Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The name I'm surprised I haven't heard is Gwoz. I remember hearing a rumor back when he was fired that he was only coming back for a big ten or hockey helmet school.

But then again you have an administration that doesn't give two ****s about hockey.
    I'm guessing Gwoz would want way more than WI would be willing to pay. It's a big reason he and DU had their problems. They weren't paying him enough (in relation to other DU sports).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

It's still a big ten school. One of only maybe 6-10 schools that could afford him.

Of those, York, Hakstol, Lucia/Guentzel, and I'm sure there are others I can't immediately recall, aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe York. The only other school that might have an opening in the next few years is Michigan.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It's still a big ten school. One of only maybe 6-10 schools that could afford him.

Of those, York, Hakstol, Lucia/Guentzel, and I'm sure there are others I can't immediately recall, aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe York. The only other school that might have an opening in the next few years is Michigan.
        Assuming MI continues their downward season, that opening will come much sooner than later, methinks. Honestly, MTU paid more than they probably "should" have, in relation to what a school like that normally pays, but they realized they needed to step up their game.

I'm curious if there's another school or two that would follow suit.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I'm guessing Gwoz would want way more than WI would be willing to pay. It's a big reason he and DU had their problems. They weren't paying him enough (in relation to other DU sports).
          DU put up the bucks for lacrosse's Bill Tierney--multiple National Championships, Hall of Fame Career, and immediately gives DU lacrosse credibility, eclat and a recruiting destination. Not saying Gwoz wouldn't believe he deserved as much or more. Tierney and Gwoz had a very good relatiionship. But reliable sources reported that Gwoz did not have that good of a relationship with some members of the Board of Trustees who hold the purse strings and final decision.

IMHO nonrevenue producing, very limited fanbase, considered the third winter sport behind hockey and skiing, never been to the big dance, yet hyped by the administration, sport of basketball and that coach's salary were bile in Gwoz's throat. And it would take big bucks to clear his throat.
          GO DU !!!

Comment

The name I'm surprised I haven't heard is Gwoz. I remember hearing a rumor back when he was fired that he was only coming back for a big ten or hockey helmet school.

But then again you have an administration that doesn't give two ****s about hockey.
            Personally I'd probably age discriminate against Gwoz. (Because nobody can sue me. ) Besides the fact that he's said Wisco's time has passed with him, he's 61 and there's a handful of pretty qualified alumni in the 50 and under league that presumably you could get an extra decade out of. Provided they worked out of course. Which isn't a given. Wisconsin is a destination job in hockey, but it's also probably one of the harder places to coach in a lot of ways.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
              DU put up the bucks for lacrosse's Bill Tierney--multiple National Championships, Hall of Fame Career, and immediately gives DU lacrosse credibility, eclat and a recruiting destination. Not saying Gwoz wouldn't believe he deserved as much or more. Tierney and Gwoz had a very good relatiionship. But reliable sources reported that Gwoz did not have that good of a relationship with some members of the Board of Trustees who hold the purse strings and final decision.

IMHO nonrevenue producing, very limited fanbase, considered the third winter sport behind hockey and skiing, never been to the big dance, yet hyped by the administration, sport of basketball and that coach's salary were bile in Gwoz's throat. And it would take big bucks to clear his throat.
              From the source I had, we're pretty much on the same page. He felt he wasn't getting paid enough in relation to how much revenue was brought in via hockey compared to the other sports' coaches. It had been going on for a couple years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                Personally I'd probably age discriminate against Gwoz. (Because nobody can sue me. ) Besides the fact that he's said Wisco's time has passed with him, he's 61 and there's a handful of pretty qualified alumni in the 50 and under league that presumably you could get an extra decade out of. Provided they worked out of course. Which isn't a given. Wisconsin is a destination job in hockey, but it's also probably one of the harder places to coach in a lot of ways.
                I'd have no problem with Gwoz's age for the simple fact that the pieces are in place. It be different if I thought that UW would be a massive rebuilding program.

I'm just not sure that Gwozdecky would want to play third (or fourth or fifth) fiddle at UW even if UW were to step up with a $400,000+/year paycheck.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Almington;6070787]I'd have no problem with Gwoz's age for the simple fact that the pieces are in place. It be different if I thought that UW would be a massive rebuilding program.

