNH x3. they've proven they cannot compete with UNH and BC. If they can take 2/3 from BU and continue to beat other hockey east teams then they could receive 4th spot. It is just tough to measure their ability due to their strong schedule. Either way UM-L has no shot of making a splash in the NCAA tournament. They consistently lose to top 10 teams.

Northeastern-
    Seemed talented on paper but execution is lacking. Impressive win against BC but that's it (Unless you want to weigh in on the UNH tie).

UVM- yeah, no

Maine- No Chance

Comment

for a while i was on the UMass bandwagon and they may still get 4th but PC is in the discussion and even though i already had buried them, perhaps the Riverhawks are not dead yet either, so,one of those three

Comment

It'll be either UMass, PC, or Lowell. No chance it'll be anyone else.
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Maine. During the break, they'll fire Timmay and hire Jimmay.

Comment

My money is on UMass

Comment

Hockey East cancels the QFs and moves straight to the Semis. The bottom 7 teams will combine rosters and make one superteam coached by Pooley, Crowder, and Army.

Comment

not us..! as host or visitor.
                GO NU HOCKEY
                Always bullish on the future.
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I've got a sneaking suspicion that Lowell isn't the least bit done. I'd be very surprised if they didn't have a great second half.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                    Hockey East cancels the QFs and moves straight to the Semis. The bottom 7 teams will combine rosters and make one superteam coached by Pooley, Crowder, and Army.
                    And...lets play it at Fenway! Because EVERYONE loves outdoor hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                      I blame the Mayans.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                      -Blackadder
                      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                      -Casablanca
                      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Notre Dame-sel in distress.
                        sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                          And...lets play it at Fenway! Because EVERYONE loves outdoor hockey.
                          No. Keep it in the Garden, but remove the roof.

Comment

Looking at the teams in contention for that 4th spot, Providence certainly proved the most this weekend with the impressive tie against BC. UMass lost twice at home to Colgate, so while those were OOC, that causes me to re-evaluate them. Defensively Lowell looked good on Saturday, but they were playing Fire Peter Roby University, so take that with a grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                            X