Showcase Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showcase Hockey

I've heard from some coaches that showcases are a GREAT(?) way to be seen and evaluated. I have also heard they are a money grab, just another tournament and often few if any recruiters show up, and they give invites to fill out the teams.

My feeling is some are worthwhile and some not. Which ones those are or if any are is a large unknown. What has been anyone's experience or information regarding showcase hockey?

Re: Showcase Hockey

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    I've heard from some coaches that showcases are a GREAT(?) way to be seen and evaluated. I have also heard they are a money grab, just another tournament and often few if any recruiters show up, and they give invites to fill out the teams.

My feeling is some are worthwhile and some not. Which ones those are or if any are is a large unknown. What has been anyone's experience or information regarding showcase hockey?
    Two that I am aware of that are very value-added. Pretty good coach representation at Div 1 and Div 3 levels both as coaches in the showcase and as observers/evaluators (your daughter needs to tell the coaches of schools she is interested in that she is going to be there - hopefully that was self-evident).

- Rinksport Boston
    - NAHA College Showcase

Also, the Beantown Classic is a tournament, not a showcase, but you can sign up as an individual player and get assigned to a team. This may put a player at something of a disadvantage against teams that play together all of the time but at least she will be seen because tons of coaches go to this one.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
      Two that I am aware of that are very value-added. Pretty good coach representation at Div 1 and Div 3 levels both as coaches in the showcase and as observers/evaluators (your daughter needs to tell the coaches of schools she is interested in that she is going to be there - hopefully that was self-evident).

- Rinksport Boston
      - NAHA College Showcase

Also, the Beantown Classic is a tournament, not a showcase, but you can sign up as an individual player and get assigned to a team. This may put a player at something of a disadvantage against teams that play together all of the time but at least she will be seen because tons of coaches go to this one.
      Not sure if it still runs every spring, but my daughter was noticed (and contacted) by college teams from the cha and wcha when she attended the Shattuck St Mary's showcase in her junior year of high school. She was not a super star, but a decent consistent player.

As HockeyEast states, your daughter needs to express interest to the schools by contacting them via email, introduce herself, attach a player profile, and a season schedule (including tournaments). Very important that the player, rather than the parent, makes contact.

That said, SSM showcase is no NAHA showcase.

Just MHO.... good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by rugrats View Post
        Not sure if it still runs every spring, but my daughter was noticed (and contacted) by college teams from the cha and wcha when she attended the Shattuck St Mary's showcase in her junior year of high school. She was not a super star, but a decent consistent player.As HockeyEast states, your daughter needs to express interest to the schools by contacting them via email, introduce herself, attach a player profile, and a season schedule (including tournaments). Very important that the player, rather than the parent, makes contact.That said, SSM showcase is no NAHA showcase.Just MHO.... good luck.
        Thanks for the info I think you are referring to the Pinnacle Tournament at SSM? They had it a couple of years ago but not last year.

My daughter was recently given a invite to the RUSH Showcase in Toronto after she was seen by a Rush scout at a tournament. Trying to find more info about The Rush Showcase. Maybe some questions to ask them.

She is a Sophomoreso and it seems like a great opportunity. Like many others on the board with daughters that have their hockey dream to play and as parents we try to give them direction. Oh and money $$$$

Are emails or phone calls a better way to show interest?

Comment

Thanks for the info I think you are referring to the Pinnacle Tournament at SSM? They had it a couple of years ago but not last year.

My daughter was recently given a invite to the RUSH Showcase in Toronto after she was seen by a Rush scout at a tournament. Trying to find more info about The Rush Showcase. Maybe some questions to ask them.

She is a Sophomoreso and it seems like a great opportunity. Like many others on the board with daughters that have their hockey dream to play and as parents we try to give them direction. Oh and money $$$$

Yes, that's correct, it was the Pinnacle Tournament at SSM. I believe most showcase tournaments will announce the coaches/scouts that will be in attendence.

I'm sure a phone call wouldn't hurt, however an email with all the attached information and a request for a time to call THEM could work.

You may want to check out....
          http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/eligibility/becoming+eligible/recruiting

Comment

The Rush Showcase is run by Kelly Katorji, who also organizes the Beantown Classic that I mentioned in my previous post. Have not been to the Rush Showcase, but have heard good things about it and about Katorji. I do know some girls who have been asked by coaches in the past if they are going to be at the Rush Showcase, so many of the coaches must be going.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
              The Rush Showcase is run by Kelly Katorji, who also organizes the Beantown Classic that I mentioned in my previous post. Have not been to the Rush Showcase, but have heard good things about it and about Katorji. I do know some girls who have been asked by coaches in the past if they are going to be at the Rush Showcase, so many of the coaches must be going.
              Rush Showcase is the replacement of the old Prospects event, held in early June in Toronto. Plenty of scouts at that event. Both My D's played in it in the past.

Comment

Very impressed w/ Rush/Kelly K. Coaches from Prep schools to D-I all there. Seminars that covered D-I, (incl a separate one for Ivy's), D-III, CIS, sport phychology, SAT prep, goal scoring offered.

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                  Very impressed w/ Rush/Kelly K. Coaches from Prep schools to D-I all there. Seminars that covered D-I, (incl a separate one for Ivy's), D-III, CIS, sport phychology, SAT prep, goal scoring offered.
                  I spoke with Kelly recently while he was at a game so it was not a long conversation but got the overall view. I was a bit surprised by the number of teams he creates (20 plus), seems like a lot. Anything surprise you at a showcase that now you wish you would have asked?

Comment

I spoke with Kelly recently while he was at a game so it was not a long conversation but got the overall view. I was a bit surprised by the number of teams he creates (20 plus), seems like a lot. Anything surprise you at a showcase that now you wish you would have asked?
                    No real surprises. Last year was about helping my daughter take in a new experience and also letting her see what's out there. I think if she decides she wants to go again, this time we'd be more proactive in arranging to meet with coaches from schools that she likes.

Comment

Working...
                    X