Ohio State @ Minnesota State 11/30 - 12/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State @ Minnesota State 11/30 - 12/1

This is a big series for the Buckeyes as they are currently tied with North Dakota for 2nd place in the WCHA with 24 points. Right now the top four teams have separated themselves from the bottom four, but there are a lot of games left and anything can happen. That is why it is paramount the the Buckeyes not leave points on the table. On paper, this should be a six-point weekend for the Buckeyes, but these games are played on the ice, not on paper. If the Bucks do get six points this weekend, they will need to earn it out there. Minnesota State fans, tell us about your season so far and what we can expect this weekend.

Re: Ohio State @ Minnesota State 11/30 - 12/1

While you wait for Mavericks fans, I'll just say that MSU played Minnesota rather tough at Ridder a couple of weeks ago. Both games were even halfway through. Danielle Butters has played well for MSU in net.

For Buckeye fans that are interested but can't make the trip, MSU usually has free internet video on its Website, although it doesn't always include play-by-play audio.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Count me as one who can't make the trip, but I may check out the video feed. This is a big series for us. We need to keep ourselves in that top four. I believe we can do it. I'll be the first to say that we should have swept Princeton, but we need to erase that tape and focus on the next game. Coach Handrahan alluded to that when he tweeted something along the lines that we need to learn to finish. We still have road trips at Wisconsin and North Dakota and your team is certainly capable of coming to Columbus and taking two from us so it's paramount that we take care of business when we play teams below us. I like where we are currently but we need to keep our foot on the gas. I have faith in this coaching staff and our kids that they can do that.

Comment

Another Gopher fan. In addition to playing tough, it's also noteworthy that MSU played us much more aggressively then almost any other team. They put a lot of pressure on the puck and didn't sag back trying to clog everything up. You can debate the merits of this approach, as ARM and I did during the second game, but I have to think that if they came out that way against Minnesota, they probably play that way every night. Aside from questions of efficacy I found it very refreshing to watch a team that believes in an uptempo game strongly enough to skate with us. It was more effective for the Mavericks the first night, when they were the only team this year to hold us under four goals. My take is that if MSU had any idea how to actually score they'd be really dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
          My take is that if MSU had any idea how to actually score they'd be really dangerous.
          They would be even less dangerous without the considerable contributions of Lauren Smith, who originally commited to attend Ohio State. She's scored 11 of the team's 29 goals so far.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            Danielle Butters has played well for MSU in net.
            Any relation to Paul Butters, who played goalie for the Gopher Men back in the early '80's?

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            This is a big series for us. We need to keep ourselves in that top four. I believe we can do it.
            I'm going to be a little greedier and say we should aim for the top three. While my speculation is both idle and early, the route through the league playoffs looks much more favorable from #2 or #3. Positioning for an NCAA at-large bid also matters. Three WCHA teams in the big dance is at least plausible; IIRC the league has never gotten four teams into the field. And while our "usual quota" is three teams, the conventional wisdom is that accomplishing this will be more difficult than usual in this particular season. Don't get me wrong; it would be an honor to finish 4th in this league. But for the 2013 Post-Season, 4th gets you home ice for the first round and that's about it.

...it's paramount that we take care of business when we play teams below us. I like where we are currently but we need to keep our foot on the gas.
            This.

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            They would be even less dangerous without the considerable contributions of Lauren Smith, who originally commited to attend Ohio State.
            Somehow her initial commitment escaped my attention. I'll watch her with greater interest when the Mavs visit Columbus. Not with any hard feelings, mind you. I certainly wish Lauren well, except of course against the Buckeyes.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              I'm going to be a little greedier and say we should aim for the top three. While my speculation is both idle and early, the route through the league playoffs looks much more favorable from #2 or #3. Positioning for an NCAA at-large bid also matters. Three WCHA teams in the big dance is at least plausible; IIRC the league has never gotten four teams into the field. And while our "usual quota" is three teams, the conventional wisdom is that accomplishing this will be more difficult than usual in this particular season. Don't get me wrong; it would be an honor to finish 4th in this league. But for the 2013 Post-Season, 4th gets you home ice for the first round and that's about it.
              I think we can do it, but as Coach Nate likes to say, we need to finish. We need to get six points when they are there for the taking. Should be interesting this weekend!

Comment

The Buckeyes put 45 shots on goal against Minnesota State goaltender Danielle Butters, but they don't light the lamp until the shootout when MSU switched netminders following a 0-0 overtime tie.

Langen, Tarr, and Kuehl score in the shootout to win 3-1 and get the extra WCHA standings point.

I only really saw the third period -- in which I thought MSU had the better play -- and the OT -- when OSU couldn't convert a power play.
                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                  The Buckeyes put 45 shots on goal against Minnesota State goaltender Danielle Butters, but they don't light the lamp until the shootout when MSU switched netminders following a 0-0 overtime tie.
                  Kind of puzzling is it not? Had to be a reason. I'd like to hear it.
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                    Kind of puzzling is it not? Had to be a reason. I'd like to hear it.
                    They did the same thing against UMD and it worked. Apparently, the backup goalie is very tough on shootouts in practice. The probelm in a game is that she's been sitting on the bench cold for 2 1/2 hours and then has to go in with no warmup.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      They did the same thing against UMD and it worked. Apparently, the backup goalie is very tough on shootouts in practice. The probelm in a game is that she's been sitting on the bench cold for 2 1/2 hours and then has to go in with no warmup.
                      Yeah...I dunno...when the starter has faced 45 SOG and is perfect. I might have stuck with Butters in this one. Scoreless through reg and OT surprises though.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post

Langen, Tarr, and Kuehl score in the shootout to win 3-1 and get the extra WCHA standings point.

I only really saw the third period -- in which I thought MSU had the better play -- and the OT -- when OSU couldn't convert a power play.
                        That is definitely puzzling considering we couldn't score on Butters in regulation or the OT. It would have been nice to get six points this weekend, but if we can get the W in regulation tomorrow and get 5 points, I am not going to vent about a 5-point weekend on the road. Heck, if we end up with another shootout win, I will be fine with 4 of 6 points. There are no gimmes on the road in this league, well, unless you are Minnesota! I have to believe we aren't going to get shutout tomorrow. I am sure Coach Handrahan and the girls will make adjustments for tomorrow's game. Hats off to Chelsea Knapp. Coach Handrahan has gone with her exclusively this season in WCHA games and she has been solid in net for us for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                          Yeah...I dunno...when the starter has faced 45 SOG and is perfect. I might have stuck with Butters in this one. Scoreless through reg and OT surprises though.
                          Look at Backstrom with the Wild. He is usually pretty solid in regulation and can't stop a beach ball traditionally in shootouts. I'm guessing Butters has the same issue. Goalies have a habit of getting into their own head in those situations.

Comment

OSU women win 4-3 today. I didn't see the game, nor have I even read a box score yet, but I am happy with the five points. Six would have been nice, but I'll take five.

Comment

Working...
                            X