I'm just not sure that Gwozdecky would want to play third (or fourth or fifth) fiddle at UW even if UW were to step up with a $400,000+/year paycheck.[/QUOTE

I believe Gwoz was paid $250K at DU. DU's hoops coach makes $400K. Absurd. Gwoz is a young 61. He would be a great 5-7 year hire.

Comment

Gwoz will be 62 by the start of next season. Anybody he recruits would probably be playing for a different coach by the end of his career.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Scottyp View Post
                      There was an article in the WSJ on Wednesday. Eaves said something like he wasn't worried about being fired, but if they didn't improve the university might not extend his contract by one year next summer. Given Barry's success hiring a football coach and then coaching the football team to a big win over Auburn in the Outback bowl, I am thinking he is feeling a bit invincible right now.
                      I was thinking the same thing except a different angle. Now that BA won his Bowl game and everyone loves him, he has HIS coach for the FB team...I think we hockey fans have a small window now to try to get Barry's and the AD's attention before Barry starts thinking about Spring football practices and Alabama, which he will in a week or two. Barry's not a hockey guy you know :-) but fan dissatisfaction in the form of empty seats (which will become more visible as more games are on TV) and a truly embarrassing season should get someone's attention.

I should add that I'll never wear a bag over my head or stop watching or listening to the games. But a change needs to be made IMO.
                      Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                        I think if we're being fair, it wasn't like that when Eaves was hired, (attendance in his first year is pretty close to this year's) then it was like that for quite awhile, and now it's not like that again.

If it's strictly fans in seats driven, the best suggestion I've heard was to hire Shannon Miller and move MJ over. (I love Mark Johnson, but he still wouldn't be my first choice as successor.) But he's wildly popular in Madison, and Wisconsin. And in the entire USA hockey world in general... and I wouldn't be surprised if in his in his first year he couldn't put another 2-3k old faithful fans in seats just by being behind the bench. Whether or not he could produce contenders or not is a different question, but it would make short term financial sense.
                        From the perspective of a UW women's hockey season ticket holder who has seen the witch in action.....are you efffing out of your mind? I'd slap you silly if you weren't in FL. Miller is a total D-Bag, as abrasive as a dried out piece of steel wool, and a total beotch. There's no way she belongs behind the UW bench. The game has passed her by. She could win titles when there weren't many powerhouses, now her team is just another team (though they are playing well right now). Just to over to the women's forum and read the thread about her not getting her contract renewed.

Now that I have calmed down I can see the dry humor in your post....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

I do see MJ energizing the masses if he were the men's side, but I do not want to see him leave the ladies. He has built them into a powerhouse and I would not want to risk that ending. I think just about any change will energize the masses on the men's side.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          I do see MJ energizing the masses if he were the men's side, but I do not want to see him leave the ladies. He has built them into a powerhouse and I would not want to risk that ending. I think just about any change will energize the masses on the men's side.
                          I wonder if MJ would even want to be the men's coach at this point? He would ALWAYS be compared to his father (even more than every other coach) and have the real likelihood of not being able to meet those standards.

To keep us armchair ADs at bay, any coach at UW would need to have an AVERAGE winning % of 0.600. That's a tall order, but certainly obtainable given that current top programs are at that level.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                            I wonder if MJ would even want to be the men's coach at this point? He would ALWAYS be compared to his father (even more than every other coach) and have the real likelihood of not being able to meet those standards.
                            I think that if at his mature age that's still a problem, he has a problem. Besides he was 50 times the player the ol' Badger ever dreamed of being, which is really what counts. Hockey coaches are all pretty much guys that either can't anymore, or never could play, but wish they could.

Hmmm....Maybe I should give up on being a Badger Player and apply for the coaching job?
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                              Gwoz will be 62 by the start of next season. Anybody he recruits would probably be playing for a different coach by the end of his career.
                              Gwoz's father, Dr. Geoge, lived until he was 93. He didn't retire from his medical practice until age 90! Longevity runs in the family.
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Every time I see people (especially on those good ole facebook comments) suggest Mark Johnson, I wonder what they think will happen with the women's team. Could you imagine? "I will be stepping down as your head coach to go to...well...I'll actually be right here coaching the men, because, ummmm...it's better." (And then, of course, there's all that recruiting-related stuff that you guys have talked about before.)

As Almington said, I doubt MJ would even want to jump to the men's team.

Comment

Working...
                                X