No announcement yet.

Saint Anselm possibly moving up to D-I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saint Anselm possibly moving up to D-I?

http://www.uscho.com/2012/11/15/atla...issioner-says/

Chris Lerch reporting there have been discussions between Saint A's and Atlantic Hockey on bringing the Hawks in once UConn leaves for Hockey East.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: Saint Anselm possibly moving up to D-I?

Umm ????

Comment

Originally posted by wickfan View Post
      Umm ????
      How does that fit into the regulations concerning who is allowed to play in DI?

I haven't looked lately, but it seems to me that there are a ton of hoops to be jumped through
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        How does that fit into the regulations concerning who is allowed to play in DI?

I haven't looked lately, but it seems to me that there are a ton of hoops to be jumped through
        Is it because there is no Division II championship they can find a loophole?

There are how many Division II schools playing Division I hockey? atleast 10 correct? (I counted 15 including Lindenwood for the women's Division I.)
        Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 11-15-2012, 11:52 AM.
        GO LAKERS!!!
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

There are how many Division II schools playing Division I hockey? atleast 10 correct?
          That's what I'm guessing. The NCAA said that it still wouldn't be a fan of any more one-sport play-ups once the moratorium ended, but the lack of an available championship seems like a pretty good reason to make an exception.
          Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
          A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
          A Handful of ECAC West Championships
          A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
          Some National Championships:
          Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
          Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
            That's what I'm guessing. The NCAA said that it still wouldn't be a fan of any more one-sport play-ups once the moratorium ended, but the lack of an available championship seems like a pretty good reason to make an exception.
            Our resident blogger for Bentley hockey breaks it down a little bit:
            http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...ion-st-anselm/

Here's how it works:
            St. A currently plays as part of a D3 conference, but they cannot take part in the D3 conference tournament or national tournament because they're a D2 team. As a result, they take part in the NE-10 conference tournament that's held with the four or five other teams that actually play a D2 schedule. Since there is no D2 national championship sponsored, any Division 2 school can play up one division as long as its not sponsored (and then be grandfathered in). In essence, if there were no D3, all D3 schools could compete at D2. Because there's no D2, a D2 school can move up without penalty.

No D3 schools can move anymore. The last team allowed was RIT, and the RIT womens team was allowed to jump this year ONLY because the mens team was already moved up to D1. So they're the last team to ever move to D1 from D3.

Because St. A is a D2 program, they can move to D1 without incurring a penalty for Title IX. They are not forced to increase spending or add a women's program, although it's likely the women's team would move to the CHA, which is adminstered by the AHA and is essentially the female's equivalent (there are a number of women's schools in the CHA that compete in AHA like Robert Morris, mercyhurst, and RIT). They would not need to increase money to start the program or add scholarships, since there is no scholarship minimum as part of the AHA. IN fact, RIT does not offer hockey scholarships, and UConn didn't offer them until they announced they would move to Hockey East. Plus there's no scholarships at service academies. So St. A can move without penalty or Title IX threat at all because they dont need to increase spending.

They would not affect scheduling since the replacement for Uconn could play int he eastern scheduling. The two pods (east vs. west) play teams in their own pod three times but play opposing pod teams twice over the same weekend. The only added expense for St. A is travel, which I don't think they're taking note of since it would be a substantial increase. Travel costs do not have an effect on Title IX.
            Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post

Here's how it works:
              St. A currently plays as part of a D3 conference, but they cannot take part in the D3 conference tournament or national tournament because they're a D2 team. As a result, they take part in the NE-10 conference tournament that's held with the four or five other teams that actually play a D2 schedule. Since there is no D2 national championship sponsored, any Division 2 school can play up one division as long as its not sponsored (and then be grandfathered in). In essence, if there were no D3, all D3 schools could compete at D2. Because there's no D2, a D2 school can move up without penalty.

No D3 schools can move anymore. The last team allowed was RIT, and the RIT womens team was allowed to jump this year ONLY because the mens team was already moved up to D1. So they're the last team to ever move to D1 from D3.

Because St. A is a D2 program, they can move to D1 without incurring a penalty for Title IX. They are not forced to increase spending or add a women's program, although it's likely the women's team would move to the CHA, which is adminstered by the AHA and is essentially the female's equivalent (there are a number of women's schools in the CHA that compete in AHA like Robert Morris, mercyhurst, and RIT). They would not need to increase money to start the program or add scholarships, since there is no scholarship minimum as part of the AHA. IN fact, RIT does not offer hockey scholarships, and UConn didn't offer them until they announced they would move to Hockey East. Plus there's no scholarships at service academies. So St. A can move without penalty or Title IX threat at all because they dont need to increase spending.

They would not affect scheduling since the replacement for Uconn could play int he eastern scheduling. The two pods (east vs. west) play teams in their own pod three times but play opposing pod teams twice over the same weekend. The only added expense for St. A is travel, which I don't think they're taking note of since it would be a substantial increase. Travel costs do not have an effect on Title IX.
              While the blogger certainly has some knowledge on the NCAA structure...he/she certainly didn't do their homework on how successful St. A's has been "beating up on D-III teams."

They've been a .500 hockey team in the ECAC East for a number of years now.

Upon further review courtesy of CrosbyNU63, St. Anselm's record in the ECAC East since 2000 is: 72-93-21

And against the 14-time defending ECAC East regular season champions, they are 1-10.
              Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 11-15-2012, 02:38 PM.
              GO LAKERS!!!
              Oswego State '09

Comment

While the blogger certainly has some knowledge on the NCAA structure...he/she certainly didn't do their homework on how successful St. A's has been "beating up on D-III teams."

