Fire Mike Eaves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

And let me say again for emphasis, you are in for a REALLY big treat with Grant Besse. He'll be an instant fan favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
      And let me say again for emphasis, you are in for a REALLY big treat with Grant Besse. He'll be an instant fan favorite.
      UW needs 3 of him every year the next 3 years to get anywhere. As Solo said, if Mersch and/or Zengerlee leave, UW is sunk. Well, they are already sunk, I guess they won't get above the surface then. They are just too thin on top end talent to survive defections @ F.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I get it. I really do. I saw no bright spots either. I deeply believed we had fundamental problems with our program that would take years to fix. I didn't have any faith in our committed recruits because so many during that stretch came in and did nothing.

But as an outsider who has seen Besse play a ton, he will instantly make a difference. I mean 40pt freshman difference. If you don't have any major departures, which I don't think you will, that spark will be HUGE.

It turned fast for us, and I think it will for you. You have outstanding goaltending. You guys are usually very sound defensively. I think you're just missing that one piece offensively. A guy like Besse will do wonders for other guys as well as rack up points.

I have been hard on you guys because you're our biggest rival, but I don't like seeing UW this down. And most of you guys here are very passionate about your team, and I know how it is to live and die with a struggling team. I feel for you guys a little.
        again, I really appreciate your input on this, you know your hockey and are forthright.

I hope you're right and UW can turn it around so that UW vs. MN games will once again be something to really look forward too
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
          Well according to Andy Baggot(Wisconsin hockey beat writer) Eaves isn't close to being fired. He also said they have lost 4,000 season ticket holders in the last 6 years, but said not all of it can be attributed to on-ice performance.
          I saw the Baggot interview too. He did say that, but I thought PB then followed up with a question/comment that the hockey program isn't currently being evaluated? Baggot replied something to the extent that "they are being evaluated and bottom line (I think he used that phrase) this team needs to start winning this year."
          Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by TUSCHWI View Post
            I saw the Baggot interview too. He did say that, but I thought PB then followed up with a question/comment that the hockey program isn't currently being evaluated? Baggot replied something to the extent that "they are being evaluated and bottom line (I think he used that phrase) this team needs to start winning this year."
            I would have loved to see that interview. 4000 season ticket holders over a 6 year period is a mass exodus. I have to believe based on the attendance the last 2 years that this trend has more leaving the last 2 years than the first 4 combined.

There's a serious issue with the fanbase being turned off by the team's performance. My hockey hardcore eldest son wanted me to turn off the game Friday and watch something else but we stuck it out. I can't say that I blame him. If hardcore fans are turning their backs, there's trouble in river city.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
              Well according to Andy Baggot(Wisconsin hockey beat writer) Eaves isn't close to being fired. He also said they have lost 4,000 season ticket holders in the last 6 years, but said not all of it can be attributed to on-ice performance.
              That's complete BS. While I'm sure that the economic situation has ACCELERATED the downward trend (Q: Well, Honey, we have to cut something. What should we cut? A: How about the hockey tickets? They have sucked lately and we'll always be able to get season tickets in the future if we want them again. Sometime in the future: Q: Hello, I am calling from the UW Athletic Department with a survey on why you didn't renew your Hockey season tickets. A: While I loved having the tickets, it was completely an issue of us having to cut something because of the cost. Q: So, on-ice performance had nothing to do with it? A: Not really, it was all about us having to cut costs.) if the team had been winning regularly I think that many of those people would have cut something else and kept the hockey tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                I would have loved to see that interview. 4000 season ticket holders over a 6 year period is a mass exodus. I have to believe based on the attendance the last 2 years that this trend has more leaving the last 2 years than the first 4 combined.

