Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012-2013: NCAA Rankings - Week 7

Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
    Yes, I understand that's likely to be part of the issue here, but it's always rankled me just a bit. I think many people unwittingly conflate 'potential' with 'reputation,' and thus inflate a team's 'worth' not so much on what they've seen so far, but rather on what history tells them they should 'expect' going forward. NoDak seemingly always starts slowly under Hakstol, yet more often than not turns it up a notch come Jan/Feb; should we thus keep the previously-known-as Fighting Sioux in the Top Ten each November despite a so-so start? Michigan has advanced to the NCAAs a record 22 consecutive years (and counting), but does anyone really think that should boost their chances *THIS* year if their game doesn't improve in a Big Way in the coming weeks (boy, did they look over-matched vs. Cornell at MSG)?

God knows I'm hardly a Notre Dame football fan, but I have to respect the way they demonstrated their 'worth' on the field, rising incrementally each week all the way from 'others receiving votes' in the pre-season polls to unanimous #1 and a berth in the Nat. Champ. game come season's end (yes, being the sole bowl-eligible undefeated team certainly didn't hurt). It's been my observation - at least for hockey - that once you've landed in the polling Top 10 it's hard to get dislodged, especially if there's past history to back you up. But you better have some solid accomplishments to get you there in the first place. BC is a deserved #1, both from their play on the ice and as defending National Champions 30-1-0 in their last 31 games. There's nothing remotely like that in Minnesota's recent history, and that's what raised my eyebrows seeing the Gophers ranked in so many Top Five Lists. Prove it on the ice first (as Notre Dame did on the gridiron); playing the nation's 44th-toughest schedule shouldn't confer the degree of 'worth' they seem to have been given much too prematurely ...
    Sweet. It's the old "The Gophers haven't played Anybody yet argument. An oldie, but a goodie. Nice work. Personally I'd place them out of the top 20. Satisfied?
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

MN may not have played any top 10 teams, but is it better, like in DU's case, to have played a couple top teams in UNH and Yale but to have lost? We have no idea how MN will do against better competition, but we do know that DU lost to better competition, so good for them for trying, but they still failed their test. With only two losses, I would definitely have MN above DU.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
        MN may not have played any top 10 teams, but is it better, like in DU's case, to have played a couple top teams in UNH and Yale but to have lost? We have no idea how MN will do against better competition, but we do know that DU lost to better competition, so good for them for trying, but they still failed their test. With only two losses, I would definitely have MN above DU.
        So losing to bad teams is better than losing to good teams? Okay.

Please post your top 10. I'd love to see your rankings.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

1. Boston College
          2. New Hampshire
          3. Notre Dame
          4. Denver
          5. Boston University
          6. North Dakota
          7. Yale
          8. Miami
          9. St. Cloud State
          10. Minnesota
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

1. Boston College
            2. UNH
            3. Minnesota
            4. Notre Dame
            5. Miami of Ohio
            6. North Dakota
            7. Denver
            8. St. Cloud
            9. Boston U
            10 Dartmouth
            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

1) BC
              2) UNH
              3) Miami
              4) minnesota
              5) denver
              6) notre dame
              7) BU
              8) western michigan
              9) north dakota
              10) scsu

Comment

Before I get to my rankings, I agree with the general sentiment; Minnesota is often ranked so high based on its reputation. If you were really looking at last years performance and potential and reputation was not one of your intangibles, why wouldn't a team like Union at least break your top ten? As an alum, I am biased, but the facts are as follows. Union lost only two players of consequence from a team that made it to last year's frozen four. It still has a Hobby Baker finalist in goal. This all would show Union has potential. Furthermore, the rating metrics, although not significant in November, rate Union in the top ten. (PWR: 6th RPI: 6th KRACH: 8th). Thus, according to objective, although potentially flawed metrics, the team has performed better than Minnesota.

Obviously, there are valid reasons to omit Union from the top ten. E.g., ECAC; Jeremy Welsh, who went pro last year, was a big part of the offense; they haven't been a contended for the top ten until recently; they tied UConn and lost to Merrimack. Yet, similar reasoning would also cuts against Minnesota being in the top ten. Minnesota has a lower-than-average SOS, it lost its goalie to graduation, it and lost to Mich. Tech, Wisconsin, and Minn. State. And, they've played below expectation for most of the Lucia era.

Thus, if you have Minnesota in your top ten, but not Union--it appears that Minnesota made the cut based on its reputation.

1: BU
                2: NHU
                5: Dartmouth
                4: Denver
                5: Yale
                6: Union
                7: BU
                8: ND
                9: Miami
                10: Minnesota.
                Last edited by x1795x; 11-26-2012, 05:00 PM.
                Union Class of '07

Comment

Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
                  Yes, I understand that's likely to be part of the issue here, but it's always rankled me just a bit. I think many people unwittingly conflate 'potential' with 'reputation,' and thus inflate a team's 'worth' not so much on what they've seen so far, but rather on what history tells them they should 'expect' going forward. NoDak seemingly always starts slowly under Hakstol, yet more often than not turns it up a notch come Jan/Feb; should we thus keep the previously-known-as Fighting Sioux in the Top Ten each November despite a so-so start? Michigan has advanced to the NCAAs a record 22 consecutive years (and counting), but does anyone really think that should boost their chances *THIS* year if their game doesn't improve in a Big Way in the coming weeks (boy, did they look over-matched vs. Cornell at MSG)?

