Ohio State vs RIT 12/8 - 12/9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs RIT 12/8 - 12/9

The first thing that I noticed about this series was the Saturday/Sunday scheduling instead of the usual Friday/Saturday matchups. I'm not sure if this is due to the men being home Friday or the Football Celebration Event in St. John Arena Friday night. I suspect it's the latter rather than the former based on the amount of persons who will probably attend the event in St. John Arena. In looking at the two common opponents (Princeton and North Dakota), RIT was swept on the road at North Dakota but did play them tough in the first game. Ohio State played North Dakota earlier in the season at home and was able to get a split. We won the opener Friday, but North Dakota came back and won Saturday's game. One other thing of note, North Dakota did not have Michele Karvinen when we played them. The other common opponent was Princeton. RIT played one game against Princeton and lost (forgot if it was a home game or at Princeton). Ohio State was at Princeton a couple weeks ago and split, winning Friday, but dropping Saturday's game. Since this is a non-league series, I am guessing you will see Chelsea Knapp in net on Friday and Lisa Steffes in net on Saturday. Chelsea has been solid this season. Lisa has started in the past and is also a solid goaltender. This year we do not have one or two superstars. You won't see a Natalie Spooner or a Laura McIntosh on this year's team, but what you will see is scoring by committee. We are getting scoring from a number of players this season, and with a year under their belts with the new system, the girls all know what to expect and how Coach Handrahan and his staff want them to approach situations on the ice. The kids all play hard and they don't give up on the puck. I look for this to be a tough series as I am sure RIT will bring their A game to Columbus. RIT fans, tell us a little bit about your team and what we can expect this weekend.

Re: Ohio State vs RIT 12/8 - 12/9

Mrs. Cali and I are making the 6+ hour trek to Columbus this weekend and we look forward to the trip. Hopefully RIT recovers from their 8-2 thrashing at the hands of UND last weekend. RIT seems to be struggling with the backend of their doubleheaders as in almost every instance they have fared worse in the final game compared to the opener. I don't think it is their physical fitness level, but it might be mental fitness or perhaps either good coaching on their opponents part or being taken too lightly in the opener. We will see how they fare against OSU.
    ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
      Mrs. Cali and I are making the 6+ hour trek to Columbus this weekend and we look forward to the trip. Hopefully RIT recovers from their 8-2 thrashing at the hands of UND last weekend. RIT seems to be struggling with the backend of their doubleheaders as in almost every instance they have fared worse in the final game compared to the opener. I don't think it is their physical fitness level, but it might be mental fitness or perhaps either good coaching on their opponents part or being taken too lightly in the opener. We will see how they fare against OSU.
      Have a safe trip down!

Comment

Is RIT using a goalie rotation? Or are we likely to see the same keeper for both games?

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          Is RIT using a goalie rotation? Or are we likely to see the same keeper for both games?
          Up until now, both goalies have been used in a rotation with no pattern as to who gets the first game and who gets the second. Also, both goalies have been pulled from one game each this season.

My opinion is that they are both playing quite well right now and I will say that even with the results of this past weekend. In the 8-2 loss, both let in 4 goals and Binner looked great in the first. The floodgates opened and she couldn't be faulted on any of the goals.

My guess, and this is only a guess, would be that each will start one game this weekend as has been the pattern.
          ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Appreciate the reply. You did a good job of reading between the lines; I was wondering if one goalie was stronger than the other, perhaps due to more experience, etc. Instead, it sounds like they're more or less equal partners. I look forward to seeing both perform.

Comment

Appreciate the reply. You did a good job of reading between the lines; I was wondering if one goalie was stronger than the other, perhaps due to more experience, etc. Instead, it sounds like they're more or less equal partners. I look forward to seeing both perform.
              Pgb, I am guessing we will use both of our goalies as well. I know these non-league series are important, too, but we have to find a way to get Lisa Steffes some work in case she is needed down the road. Having said that, I think Chelsea Knapp has been very good this season. We wouldn't be where we are at this point if it wasn't for the goaltending of Chelsea Knapp. That, and the good defensive play in front of her. Oh, and let's not forget about the hard work on the offensive end of the ice and the timely goal-scoring! Yeah, it's been a team effort for our Buckeyes this season!
              Last edited by osualum86; 12-05-2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I hope Ohio State is ready and doesn't oerlook RIT. The Tigers were tough last friday against UND! I think the same might happen in this series

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA WOMEN'S HOCKEY

WCHA Regular Season Champions:
                WCHA Playoff Champions:
                NCAA Tournament Appearances: 2012
                NCAA Championships:

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Reg...005/story.html

Comment

I doubt any "wake-up call" is needed. But if so, we got it at Princeton.