There's a serious issue with the fanbase being turned off by the team's performance. My hockey hardcore eldest son wanted me to turn off the game Friday and watch something else but we stuck it out. I can't say that I blame him. If hardcore fans are turning their backs, there's trouble in river city.
                I think the interview was during Saturday nights game. But in any case, you're absolutely right about it being a "mass exodus". You're spot on when you say there is a serious issue with the fanbase being turned off by the teams performance. And I'll add style of play to that mix. Other than when they are rolling and cycling the puck, the system Eaves plays is hard to watch when scoring is at a premium. And while I'm at it (on soapbox) maybe add a 2nd power play system to the mix. While Eaves' pp has proven successful at times, I think other teams, and fans, would crap their pants if the PP unit suddenly shifted into an unbrella or two D on top who shoot and 3 forwards crash the net....not all the time, just now and then.
                Go Badgers!

Comment

TUSCHWI - thanks for the re-cap, I REALLY hope this part attributed to Baggot is correct "they are being evaluated and bottom line this team needs to start winning this year."

I don't think there's anything unfair about that. 3 years out from a frozen four appearance and you're looking at a 3rd consecutive year on the outside looking in. At some point you need to re-load, not re-build all the time
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                    TUSCHWI - thanks for the re-cap, I REALLY hope this part attributed to Baggot is correct "they are being evaluated and bottom line this team needs to start winning this year."

I don't think there's anything unfair about that. 3 years out from a frozen four appearance and you're looking at a 3rd consecutive year on the outside looking in. At some point you need to re-load, not re-build all the time
                    You're welcome. I may be off by a word or two but that sentence was Baggot's final thought before they went to break, which is why it stuck in my head.
                    Go Badgers!

Comment

Looks like Eaves is close to landing a few high-end MNHS players. Both forwards. Both are Juniors and one of them is arguably the best Junior in the state after Connor Hurley (Notre Dame commit). The other isn't far behind. Both have been ripping it up so far this season. Both project to be (in my opinion) 3-4 year players because of size.

Don't give up yet

Comment

Looks like Eaves is close to landing a few high-end MNHS players. Both forwards. Both are Juniors and one of them is arguably the best Junior in the state after Connor Hurley (Notre Dame commit). The other isn't far behind. Both have been ripping it up so far this season. Both project to be (in my opinion) 3-4 year players because of size.

Don't give up yet
                        Are you referring to the two I've been talking/tweeting about lately?

Comment

Originally posted by TUSCHWI View Post
                          Yes, but the whole vibe of the interview was Baggot saying what is negatively going on in the program and pointing out that there doesn't seem to be any kind urgency coming from the athletic department. I think the question PB asked was something like "So you don't see any change coming at all?" in which Baggot gave the vague answer of "he's being evaluated." Well, he's evaluated every year. Then towards the end Baggot said he got the impression that the athletic dept. wouldn't let a coach go that's been to 2 NCAA championships in 7 years. According to the AD that wouldn't be grounds for dismissal. After I listened to it, I'm about 95% sure Eaves will be back next year, unless something EXTREMELY drastic happens.

Comment

How is it that two of the best junior forwards in the state eschewed playing for the Gophers?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              I would have loved to see that interview. .
                              I wish I would've taped it. I usually record every game, but forgot this time. I then decided to record the 11:30 replay and was going to type the interview word for word to see what others thought, but they skipped over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                                That's complete BS. While I'm sure that the economic situation has ACCELERATED the downward trend (Q: Well, Honey, we have to cut something. What should we cut? A: How about the hockey tickets? They have sucked lately and we'll always be able to get season tickets in the future if we want them again. Sometime in the future: Q: Hello, I am calling from the UW Athletic Department with a survey on why you didn't renew your Hockey season tickets. A: While I loved having the tickets, it was completely an issue of us having to cut something because of the cost. Q: So, on-ice performance had nothing to do with it? A: Not really, it was all about us having to cut costs.) if the team had been winning regularly I think that many of those people would have cut something else and kept the hockey tickets.
                                I didn't see any winky icon so you are serious? You are saying performance has been a bigger impact than the economy on attendance?
                                Last edited by Toe Blake; 12-11-2012, 01:41 PM.
                                Old time hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X