God knows I'm hardly a Notre Dame football fan, but I have to respect the way they demonstrated their 'worth' on the field, rising incrementally each week all the way from 'others receiving votes' in the pre-season polls to unanimous #1 and a berth in the Nat. Champ. game come season's end (yes, being the sole bowl-eligible undefeated team certainly didn't hurt). It's been my observation - at least for hockey - that once you've landed in the polling Top 10 it's hard to get dislodged, especially if there's past history to back you up. But you better have some solid accomplishments to get you there in the first place. BC is a deserved #1, both from their play on the ice and as defending National Champions 30-1-0 in their last 31 games. There's nothing remotely like that in Minnesota's recent history, and that's what raised my eyebrows seeing the Gophers ranked in so many Top Five Lists. Prove it on the ice first (as Notre Dame did on the gridiron); playing the nation's 44th-toughest schedule shouldn't confer the degree of 'worth' they seem to have been given much too prematurely ...
                  I certainly see your point on reputation skewing people's judgements. And again, based on performance so far this year, I'm not completely disagreeing with you on how you would rank Minnesota. However, I do disagree with you on Minnesota's potential.

They returned more scoring this season than any other team in college hockey by a wide margin, and returned all defenseman from a team that only allowed 2.3 goals/game and 24.9 shots/game last season. Plus, they brought in two highly touted freshmen defenders. Not to mention, they were the highest scoring team in college hockey last year and made it to the Frozen Four. Goaltending was their biggest concern coming into this season and Adam Wilcox has risen to the occasion.

They have just been very inconsistent so far this season. They have pretty consistently dominated in offensive zone time and shots on net, they just haven't been able to capitalize. Part of that can be contributed to the shuffling of lines and chemistry, and part of it is just being a little snake bitten. Lots of posts being hit and open nets missed so far this season. They also struggled to move the puck out of their zone efficiently at the start of the season as their freshmen defenders adjusted and a few of our veterans were struggling. This has been much improved recently.

So, while I agree that Minnesota probably shouldn't be a Top 5 team based on performance so far (and maybe not even a Top 10 team if you consider they haven't played a single team with a winning record thus far), it's hard to argue that the potential isn't there for this team to be amongst the very best in the nation regardless of reputation.

Just my $0.02. Working on rankings now
                  @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                    1. BC
                    2. Denver
                    3. Notre Dame
                    4. Minnesota
                    5. UNDakota
                    6. Miami
                    7. WMU
                    8. Dartmouth
                    9. SCSU
                    10. BU
                    Just as a side note, UNH has beaten 3 of the teams on your list, and two of them twice. Oh yeah, they haven't lost to any of them either, but carry on.

Comment

Here are my rankings:

1. BC
                      2. UNH
                      3. Denver
                      4. Miami
                      5. Notre Dame
                      6. Union
                      7. North Dakota
                      8. SCSU
                      9. BU
                      10. Nebraska-Omaha

Note: I tend to rank more on "what you've shown me so far" more than anything. Until the Gophers play more consistently, I can't put them in my Top Ten. The talent is there to beat anyone, but there have been too many defensive lapses (much better recently) and scoring has been too streaky (despite extensive offensive zone time and scoring opportunities).
                      Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM.
                      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                        #56 is generous.........but because Maine is SO bad, they were left out of the rankings, just like UNH was left out of your's
                        I make my rankings based on the likelihood of who will win the National Championship.
                        bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                        SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                        All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                        A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by x1795x View Post

1: BU
                          2: NHU
                          5: Dartmouth
                          4: Denver
                          5: Yale
                          6: Union
                          7: BU
                          8: ND
                          9: Miami
                          10: Minnesota.
                          I'm going to need a little clarification here. First, you have BU twice. Second, ND = ??.
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            I'm going to need a little clarification here. First, you have BU twice. Second, ND = ??.
                            Well clearly ND is the University of Notre Dakota.
                            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                              Apologies. I meant to mirror current PWR. Thus, my rankings should read:

1 Boston College
                              2 New Hampshire
                              3 Dartmouth
                              4 Denver
                              5 Yale
                              6 Union
                              7 Boston University
                              8 Notre Dame
                              9 Miami
                              10 Minnesota

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...#ixzz2DNI4rqBo
                              Union Class of '07

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
                                Just as a side note, UNH has beaten 3 of the teams on your list, and two of them twice. Oh yeah, they haven't lost to any of them either, but carry on.
                                Thank you, Gordon, I will. And I am eminently honored that you have deigned to use your yearly post for this gem.
                                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                                X