Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    In all fairness, I don't think the spotlight is very bright to begin with, as far as BA is concerned.
    Totally agree, just kinda had to bump the thread.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      In all fairness, I don't think the spotlight is very bright to begin with, as far as BA is concerned.
      Pretty much true. Somewhere in this thread there's a post that says something like "It's not like Alvarez sits up at night thinking, "We're Wisconsin! We can't suck at Hockey!""

While it certainly doesn't keep him up at night, I'm guessing he spends at least 4 or 5 minutes a week checking on hockey. (Ok, right now even that's probably out the window.) But I do think that, if we go like 6-20-4, at some point during those 4 or 5 minutes a week even Barry's going to go, "Wait a minute, we suck at Hockey?? Geez... maybe I should look into this..."

He might be a hockey guy at all, but he still doesn't like losers under his watch.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        Pretty much true. Somewhere in this thread there's a post that says something like "It's not like Alvarez sits up at night thinking, "We're Wisconsin! We can't suck at Hockey!""

While it certainly doesn't keep him up at night, I'm guessing he spends at least 4 or 5 minutes a week checking on hockey. (Ok, right now even that's probably out the window.) But I do think that, if we go like 6-20-4, at some point during those 4 or 5 minutes a week even Barry's going to go, "Wait a minute, we suck at Hockey?? Geez... maybe I should look into this..."

He might be a hockey guy at all, but he still doesn't like losers under his watch.
        Alvarez is nothing more than a face for the athletic department. If you're going to praise or criticize anyone in that department in regards to decisions on hockey, It's Sean Frazier.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          Alvarez is nothing more than a face for the athletic department. If you're going to praise or criticize anyone in that department in regards to decisions on hockey, It's Sean Frazier.
          Yeah, but unfortunately he oversees football too, right? (And Women's hockey ...and thus, I fit Mark Johnson into another post.) With Bielema throwing the department into a tizzy, I doubt anyone's paying attention to hockey soon. I just picture Barry popping in and getting some kind of report on how things are going... or maybe he just runs through the website? Anyway, the team maybe has to suck pretty bad, but at some point even Barry's gotta take notice.

I still think Coach Eaves would do well back in the NHL.

Oh... uh... Nevermind.

edit: Well Barry might take notice after he coaches the Rose Bowl, I mean.
          Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 12-05-2012, 10:15 PM.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            Yeah, but unfortunately he oversees football too, right? (And Women's hockey ...and thus, I fit Mark Johnson into another post.) With Bielema throwing the department into a tizzy, I doubt anyone's paying attention to hockey soon. I just picture Barry popping in and getting some kind of report on how things are going... or maybe he just runs through the website? Anyway, the team maybe has to suck pretty bad, but at some point even Barry's gotta take notice.

I still think Coach Eaves would do well back in the NHL.

Oh... uh... Nevermind.

edit: Well Barry might take notice after he coaches the Rose Bowl, I mean.
            I'm sure Barry hears the results but I doubt he delves too deep into what happened with the exception of really big series. Frazier on the other hand is tuned in and I've even seen him make a road trip with the team (not sure how often he does that).

I know we rag on the guys in the athletic department a lot but after all they did help get a new practice facility built whether we like their approach or not.

Comment

The only way Eaves gets fired is if the university starts getting some bad press. That is what will really make the Athletic Dept. really take notice. People sitting at the game in full view of everyone (first deck, behind benches or penalty boxes) wearing bags over their head might start doing the trick. Would probably draw some camera time and get more people talking about it. Or maybe we could sponsor a bag-game? Downside is that people may kick you out or threaten to take your tix away.

Comment

1 goal against the 52 worst defensive team in the country on home ice in front of a lot of empty seats.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  1 goal against the 52 worst defensive team in the country on home ice in front of a lot of empty seats.
                  Makes sense, since Wisconsin currently ranks 54th in offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    that has to hit home, along w/the fact they're going to lose $2million in revenue if attendance continues as it's been for the first 4 games (not including tonight obviously which was another dip).

