PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Green Hockey (From the Floor to the Final Four...back to the floor, Falcon A)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

blackswampboy
03-25-2013, 06:40 PM
congrats to Greg Christopher on taking over as AD at Xavier.
leaves a very tough position to fill for BGSU.

BG_Falcons
03-26-2013, 12:53 PM
What are you basing this from? Simply going by playing time?

Looking at the history of BG over the last few years (Since I enrolled), there have been around 2-4 departures a year early for whatever reason. 2008-2009 was extreme because of the unknown future about the program and all of the people who left in 2010-2011 where either Freshman or Sophomores. With a decent amount of people said to be joining for next season I figured a couple skaters would be leaving, unless we start redshirting a bunch of incoming Freshman but that's not a normal thing to do.

2011-2012: Ian Ruel (winter break), Max Grover, Mike Fink, Wyatt Galley

2010-2011: Jordan Samuels-Thomas (Quinnipiac), Jerry Freismuth, Mike Montrose, Reed Rushing, Nathan Pageau

2009-2010: Bryan Pottacco

2008-2009: Dan Sexton (Anahiem Ducks), Nick Bailen (RPI), Todd McIlrath, Patrick Tiesling (Miami), Jacob Cepis (Minnesota), Russ Sinkewich (Winter Break), Tim Maxwell, Dean Petoit

ps. I'm not hoping for anyone to leave I really like the team chemistry they have now and the incoming freshman should add some more scoring depth and size but I just don't see how it's going to work out if we have more people incoming then leaving because our roster was already one of the largest in the league, I think the only nWCHA team with a larger roster was Michigan Tech.

and they seem like likely canidates do to their diminished roles this last season with Tate, Murphy, and Cooper playing so well as Freshman and Sumsion always playing hard, and the incoming freshman this season (Dufour and Hawkins) seem like replacements for Pletsch and Viselli but I'm not saying that they will leave.

BG_Falcons
03-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Congrats to Sean Walker for committing to BGSU for next season

Vitals:

Sean Walker, D, Newmarket Hurricanes, OJHL
5-10 185
3g, 24a, 27pts in 63 games

BG_Falcons
03-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Might as well, BGSU Recruiting Update.

Commitments:

Mark Friedman, D, Waterloo Blackhawks (USHL), 56 games 8g 22a (30pts), 34pim (+12)
5-10 180

Tomas Sholl, G, Fresno Monsters (NAHL), 30 games, 9-14-4, 3.16 GAA .909 SV%
6-1 175

Reed Whiteside, D, Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL), 10 games, 0g 1a (1pt) 0pim (-4)
6-0 185 Bismarck Bobcats (NAHL), 7 games 0g 2a (2pts) 2pim, (-2)

Brett D'Andrea, C/F, Port Huron Fighting Falcons (NAHL), 44 games 11g 11a (22pts) 24pim (+8)
6-1 185

Matthew Pohlkamp, RW/F, Fargo Force (USHL) 30 games 4g 6a (10pts) 4pim (-7)
6-1 194 Bismarck Bobcats (NAHL) 10 games 2g 4a (6pts) 6pim (+6)

Ryan Coulter, LW/F, Culver Military Academy Indiana (USHS) Stats not available
5-11 187

Connor McDonald, F/D, Ohio Blue Jackets U18 (MWEHL), 62 games 10g 17a (27pts) 59pim
6-1 181

Brandon Hawkins, F, Texas Tornado (NAHL), 51 games 32g 22a (54pts) 64pim (+22)
5-11 201

Kevin Dufour, F, Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL), 57 games 26g 32a (58pts) 14pim
5-11 186

Chris Nell, G, Chicago Steel (USHL), 22 games, 5-10-2, 3.55 GAA .894 SV%
6-1 192

Sean Walker, D, Newmarket Hurricanes (OJHL), 63 games 3g 24a (27pts)
5-10 185

BGFan
03-27-2013, 11:36 AM
That should be "good riddance to Greg Christopher". It was he who nearly succeeded in shutting down the program. Had someone from the inside not leaked that out to certain key individuals we wouldn't be on here talking about the future of the program. He should've been let go following that debacle.

BG_Falcons
03-27-2013, 12:28 PM
That should be "good riddance to Greg Christopher". It was he who nearly succeeded in shutting down the program. Had someone from the inside not leaked that out to certain key individuals we wouldn't be on here talking about the future of the program. He should've been let go following that debacle.

