• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G

Originally posted by state of hockey
    Wow. That should shake things up a bit.
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Re: Maryland and Rutgers to the B1G

Maryland just got through dropping seven sports so hard to see them adding hockey, but who knows in this crazy age. Maybe it will be the price of admission.

Here's how this conference expansion phase will go down. They will blow the Big Ten up like a balloon and then when the time is right/wrong depending on your perspective, the big boyz will quit leaving the remainders holding the bag.

Take a guess what side of the fence Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State, Indiana, Michigan State & Nebraska will be on?

And then on the other side will be the Maryland, Rutgers, Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa & Northwestern.
    Last edited by dggoddard; 11-19-2012, 01:06 PM.

Comment

UConn would have been a nice addition instead of Rutgers... maybe when they go to 16

Comment

**** the big ten
        I wanna go fast!

Comment

I strongly doubt UConn moves into the B1G. With Rutgers and Maryland moving out, it has been heavily rumored that UConn will move into the ACC.

Comment

This puts the number of member schools sponsoring hockey below the magic number of 50%. Or is that not the actual magic number?

Comment

Originally posted by PGB View Post
              This puts the number of member schools sponsoring hockey below the magic number of 50%. Or is that not the actual magic number?
              The magic number is six schools, regardless of the number of schools in the conference. Six is also the minimum number of teams for an NCAA auto-bid.
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                The magic number is six schools, regardless of the number of schools in the conference. Six is also the minimum number of teams for an NCAA auto-bid.
                Do you know where in the Handbook it says that? I've been looking all over for it and cannot find it.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by PGB View Post
                  Even if this was an a issue I'm sure they would get some waiver.
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    Do you know where in the Handbook it says that? I've been looking all over for it and cannot find it.
                    Chapter 18 on Championships.

"18.5.1 Division Championship. To be eligible for automatic qualification into any Division I championship, a conference shall: (Revised: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)
                    (a) Have at least six member institutions classified in Division I in the sport in which automatic qualification is
                    sought; and
                    (b) Meet all requirements for conference automatic qualification into any division championship as set forth in
                    Bylaw 31.3.4. (Revised: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)"
                    UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                      Chapter 18 on Championships.

"18.5.1 Division Championship. To be eligible for automatic qualification into any Division I championship, a conference shall: (Revised: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)
                      (a) Have at least six member institutions classified in Division I in the sport in which automatic qualification is
                      sought; and
                      (b) Meet all requirements for conference automatic qualification into any division championship as set forth in
                      Bylaw 31.3.4. (Revised: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)"
                      If anything you'd have to look at the league bylaws. Though, if this is a 50% thing.... Then, yeah, it would certainly be interesting
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Even if it were a 50% thing I would imagine that the current six would stick together and merely call the conference something else. Who the hell would let them back into their conferences?
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                          Even if it were a 50% thing I would imagine that the current six would stick together and merely call the conference something else. Who the hell would let them back into their conferences?
                          Don't worry. I'm sure MN and WI are like-minded enough to get into the NCHC.

Seriously, this is not going to affect the BTHC at all...
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            Maryland just got through dropping seven sports so hard to see them adding hockey, but who knows in this crazy age. Maybe it will be the price of admission.
                            All it takes is one big donor a la Penn State and you are off and running. The founder of Under Armour (Kevin Plank) is a Maryland alum and a billionaire. Maybe he could be their version of Terry Pegula someday. That area is a pretty good hockey market with the Capitals.

Here's how this conference expansion phase will go down. They will blow the Big Ten up like a balloon and then when the time is right/wrong depending on your perspective, the big boyz will quit leaving the remainders holding the bag.

Take a guess what side of the fence Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State, Indiana, Michigan State & Nebraska will be on?

And then on the other side will be the Maryland, Rutgers, Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa & Northwestern.
                            It comes down to media markets. You don't give up sizable media markets and the money that comes with it. Some of those "other side" schools actually have more attractive media markets than the "big boyz" you mentioned.
                            University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Zero chance the BTHC doesn't happen, but in a fantasy world where it didn't happen you are kidding yourself if you think the other conferences wouldn't take them back with open arms
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                              X