They've been a .500 hockey team in the ECAC East for a number of years now.

Upon further review courtesy of CrosbyNU63, St. Anselm's record in the ECAC East is: 72-93-21

And against the 14-time defending ECAC East regular season champions, they are 1-10.
                ANd that part about winning a conference championship, umm, yeah. since 1999, they are 7-7 in those games.
                Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post

Here's how it works:

There was one??

Comment

There are how many Division II schools playing Division I hockey? atleast 10 correct? (I counted 15 including Lindenwood for the women's Division I.)
                    Cripes Prez,

How many times have I posted on this topic? To wit....
                    20.4.1 Multidivision Classification. A member of Division II or Division III may have a sport classified in Division I, provided the sport was so classified during the 2010-11 academic year. Such a classification shall continue until the institution fails to conduct the sport in Division I in any following academic year. (Revised: 8/9/07, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)
                    In other words, if you were not playing up in the 10-11 season, you can't do that anymore.... And Norwich can't play in Division I ice hockey until it gets to Division II. That process takes a minimum of 3 years (D-II By-Law 20.3) and has an invitation from a D-II multisport conference (NE-10??) to play....

20.5.1 eligibility for reclassification. A member of Division II may petition to change its membership to Division I subject to the following prerequisites: (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)
                    (a) The institution shall have been an active Division II member for the preceding five years;
                    (b) The institution shall be in compliance with all Division I minimum sports sponsorship and financial aid membership requirements; and
                    (c) The institution shall have received a bona fide offer of membership by an active Division I multisport conference.
                    But for the 6 NE-10 schools not part of Hockey East or AHA, there is an option...
                    20.8.2 Division II options when no Division II Championship is Conducted. An active member institution that holds membership in Division II is eligible to compete in the Division I championship in those sports for which no championship is conducted in Division II. The Division II institution shall declare its intention to compete by June 1. This declaration of intent shall be effective for a minimum of three years. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/92)
                    20.8.2.1 Participation in Division I Championship. To be eligible for the Division I championship in such a sport, the Division II member institution is required to meet all Division I institutional and individual eligibility requirements and may use Division I financial aid limitations in that sport as permitted under Bylaw 20.9.1.1. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/92)
                    20.8.2.2 Exception for Maximum Number of Contests or Dates of Competition. A Division II member institution that is eligible for a championship in another division because there is no championship in that
                    sport in its membership division shall apply the maximum number of contests or dates of competition in the sport involved that applies to the division in which it declares its intention to compete.
                    In other words, the current non-Division I playup Northeast 10 schools may petition to be eligible for the Division I ice hockey championship (the women don't have that problem as there is a National Collegiate Championship for Division I & II). If they do, they can offer up to 18 schollys and compete in their own NE-10 league AND get an AQ into the D-I tournament (if 6 teams in the NE-10 all decide to do it).

Wishing is not going to make it happen, but there is a way to make it happen, if the administration(s) want to do it.
                    Last edited by joecct; 11-15-2012, 04:47 PM.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

In the past $$$ has always been the issue with St. A's because everyone claims a D1 program is much more expensive than D3. However for anyone who has ever been to Sullivan Arena it looks like a D1 facility; I not sure you could put additional seats on the other side but I bet you could get 2,500 seats in than arena. Manchester is also a good location from hockey and the MA border is only 20 miles away.
                      2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                      2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                        However for anyone who has ever been to Sullivan Arena it looks like a D1 facility; I not sure you could put additional seats on the other side but I bet you could get 2,500 seats in than arena.
                        I've had the chance to tour Sullivan Arena and it is an impressive facility. It was surely built with the idea of a future expansion of the hockey program.

There is plenty of open/empty space on the back side of the rink where more seating could easily be installed. The home team locker rooms are killer. The ventilation scheme for the player's lockers is clever and well done. The press box looks professional. The Zamboni® garage is spacious (yeah, that's something most rinks can only dream of). A new parking area went in near the rink this past summer.

Basically, Sullivan arena is ready for D1.

Comment

Attended the game between Nowich and St. A's Friday night at Sulivan Arena where the reported attendance was 1,323 (it felt like there were at least another 1,000 fans in the arena). But the arena has lot of space to put in additional seating so if they go D1 this rink could be one of the best around. I realize there were a fair number of Norwich fans at the game but the atmosphere was just like you would see in a Norwich/Middlebury, or Norwich/Plattsburgh game. The students were even standing at ice level around a portion of the rink beside the far end. I bet UVM would love to have this facility just the way it is.
                          2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                          2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                            Attended the game between Nowich and St. A's Friday night at Sulivan Arena where the reported attendance was 1,323 (it felt like there were at least another 1,000 fans in the arena). But the arena has lot of space to put in additional seating so if they go D1 this rink could be one of the best around. I realize there were a fair number of Norwich fans at the game but the atmosphere was just like you would see in a Norwich/Middlebury, or Norwich/Plattsburgh game. The students were even standing at ice level around a portion of the rink beside the far end. I bet UVM would love to have this facility just the way it is.
                            No, they would not.
                            Go 'Wick!

Comment

A little more fuel to this story...

http://www.uscho.com/atlantic-hockey...e-aha-members/

Saint Anselm expressing heavy interest in moving up to Division I and joining Atlantic Hockey.

That could cause a chain-reaction of events in the Division III world. What will Saint Michael's do if that were to happen?

Do the Saint A's women follow suit and does Holy Cross finally pull its Division I in name only women's team out of the ECAC East and start putting some resources into it to compete in D-I?
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                              X