Fire Mike Eaves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I think that's very fair...although I don't think MTU deserves to be above Wisconsin without more recent success...I would add Michigan State, Wisconsin, Colorado College and Cornell to create a top 11.
    Yeah, it's just a matter of opinion. Personally, I don't tie winning with history and tradition as much. MTU has a far longer history, and the success they have had in that history as a relatively small school is the result of a strong hockey tradition IMO. That's why I have them above UW.

I agree on the others you mentioned. I'd have them in the 7-10 area too. I also respect the history and tradition at Princeton and Harvard.

Comment

• Re: Fire Mike Eaves?

Is it any wonder JDUBBS1280 only returned as a troll?

Don't blame the rest of us for him, we don't even want him.

Comment

I just started playing the Jess Myers drinking game based on the last 2 pages of this thread and it is becoming a lot more entertaining...
        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

why do I care what a youth hockey coach in Inver Grove Heights has to say about UW? I don't. Jess Myers? who? so what! big deal!
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            why do I care what a youth hockey coach in Inver Grove Heights has to say about UW? I don't. Jess Myers? who? so what! big deal!
            But... But.... But it's JESS MYERS!!!

Sorry. I'm with you. Just gettin' gwhinwi another drink.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

For fun, would you trade your teams coach for Eaves?

not a chance.
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                For fun, would you trade your teams coach for Eaves?

not a chance.
                There is an AIC or Bentley fan who would disagree.
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  There is an AIC or Bentley fan who would disagree.
                  He does get paid a half a million a year.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                    I think attendance is a factor, but you also have to consider that Wisconsin and North Dakota have only 1 program in state, where Michigan and Minnesota have multiple. Minnesota would likely be drawing more if SCSU and, BSU, Mankato hadn't made the jump. Not to mention, a school like Minnesota makes more $$ than anyone else even with less attendance, so they built a smaller, more intimate arena. It is also dedicated to hockey, where as others are larger because they are not. Minnesota also has more games televised than anyone else.

For decades Minnesota had the longest seadon ticket holder waiting line in the nation. Things like that should be a factor. As should other things I've spoken about plenty in the past, but don't want to get into because this thread isn't the place.
                    As I recall, Minnesota built adjusted the plans to Mariucci to specifically make it bigger than the Dane Co. Coliseum so that it could take the attendance title away from UW. Which it did for the few years until the Kohl Center was built. I bet there are those at UM that wish Mariucci was bigger.
                    St. Norbert College Green Knights
                    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                    ---
                    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                      I think attendance is a factor, but you also have to consider that Wisconsin and North Dakota have only 1 program in state, where Michigan and Minnesota have multiple. Minnesota would likely be drawing more if SCSU and, BSU, Mankato hadn't made the jump.
                      You've got to be kidding me? The Metro Area around the Gophers is big enough to fill up the John three times over... The fact that people also attend hockey in Bemdiji, Mankato, Saint Cloud and Duluth really has no affect on how many Minnesota is pulling into the arena.
                      Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                      Eric's Twitter
                      The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

• Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                        As I recall, Minnesota built adjusted the plans to Mariucci to specifically make it bigger than the Dane Co. Coliseum so that it could take the attendance title away from UW. Which it did for the few years until the Kohl Center was built. I bet there are those at UM that wish Mariucci was bigger.
                        I don't recall that being a motivation at all. Why build it larger when you already pull in more revenue than anyone because you have the largest TV deal in the country and can sell tickets for more than virtually anyone? The Kohl Center was built as large as it was because of basketball.

I don't think the UMN has any regrets. With virtually every Gopher game being televised and 5 in-state D1 schools and a pro team in town, not to mention great high school games, competition for ticket sales is tough. They get the necessary revenue they are after.
                        Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-28-2012, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goon View Post
                          You've got to be kidding me? The Metro Area around the Gophers is big enough to fill up the John three times over... The fact that people also attend hockey in Bemdiji, Mankato, Saint Cloud and Duluth really has no affect on how many Minnesota is pulling into the arena.
                          And every person in the metro is a hockey fan? Is a Gopher fan? Nearly 30,000 people attend D1 hockey games in Minnesota every Friday and Saturday nights. And I k ow quite a few St Cloud and Mankato fans that used to follow the Gophers when it was just UMN and UMD playing D1. I'm sure there are some BSU fans who did the same. Throw in 19,000 at Wild games, then high school games. Lots of competition for hockey spectators of the sport.

You are being less than honest if you can't acknowledge that the competition for hockey spectators is much greater in Minnesota.

And who cares? They pull in more $$$ than UND or UW anyways. The topic is firing Mike Eaves, and my point is that I don't believe UW will buy out his contract and dish out big $$$ to another coach.
                          Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-28-2012, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                            the people of Minnesota built Mariucci, and a person from Minnesota built the Ralph. I guess college hockey really does orbit Minnesota.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goon View Post
                              I am probably going to regret defending he whom I have made a habit of ignoring, but you're living in a fantasy land if you don't think other programs elevating to D1 didn't poach some Gopher fans. As a guy who lived thru the 70's and 80's, I can contest to that. The size of the metro area is irrelevant because not everyone who lives there is a Gopher fan. Nor does every Gopher fan live in the Twin Cities. Nor every Badger fan in Madison or UND fan in Grand Forks. In the 70's and 80's, most of Minnesota outside the Duluth area and pockets of Northwest Minnesota was Gopher territory. That is much less true today.
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I wasn't going to post in this thread, but now that I have, I'd like to add that I also listened to that GPL podcast JDUBBS, and I think you are misconstruing what Jess said. He was talking about the formation of the B1G. And while he did say Madison has never been a hockey town, he never said or alluded to the fact that he felt Wisconsin hockey would diminish. He was making the point that he thinks playing more traditional B1G opponents will connect with people in Madison more than the smaller WCHA schools.
                                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                                X