UW is falling precipitously and this SHOULD get the coach fired under any "normal" circumstance.
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Well according to Andy Baggot(Wisconsin hockey beat writer) Eaves isn't close to being fired. He also said they have lost 4,000 season ticket holders in the last 6 years, but said not all of it can be attributed to on-ice performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
                        Well according to Andy Baggot(Wisconsin hockey beat writer) Eaves isn't close to being fired. He also said they have lost 4,000 season ticket holders in the last 6 years, but said not all of it can be attributed to on-ice performance.
                        Oh, what a load of crap.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
                          I'm going to make a call myself. My family "donates" thousands to the badger fund to retain the effing football and basketball seats, well in exchange I want a WINNING ****ING HOCKEY TEAM! Eaves has to go, this is just embarrassing and untenable.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            I'm going to make a call myself. My family "donates" thousands to the badger fund to retain the effing football and basketball seats, well in exchange I want a WINNING ****ING HOCKEY TEAM! Eaves has to go, this is just embarrassing and untenable.
                            And if a ton of people weren't just waiting in the wings to donate thousands to get your football and basketball tickets, that phone call would probably mean a lot more.

I know your frustration. I thought about cancelling my Gopher Hockey season tickets and wrote and called Joel Maturi dozens of times asking for Lucia's head. Even the Twin Cities mainstream media was saying it was probably time for a change. But instead, he got extended.

With the amount of years left on Eaves contract, I think you'd be wasting your time man.

Goid news is, I think things are going to get better for UW. Grant Besse will make an immediate and significant impact next season. The kid just know how to put the puck in the net. Then you have Dvorak and Malone in 2014 (I believe), who are also looking like high-end offensive talents.

And the best thing about all three of those guys is that they aren't prototypical NHL sized players, so they should be 3-4 year guys.

Eaves hit the same snag Lucia did. Between 2006-2009 the Gophers lost a ton of guys early, then had a ton of guys struggle because the departures forced them to be brought in too soon. Add to that a few guys who just didn't pan out and it was a frustrating time to be a Gopher fan.

But Lucia adjusted his recruiting (like Eaves apoears to be doing now), and it turned pretty quick. Just be patient. I promise things will get better.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                              And if a ton of people weren't just waiting in the wings to donate thousands to get your football and basketball tickets, that phone call would probably mean a lot more.

I know your frustration. I thought about cancelling my Gopher Hockey season tickets and wrote and called Joel Maturi dozens of times asking for Lucia's head. Even the Twin Cities mainstream media was saying it was probably time for a change. But instead, he got extended.

With the amount of years left on Eaves contract, I think you'd be wasting your time man.

Goid news is, I think things are going to get better for UW. Grant Besse will make an immediate and significant impact next season. The kid just know how to put the puck in the net. Then you have Dvorak and Malone in 2014 (I believe), who are also looking like high-end offensive talents.

And the best thing about all three of those guys is that they aren't prototypical NHL sized players, so they should be 3-4 year guys.

Eaves hit the same snag Lucia did. Between 2006-2009 the Gophers lost a ton of guys early, then had a ton of guys struggle because the departures forced them to be brought in too soon. Add to that a few guys who just didn't pan out and it was a frustrating time to be a Gopher fan.

But Lucia adjusted his recruiting (like Eaves apoears to be doing now), and it turned pretty quick. Just be patient. I promise things will get better.
                              I appreciate your kind words and insight, I really do, however it's tough from my perspective to see the bright spots

for one thing, Besse is a great player but he alone is not enough to take the team to the promised land and acknowledging that, I don't know why Zengerle or Mersch stay for their Senior seasons which would make matters exponentially worse next season. but even if they stay, put Besse on this year's team. they still would not be .500

re: 2014 if Kerdiles and Besse are still around they could possibly have 2 strong lines but still, that's a lot of ifs...

I don't know, I REALLY hope you're right.

I remember hopping into the gopher threads during the "fire lucia" years and saying my piece which is he's a great coach don't get rid of him. the difference is I respected so much what he did at CC (that proved exactly how great he was, resurrecting that team from the scrap heap). W/Eaves? I'm not nearly as certain.

Comment

I get it. I really do. I saw no bright spots either. I deeply believed we had fundamental problems with our program that would take years to fix. I didn't have any faith in our committed recruits because so many during that stretch came in and did nothing.

But as an outsider who has seen Besse play a ton, he will instantly make a difference. I mean 40pt freshman difference. If you don't have any major departures, which I don't think you will, that spark will be HUGE.

It turned fast for us, and I think it will for you. You have outstanding goaltending. You guys are usually very sound defensively. I think you're just missing that one piece offensively. A guy like Besse will do wonders for other guys as well as rack up points.

I have been hard on you guys because you're our biggest rival, but I don't like seeing UW this down. And most of you guys here are very passionate about your team, and I know how it is to live and die with a struggling team. I feel for you guys a little.

Comment

Working...
                                X