Kevin Bieksa stated in an interview that he's endorsing Falcon great Gary Galley as the next AD. I say let it be done.

blackswampboy
03-27-2013, 12:42 PM

debacle, it was. but there was plenty of blame to go round, starting with ribeau, cartwright, and the trustees. christopher wasn't responsible for the budget crisis and years of program neglect.
he also hired bergeron, and the program is now headed in the right direction. I wish him success.
I also don't envy whoever gets the job.

blackswampboy
03-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Kevin Bieksa stated in an interview that he's endorsing Falcon great Gary Galley as the next AD. I say let it be done.

no disrespect to the great Garry Galley, but AD is a beancounter job. and BG's AD job has to be one of the toughest in the country--trying to maintain DI football, DI hoops, DI hockey and the rest with low revenues and low expenditures... wouldn't wish that job on my dog.

BGFan
03-27-2013, 01:52 PM
debacle, it was. but there was plenty of blame to go round, starting with ribeau, cartwright, and the trustees. christopher wasn't responsible for the budget crisis and years of program neglect.
he also hired bergeron, and the program is now headed in the right direction. I wish him success.
I don't disagree with that, entirely. Cartwright, however, can be credited with saving the program. She took the time to listen when she didn't have to. She put the wheels in motion to save the program (it was literally days away from being cut). FWIW, there were donations made to the program that, somehow (Ribeau/Christopher, likely) got re-earmarked to other projects. These donations came from former players who got wind of the redirection, got that word out to other former Falcon greats, causing future donations from these deep pocketed players to dry up. There was also 4 million dollars ear-marked for arena renovations that mysteriously disappeared. Put a man like Gary Galley in place and things like that won't happen. Trust is slowly being re-established, but it takes time.

blackswampboy
04-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Id like to thank the city of Toledo and Bowling Green State University for putting on such a fine event, he said. As the guys have talked about, from the time that weve stepped into town, its been nothing but a class act. Theyve really made us feel at home and we thank you. --Minny State coach Mike Hastings

too bad the tickets weren't cheaper. I bought tickets to Bob Dylan at the Stroh instead. :cool:

BG_Falcons
04-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Id like to thank the city of Toledo and Bowling Green State University for putting on such a fine event, he said. As the guys have talked about, from the time that weve stepped into town, its been nothing but a class act. Theyve really made us feel at home and we thank you. --Minny State coach Mike Hastings

too bad the tickets weren't cheaper. I bought tickets to Bob Dylan at the Stroh instead. :cool:

yeah heard tickets kept a lot of people away, if I still lived in the area I would have been working and enjoying a helping of press box food.

pdt1081
04-02-2013, 05:16 PM
It actually goes back to the 80's when the department was riding the hockey team's success and funneling money to other programs. Then the donation fiasco happened. Mr Fundraiser embarrassed himself at the hockey golf outing (which he previously tried to eliminate). He allowed the program's future to remain uncertain for far too long.

He also dislikes hockey. President Mazey attended more games this season than Christopher did during his entire stay at BG. After one of the schools dropped hockey (can't remember which one) he was overheard as saying "One down, 59 more to go.".

BG_Falcons
04-13-2013, 08:15 PM
BGSU signs Port Huron Falcon (NAHL) Forward Tyler Spezia from Clinton Township, Michigan

Tyler Spezia (1993)
5-11 170
NAHL stats 18 games, 9 goals, 11 assists (20 points)
USHL stats 23 games, 4 goals, 2 assists (6 points)

joining current Falcon teammate Brett D'Andrea as Future Falcons.

BG_Falcons
05-08-2013, 12:53 AM
Recruit News and Misc. Things

Recruits: Falcons add six in signing period http://www.bgsufalcons.com/news/2013/4/8/HOCKEY_0408131938.aspx

Brandon Hawkins, Kevin Dufour, Brett D'Andrea, Sean Walker, Tyler Spezia, and Chris Nell have all signed their LOI.

Also confirmed in the article are the players that are incoming next season, Kevin Dufour and Sean Walker from the most recent signing period along with Tomas Sholl and Mark Friedman from the fall period, as well as Matt Polhkamp from the 2012 class.

More recruit news:

Brandon Hawkins was taken 4th overall in the USHL Draft
Connor McDonald was taken 27th overall in the USHL Draft
Tyler Spezia was taken in the 14th round of the USHL Draft

Misc.

Ralfs Freibergs is currently playing for the Latvian National team at the IIHF World Championships.

gfmorris
05-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Looking forward to y'all being down here in January. It's not so bad, that drive from Huntsville to BG. It sure beats the heck out of Bemidji.

GFM <— will let you disparage AD Christopher all you wish, but his voice was one of those putting us in the league.