While the WCHA remains the top league, it would be a mistake to assume that there's a large gap between us and the others. Also, teams from the other leagues no doubt use games against WCHA teams as a measuring stick for their own progress. In other words, the nonconference opponent is going to be focused and ready to go. If you make the mistake of coming out flat, you've got an immediate problem on your hands.

By all accounts RIT is a fine team, capable of giving anybody a good game. So we definitely need to "bring it" for the full 60 minutes.

Question For RIT Fans: Does the Women's Team get the same style of support that the Men's Team gets? At the 2010 Men's FF in Detroit, the RIT student section was fully engaged, loud, proud and funny. A number of them even ventured to the USCHO Posters' Game we held at Yost, bringing some of the same enthusiasm with them. Any chance we'll be treated to that this weekend in Columbus?

Comment

Question For RIT Fans: Does the Women's Team get the same style of support that the Men's Team gets? At the 2010 Men's FF in Detroit, the RIT student section was fully engaged, loud, proud and funny. A number of them even ventured to the USCHO Posters' Game we held at Yost, bringing some of the same enthusiasm with them. Any chance we'll be treated to that this weekend in Columbus?
                    Highly unlikely. The Frozen Four was a bit of a special case and attracted a lot of students. If there is an orange-clad crowd in Columbus, it will be primarily alumni, and indeed primarily alumni who don't go to a lot of games in Rochester. Unless RIT is holding an Ohio-area alumni event, though, I wouldn't expect more than a handful of RIT fans.

RIT's game against Princeton was in Rochester, and it is a game that RIT could have (and perhaps should have) won. RIT outplayed Princeton for long stretches, but they struggled to score on their numerous opportunities, and gave up scores quickly on Princeton's fewer opportunities. That, I think, reflects an understandable individual talent gap moreso than a gap in training, effort, teamwork, or coaching.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                      Highly unlikely. The Frozen Four was a bit of a special case and attracted a lot of students. If there is an orange-clad crowd in Columbus, it will be primarily alumni, and indeed primarily alumni who don't go to a lot of games in Rochester. Unless RIT is holding an Ohio-area alumni event, though, I wouldn't expect more than a handful of RIT fans.
                      Makes sense. I wasn't holding out a lot of hope; it would be a fair distance to go -- especially for a nonconference series. As much as anything, I just wanted to mention that the RIT fanbase had made a good impression in the past.

I will say that the games are set up nicely for a quick trip. No need to leave before Saturday morning; the Saturday game is at 7:00 PM. One night's worth of lodging; then back on the ice at 2:00 PM Sunday. Home before midnight. Hope at least a few RIT people are able to make it!

RIT's game against Princeton was in Rochester, and it is a game that RIT could have (and perhaps should have) won. RIT outplayed Princeton for long stretches, but they struggled to score on their numerous opportunities, and gave up scores quickly on Princeton's fewer opportunities. That, I think, reflects an understandable individual talent gap moreso than a gap in training, effort, teamwork, or coaching.

Powers &8^]
                      RIT isn't the only team that struggles to score against Princeton.

Comment

RIT isn't the only team that struggles to score against Princeton.
                        No argument from me on this! I think we have gotten our "wake-up call" already this season. If we want to be successful this weekend, we'll have to score goals. We will need solid games from our goalies and blueliners, too, which I am sure we will get. Cannot wait to get to the OSU Ice Rink Saturday and Sunday!

Comment

Found out I need to pack the skates for Sunday! They're having a postgame skate after Sunday's game.

Comment

The three stars for Saturday's game are complete and posted. As usual, they can be found on the WCHA thread. Great job tonight, Buckeyes!

Comment

Any OSU fans out there to give us the run down of the game?
                              Any news on why Schlattman wasn't dressed? Big blow to the line up without her in there for the Tigers.

Let's go girls, bring home the W today!
                              RIT TIGERS
                              2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X