Fire Mike Eaves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Mike Eaves?

Poor recruiting of forwards and centers - worst offensive team in the league and maybe college hockey.
    lack of any player development on offensive side going back a long time
    poor coaching
    attendance way down, lack of any fan enthusiasm
    players consistently unprepared or unwilling to play for him

I'm finding it hard to find any reason not to fire him. I'm tired of hearing we're young for the third year in a row, or we have a tough schedule. We just got outcoached and outhustled by Mankato team with a first year coach at home. We look like we've given up already.

Am I missing any reason to keep him?

Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

3 more years under contract... that's the only reason that I can think that they will keep him. Maybe if the season goes horribly wrong and they finish with 7 or 8 wins, but even then I think Alvarez will keep him around.
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by Scottyp View Post
      Poor recruiting of forwards and centers - worst offensive team in the league and maybe college hockey.
      lack of any player development on offensive side going back a long time
      poor coaching
      attendance way down, lack of any fan enthusiasm
      players consistently unprepared or unwilling to play for him

I'm finding it hard to find any reason not to fire him. I'm tired of hearing we're young for the third year in a row, or we have a tough schedule. We just got outcoached and outhustled by Mankato team with a first year coach at home. We look like we've given up already.

Am I missing any reason to keep him?
      I'm on board with this. 8-10 of the forwards who played tonight would be 3rd or 4th liners at best on DU, MN or BC, plain and simple.

the reasons to want to fire Eaves now are as you state and as most people on the UW thread are stating, and the final nail in the coffin is this: the team will NOT get better any time soon. they'd have to wait to turnover 1/2 to 3/4 of the players and then those guys would have to be replaced by a whole hell of a lot of Blaine Moore-Jason Zent-Andrew Schier-Dany Heatley-Steven Reinprecht-John Byce-Steve Tuttle-Tony Granato-Scott Mellanby type players.

Impossible with Eaves at the helm because he absolutely under no circumstances will allow creativity to forwards, and that's why he'll never have more than 2 or 3 of the high-end guys on the team at one time when you absolutely need more like 6-8 of high end scorers and secondary scorers.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scottyp View Post
        We just got outcoached and outhustled by Mankato team with a first year coach at home. We look like we've given up already. Am I missing any reason to keep him?
        Mike Hastings is not exactly your typical first year coach. Have you ever seen his resume'? You are talking about a guy that was basically the Vince Lombardi of the USHL in his 14 seasons there. No losings seasons--EVER? The winningest coach in league history? 529-210-56? 3 league championships? 2 National championships? He was twice named the USHL’s Coach of the Year and, as the Omaha Lancer's general manager, besides being the Head Coach, was named the league’s GM of the year five times. During that time he developed 35 National Hockey League draft picks, many of whom are still playing in the NHL.

I don't think it's particularly shameful to lose a game against somebody with a background like this one. Wisconsin appears to have their problems but I don't think I'd try to pin any of the blame for it on the "poor quality" of the opponent's head coach in this instance.

This game might say more about Mike Hastings that it does about Mike Eaves.

Comment

Wisconsin is going down the tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            Mike Hastings is not exactly your typical first year coach. Have you ever seen his resume'? You are talking about a guy that was basically the Vince Lombardi of the USHL in his 14 seasons there. No losings seasons--EVER? The winningest coach in league history? 529-210-56? 3 league championships? 2 National championships? He was twice named the USHL’s Coach of the Year and, as the Omaha Lancer's general manager, besides being the Head Coach, was named the league’s GM of the year five times. During that time he developed 35 National Hockey League draft picks, many of whom are still playing in the NHL.

I don't think it's particularly shameful to lose a game against somebody with a background like this one. Wisconsin appears to have their problems but I don't think I'd try to pin any of the blame for it on the "poor quality" of the opponent's head coach in this instance.

This game might say more about Mike Hastings that it does about Mike Eaves.
            He wasn't saying that Hastings isn't a great coach in fact he was giving him quite the credit in just pointing out that this is his first season at Mankato and he hasn't had time to get players he recruited onto his team and they STILL made the Badgers who Eaves had had a decade to build into his team look awful.

Comment

Keep Mike Eaves!
              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                Keep Mike Eaves!
                I wonder if Alvarez even realizes they still have a hockey team.

Seriously though. Eaves. Lifelong contract a la Gagliardi. Please.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  I wonder if Alvarez even realizes they still have a hockey team.

Seriously though. Eaves. Lifelong contract a la Gagliardi. Please.
                  Bring in John Hill for the assistant position after this season as well. Please?
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                    Bring in John Hill for the assistant position after this season as well. Please?
                    Former asst coach to the best coach in hockey. I second the recommendation.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Former asst coach to the best coach in hockey. I second the recommendation.
                      When did Hill work under York?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        When did Hill work under York?
                        Who? /tArrogance

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                          He wasn't saying that Hastings isn't a great coach in fact he was giving him quite the credit in just pointing out that this is his first season at Mankato and he hasn't had time to get players he recruited onto his team and they STILL made the Badgers who Eaves had had a decade to build into his team look awful.
                          Thats exactly what I am saying.

Comment

I'll just preface by saying I don't much care for Eaves -- so take this as you will.

While I can certainly understand and see much of what the Wisconsin fan base is saying, I also think this Wisconsin team isn't going to look nearly as bad at the end of the year as they look now. The addition of Kerdiles and Zengerle in the line-up is going to give them a little more punch, and I think it will be enough to make them a pretty good team. They have the goaltending and defensive mindset to keep scores low and frustrate teams. Just a little bit of offense will go a long way.

Is that enough? Should Wisconsin better than "pretty good"? If I'm a Badger fan, I'd probably say no it's not enough, and yes the should be better. Objectively? As a Minnesota fan, I'm not qualified to answer that

I think there are certainly better coaches out there than Eaves. I also think that if Wisconsin went out and hired an "up and coming" coach, there is certainly a chance he would be worse than Eaves.

A couple years ago when Lucia was on the hot-seat at MN, I wasn't quite ready to kick him to the curb. 2 years ago I said if they miss the NCAA's I would be...they missed it, but I really thought they showed signs that year. Last year I said if they missed the NCAA's I'd be ready...but they ended up going to the FF. I don't know. That entire time when considering that question, the first question that came next was, who are they going to replace him with? If you don't have a good answer to that, I think it's hard to talk about replacing a guy.

How was Peterson tonight? He looked pretty good against MN, but you have about 1.3 seasons of evidence behind starting Rumpel. I guess I question the decision to bring Peterson back into the fold. At least when you are a bit desperate for conference points.

Comment

Knowing WI was a young team last year......and talking with Almsy a bit about the team....I expected a bit better from WI this year. Not happening, yet. Will it happen this year? Dunno. But if I were a WI fan (shudder), I'd wait until year end before bringing out the guillotine. And at year end, if this team is still this bad? Guillotine plus electric chair.

Comment

Working...
                              X