Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bowling Green Hockey (From the Floor to the Final Four...back to the floor, Falcon A)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bowling Green Hockey (From the Floor to the Final Four...back to the floor, Falco

BGSU Defeats Michigan State 2-1 at the BGSU Ice Arena

Goal Scorers are Ben Murphy and Ryan Carpenter
    Winning Goalie is Tommy Burke

Carpenter extends his points streak to 13 straight games.

Carpy Dueces for Hobey!
    Bring Back the Glory...

1984 NCAA National Champions
    2 members of the "Miracle on Ice" 1980 Hockey Team

Comment

Re: Bowling Green Hockey (From the Floor to the Final Four...back to the floor, Falco

We need to complete the sweep to pull away from the teams behind us. Hopefully OSU can take care of business at Alaska tonight so we can gain some ground on them. A sweep by BG and a sweep by OSU will put us only 1 point behind Alaska for 6th place and we have 2 games in hand on them. Ferris State next weekend will be a tough series!

Comment

it weren't pretty, but we'll take it.

and attendance over 3000 again, at 3436. the buzz is coming back.
        but what's with all the hokey in-game promotions? seems like more every week. is all that necessary to get people out to the game? bah.
        Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
          it weren't pretty, but we'll take it.

and attendance over 3000 again, at 3436. the buzz is coming back.
          but what's with all the hokey in-game promotions? seems like more every week. is all that necessary to get people out to the game? bah.
          Promotions may slow down the game but they are a great thing. Yes they help get students out to the game but having some many promotions shows interest from the local businesses and that is just as important to an athletic department. If promotions bring people out to the game than that just brings in more money straight into BGSU Athletics pocket as well as increasing the chances of those businesses to increase involvement through sponsorships and more free stuff for the University/Athletic Department/Fans, being able to offer a lot of promotions that people want and that increase traffic to businesses in the community are very necessary.

In 2008 when I was a freshman their was no buzz/no promo and the hockey team was almost killed off compared to now and December when I graduated it is amazing the turnaround.

I have a BSE in Sports Management from BG and used to work in the Media Relations/Sports Information department and worked next to Marketing a bit while I was a student and when I was an Intern at Owens CC for their Athletics a lot of my work was working with businesses for promotions. More promo the better.
          Bring Back the Glory...

Comment

well...I can understand your POV, with your background.

but call me a purist, the promotions are veering toward overload. the zamboni guy has to park and wait while folks play for their free pizza.
            in the glory days the place was packed to the rafters without all the gimmicks...courtesy of good hockey.
            yes, 2008 was rock bottom for BGSU hockey, a disaster on every front. since then they've done a lot of good things to bring the program back from the dead--first and foremost saving the building from collapse. oh yeah, and hiring Bergeron helped. promotions are a bit further down the list of improvements.

but I digress.
            with the return of good hockey, the fans will come back...with or without chances to play for loot.

Comment

well...I can understand your POV, with your background.

but call me a purist, the promotions are veering toward overload. the zamboni guy has to park and wait while folks play for their free pizza.
              in the glory days the place was packed to the rafters without all the gimmicks...courtesy of good hockey.
              yes, 2008 was rock bottom for BGSU hockey, a disaster on every front. since then they've done a lot of good things to bring the program back from the dead--first and foremost saving the building from collapse. oh yeah, and hiring Bergeron helped. promotions are a bit further down the list of improvements.

but I digress.
              with the return of good hockey, the fans will come back...with or without chances to play for loot.
              No sh*t of course that's more important,

also it would help if we had a competent Ice Crew who could keep the Visitor net in place if a breeze happens and could have both Zamboni's functioning at the same time, that would also be nice and if both are running they could run both at once like a lot of rinks do, it would be nice to have the ice cleaned up completely after intermission and not have to have visiting players help push it off the ice so they can warm up. I think it could be argued that BG has some of the worst ice in the country. You know what helps keep those(that one) Zamboni(s) running (as best as it can) though, promotion with Time Warner Cable.
              Bring Back the Glory...

Comment

I disagree on the ice and the Zamboni. Both the ice making equipment and Zamboni have been replaced. The current Zamboni was purchased last summer. The old one is simply there as a back up if needed which has always been the case. The ice making equipment (compressors, etc.) was completely replaced two years ago.

Promotions are no more commonplace than not. We've been to several arenas the past few years and they're all doing it. There are 15 minutes between periods, it gives the fans something to do in that time and I have no problem with it whatsoever.

Comment

yes, promotions have been around for a while. they are also increasing. last night--for the first time that I recall--they actually started the grocery race off to the side while still cleaning up center ice from the puck toss. they've also started running frozen teeshirt contests out onto the ice during the "media timeouts". if they'd only get rid of the "media timeouts", they wouldn't have to fill them with events, lol.

listen, had no idea that you majored in promotions, and didn't mean to offend. but let's be clear: the buzz is because the team is playing well, not due to the carnival atmosphere.

go falcons!
                  Last edited by blackswampboy; 02-09-2013, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Falcons View Post
                    also it would help if we had a competent Ice Crew who could keep the Visitor net in place if a breeze happens and could have both Zamboni's functioning at the same time, that would also be nice and if both are running they could run both at once like a lot of rinks do, it would be nice to have the ice cleaned up completely after intermission and not have to have visiting players help push it off the ice so they can warm up.
                    yah, that net. had kinda hoped that the million-dollar ice renovations would take care of that...but no... it still comes off in a breeze, just like the renovations never happened.

Comment

yah, that net. had kinda hoped that the million-dollar ice renovations would take care of that...but no... it still comes off in a breeze, just like the renovations never happened.
                      Seriously it should be a recorded stat of how many times that net comes off per game...heck even per period would probably be more than most teams in a whole season...
                      Bring Back the Glory...

Comment

I was walking laps inside the ice arena one day, and just as I passed the concession stands at the north end I sneezed.
                        The net came off.
                        Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Fun times we beat
                          MSU on Friday and one of our big name commits Thomas Ebbing decides to de-commit to BGSU and go to MSU...

Oh well Go Green...Go Suck an Egg
                          Bring Back the Glory...

Comment

Fun times we beat
                            MSU on Friday and one of our big name commits Thomas Ebbing decides to de-commit to BGSU and go to MSU...

Ebbing was a big-name recruit with 11-8-19 in 36 USHL games as an 18 year old?

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                              I was walking laps inside the ice arena one day, and just as I passed the concession stands at the north end I sneezed.
                              The net came off.
                              FTW . Nicely played.

Comment

Fun times we beat

Don't worry. The MAC can steal from the Big Ten too. See: ccha second leading scorer

Thanks sparty

Comment

Working...
                                X