Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educate me please

Newbie here.

What % of Div 1 Womens players get a full ride?
    What % get something?

Div III?

Re: Educate me please

Originally posted by backyardhockey View Post
    Newbie here.

What % of Div 1 Womens players get a full ride?
    What % get something?

Div III?
    D3 can't get scholarships
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Not an easy question to answer as the amounts of players scholarship money is not public information. It can be approximated though.

There are 26 schools that are able to provide D1 scholarships. (Union, RIT, Ivies and Independants excluded)
      Each of these schools are able to provide no more then 18 Full Scholarships but they may be divvied up amongst some or all of the team's roster. A team does not have to offer all 18 out but they cannot exceed 18. If a team carries 24 players and there are 18 full schollys give then on average each player will receive a 2/3rd Partial. that doesn't happen as some players will receive Fulls and some only 1/3 or 1/2 scholarships. It depends on the team and their policies. The fact that they are most often divvied up makes it difficult to determine how many players are in fact getting full rides and how many are getting partials as teams do not release that info.

D3 schools offer 0 full or part scholarships as they are not permitted at the D3 level.
      ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Anyway of knowing if the school gives out all 18 scholarships or if they give out less ?

Comment

Originally posted by kiphockey View Post
          Anyway of knowing if the school gives out all 18 scholarships or if they give out less ?
          Which school?

Comment

The other factor that muddies the water a bit in regard to scholarship schools is the money players receive for performance in the classroom - Academic scholarships. As I understand the process, a program will exhaust all other available monies before allocating athletic money. It may be that no one on a roster of 24 student - athletes is paying for school, but there may not be any that have a full athletic scholly.
            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
              The other factor that muddies the water a bit in regard to scholarship schools is the money players receive for performance in the classroom - Academic scholarships. As I understand the process, a program will exhaust all other available monies before allocating athletic money. It may be that no one on a roster of 24 student - athletes is paying for school, but there may not be any that have a full athletic scholly.
              Couple other points as far as I understand them (please correct me if I am wrong):

1. Total athletic scholarship money available to award = (out of state tuition, room, board and some fees) x 18. This means state schools recruiting in-state players have an advantage and arguably "extra" money.

2. If a school awards any athletic money to an athlete, then academic or non-need based "merit" money counts as athletic money. If a school does not award athletic money, then academic or merit money does not count as athletic money. Financial need based aid does not count as athletic money in any case.

3. If a player signs an NLI, they must have received at least $1 of athletic money. In other words, if a player gets no athletic money, they don't sign an NLI (Ivys, DIIIs included).

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                Couple other points as far as I understand them (please correct me if I am wrong):

1. Total athletic scholarship money available to award = (out of state tuition, room, board and some fees) x 18. This means state schools recruiting in-state players have an advantage and arguably "extra" money.

2. If a school awards any athletic money to an athlete, then academic or non-need based "merit" money counts as athletic money. If a school does not award athletic money, then academic or merit money does not count as athletic money. Financial need based aid does not count as athletic money in any case.

3. If a player signs an NLI, they must have received at least $1 of athletic money. In other words, if a player gets no athletic money, they don't sign an NLI (Ivys, DIIIs included).
                I don't know if this holds true for all state schools, as I have heard of several that figure athletic awards as "out of state" regardless of whether they are in state students.

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                  D3 can't get scholarships
                  D3 can't specifically give out "ATHLETIC" scholarships. WINK WINK

Comment

Originally posted by kiphockey View Post
                    Ask the coach.

It might be an uncomfortable topic for a recruit to ask, but it's better to have the discussion early in the process than let it linger. Your bargaining position may be improved if you have offers from other schools, and if you're comfortable walking away from school A's offer. Coach may or may not have wiggle room, and hopefully s/he is up front about it. If you don't trust the coach to give an honest answer, you better shop around. I've heard a few coaches say they like to reward the players that stick with their program by upping their scholarship amount as years go on. So a quarter scholarship offer may get you in the door; maybe it would be a 100% by senior year. I definitely wouldn't assume this. Discuss with the Coach, and be thankful & respectful of any offer they give you.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cali;5567738]Which school?[/QUOTE
                      Any or all schools, just wondering if all D1 that can do give 18

Comment

]D3 can't get scholarships
                        Is it 18 scholarships per year? Because if that's the case, then theoretically there are plenty for everyone.

Comment

[QUOTE=kiphockey;5567881]
                          Originally posted by Cali View Post
                          Which school?[/QUOTE
                          Any or all schools, just wondering if all D1 that can do give 18
                          It really depends upon the school and where their budgets lie and probably also where they sit vis a vis Title IX. And another issue exists on D1 start ups. I don't know for sure but I would imagine that Penn State did not use their full allotment this year as they need to stagger their roster and that will take a full 4 years to accomplish. Best bet is to contact the AD for an exact answer, assuming they will provide it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeysbest View Post
                            ]D3 can't get scholarships
                            Is it 18 scholarships per year? Because if that's the case, then theoretically there are plenty for everyone.
                            It is not 18 NEW ones each year, it is 18 TOTAL each year. You will have graduating Seniors or transfers out that will determine how many Fulls (ie how much money) you are able to allocate every year. Depending on the number that are coming off the books, it will probably be a different number each year. Also remember that technically a players scholarship is only guaranteed for one year. That means that a 100% Freshman might find themselves only receiving 75% as a Sophmore, depending on the Coach's evaluation. In practice a coach won't mess around too much with that as it is a pretty small community and a coach's (read Programs) reputation is at play, but it still remains a possibility

Comment

Working...
                            X